? for the ladies, please.

Welcome to the Cycle Oregon Forum! We hope you enjoy it and look forward to your postings.

Thank you

Moderators: Cowboy, Jackson, chris@cycleoregon

? for the ladies, please.

Postby fledgling » Sat Aug 10, 2013 3:24 pm

OK, so I'm a newbie to CO. I have read with delight all the Bag balm posts and know I am not alone and will supplement my chamois butter with some bag balm. but this ? is a little more personal... I shave my "bikini line", but worry that that increases chaffing - will waxing help????
fledgling

Re: ? for the ladies, please.

Postby dunshay04 » Mon Aug 12, 2013 9:52 pm

I use chamois butter only. I learned my lesson last year when I used bag balm and experienced some sores that were rather painful. Had never experienced that problem before when using chamois butter. So, if you are changing what you normally do, I suggest trying it before you get to CO. I limit the shaving area to decrease the possibility of other problems. I would also suggest taking some diaper rash ointment with you. If a sore does develop, apply it to the area after you shower and maybe again before you go to bed. Creates a good barrier so your underwear doesn't bother it. Hope this helps.

Also, one day when I was running late, I changed my clothes to get to yoga before I showered. The bag balm discolored the shorts I was wearing. Never experienced that problem with chamois butter.
dunshay04

Postby czyogi » Fri Aug 15, 2014 10:22 pm

I prefer waxing over shaving, just make sure you do either about a week before the ride or you might end up with some bumps that aren't fun to ride on. Clipping is also nice, keeps things cooler but again, do it about 7 days prior. Also bring camoseptine or desitin, you might need it toward the end of the week.
czyogi

Postby JessiS » Sun Aug 30, 2015 5:37 pm

Any stubble is going to cause problems. Hair in that area is there for a reason (many actually), so why not let it grow a bit and do its job. Having hair down there prevents bacteria from reaching the skin - and it helps reduce the friction between shorts and skin.

Bag Balm works well for me in terms of prevention, as well as zinc oxide. Butt Butt'r is good too, but more expensive. I can not stand the smell of Desitin, so I get the plain zinc oxide from the pharmacy. No icky baby butt smell, and it washes out easier.

Once the sores set in, NOTHING works better than 10% benzoyl peroxide. Use it at night after your shower, with PJ's and under ware that can risk getting bleached. This is antibacterial, and encourages new cell growth.

The right match of saddle and shorts will prevent most problems, but once you start riding 60+ miles everyday, most of use suffer some problems. Starting with a clean bum is most essential, so taking a shower or sponge bath in the morning can help.
JessiS

Return to Cycle Oregon