Recumbents

Welcome to the Cycle Oregon Forum! We hope you enjoy it and look forward to your postings.

Thank you

Moderators: Cowboy, Jackson, chris@cycleoregon

Recumbents

Postby Rfinley67 » Tue Apr 01, 2014 9:10 pm

This is my first time riding Cycle Oregon. I ride a Catrike 700 trike. Is this an appropriate cycle for the ride? Are their many recumbents on the ride?
Rfinley67

Re: Recumbents

Postby mytrot » Wed Apr 02, 2014 8:10 pm

RF
I would say that the number of trikes is similar to any group ride. Mostly upright road bikes but you will see a lot of different bikes.

You should be fine on a recumbent as long as you have trained.

Hilly ride for a recumbent but that just makes the finish sweeter!

ET
mytrot

Postby Force 5 Robert » Sun Apr 06, 2014 10:31 am

Having done my last three Cycle Oregon week rides on an ICE QNT trike - I can say that if you do your training you will have an AWESOME time on a trike.

8)
http://rosecityrecumbentcycles.com/
Force 5 Robert

Postby leisure1 » Tue May 06, 2014 12:35 pm

There are sure some whacky impressions about recumbents. I have done CO 9 times on an upright and 15 times on a bent. Frankly I think you have to be a masochist to ride an upright more than 30 miles. Last year a guy noted he was amazed that I was able to keep up… At the time I was passing him on an uphill and I had a 12 pack of beer on ice on the rack.
I don’t know why there is so much misconception about bents. You climb about the same – but you are faster on the flats and downhill. Your legs are at the same elevation as your heart – so your heart doesn't work as hard. Your butt, shoulders, arms and hands do not hurt or go to sleep. You don’t wear lycra - and you don't need chamois butter. You sit upright – so you don’t strain your neck to see around you. In fact - you actually see whats around you - instead of the back wheel of the person you are drafting.
If there is any drawback – it might be that you get really oddball questions... like you must have a mental illness to want to ride one.
I train about half as much on the bent as I did on an upright – and I still beat half the riders into camp.
leisure1

Postby Force 5 Robert » Wed May 07, 2014 7:37 pm

I will second all that which was said above. :mrgreen:
http://rosecityrecumbentcycles.com/
Force 5 Robert

Postby Firebucks » Wed May 07, 2014 8:44 pm

I have yet to see a recumbent cyclist that can climb hills very fast.
Firebucks

Postby grandpabent » Thu May 08, 2014 6:48 am

Yes in 4 years of benting I have yet to see anyone who is fast climbing on a bent.When in a paceline with regular bikes I don't even see the rear wheel of the bike in front.Usually I just see what is at eye level on the bike in front which is what is resting on the seat and depending on who is in front that can be good or bad.
grandpabent

Postby Jackson » Fri May 09, 2014 5:51 am

I think they make up for their lack of speed on the climbs during the downhill sections.
Jackson

Postby Routearrows » Fri May 09, 2014 10:43 am

Yes to everything noted above! This will be my 13th CO, all on a bent (Easy Racers Goldrush & Ti-Rush) and I love it, especially for the "wide screen mode" position so I can drink in the world we sail through. The majority of riders on CO understand and appreciate the value of a bent, but we still do get the occasional comment i.e. did you break your back?" or my favorite, while using the body sock: "is it hot in there?" Via bent is the best way to enjoy events such as CO, so welcome aboard! "This is the way to go!"
Randall
Routearrows

Return to Cycle Oregon