forum for minors

Welcome to the Cycle Oregon Forum! We hope you enjoy it and look forward to your postings.

Thank you

Moderators: Cowboy, Jackson, chris@cycleoregon

forum for minors

Postby Brettha » Mon Feb 11, 2008 3:11 pm

My son (15) will be riding with us this year. I wonder if we can start a forum so the kids can get to know each other online. Or, is that a BAD idea?

Thanks,

Brett
Brettha

Postby Jackson » Mon Feb 11, 2008 6:50 pm

Keep personal information limited. It's not a bad idea.
Jackson

Postby aktiv » Tue Feb 12, 2008 8:59 am

My 13 year-old (by then) will ride with us if we ride this year (he rode last year also). I like the idea, but don't know where to start with it.

Cheers

Keith.
aktiv

Postby bradc » Mon Jun 23, 2008 12:55 pm

How about a forum for the parents of minors? We may have more to discuss about our kids than our kids do!

I, for one, am a CO newbie who offered my 13-year-old son a chance to do the ride. I think I'm doing ok with helping him train (a little late starting the training for him, because of school), but it's so new for me as well. We did the Strada training ride back in May, and that was very helpful. We decided months ago to forgo the second Strada ride last Saturday for a chance to ride the Tour de Blast up at Mt. St. Helens (82 miles, 6200 ft of climbing). We were able to do the whole ride. He was pretty wiped out at the end, but in good spirits. We also forwent the CO clinic and training ride on 6/14 so that he could ride the 55-mile Pioneer Century loop, which he missed the previous week due to illness. That also went well. These rides earlier in the season show how much training ground we have to cover to be ready for CO. We will definitely be doing the 3rd Strada ride in August.

bradc
bradc

Postby Brettha » Mon Jun 23, 2008 1:07 pm

I think you may be right bradc.

Teenagers are something. I'm impressed with these long rides you're doing with your son. We have put about 1600 miles on our bikes since last November, but have yet to ride more than 45 miles in a day. Last weekend the temperature in Los Angeles was triple digits and we had to ride between 6-10 am before it got too hot.

The weather has cooled (today it's not supposed to get above 93) and now I'm looking for a group ride because 1) riding with a large group is very inspiring 2) it's a good idea to learn how to ride with a lot of other cyclists.

I rode CO2 and CO3 a long time ago. My son is fifteen and he and my husband ride a helluvah lot faster than I do. But, the one thing my kid isn't so good at is recognizing his limits. I'm a little concerned about his endurance. Especially since he's a show off and would never ride the sag wagon.

How long are these Strada rides?

brettha
Brettha

Postby bradc » Mon Jun 23, 2008 2:47 pm

The first Strada ride (called early-season training) was relatively flat and had two optioins: one was about 21 miles, and one was 36. We (I) chose the 36-mile loop, which was about all my som could take at the time. I don't know the lengths of the other two (there's one left called late-season training), but I'm going to inquire and I'll post them. I assume they are progressively longer.

The biggest challenge facing my son (aside from training with a newbie) is learning to pace himself, which I'm hoping he'll learn to enjoy as he sees the benefits of it. He likes to take off, slow down, take off, stop and rest, etc. It drives me nuts, but I understand that he's less tolerant of the constance of road biking (we're mountain bikers originally, which lends itself to the younger mind).
bradc

Return to Cycle Oregon