Does anyone really lose weight cycling?

Welcome to the Cycle Oregon Forum! We hope you enjoy it and look forward to your postings.

Thank you

Moderators: Cowboy, Jackson, chris@cycleoregon

Does anyone really lose weight cycling?

Postby grin4joy » Wed Jun 18, 2008 8:09 am

Help! My plan of action back in February was to start training and watch these extra 20 lbs just melt right off my body. :lol: Hmph, that has certainly not been happening. Yep, muscles weigh more than uh, fat and I do feel muscles in my legs and other places that I haven't felt in years, but I am very sad with my lack of results (I refuse to blame it on the ice cream and brownies). Anyone else have this problem or any suggestions? I would prefer not to be dragging this excess up those hills. :(
grin4joy

Postby Slingshot » Wed Jun 18, 2008 9:49 am

Ride more eat less :D I have had the same problem trying to shed those final few pounds to make climbing those hills effortless. The more I ride the more I want to eat. I find it useful to have a cycle computer that calculates calories; probably not very accurate but it gives you some sort of objective measure of your output... Another useful trick is to workout over lunch. Probably not "recommended" but it does eliminate calories on the input side of the equation. I take a spinning class over my lunch hour and I don’t feel too hungry afterwards.

SS
Slingshot

Re: Does anyone really lose weight cycling?

Postby Don Bolton » Thu Jun 19, 2008 11:15 am

Now that summer has finally sort of arrived... Start riding more longer distances when you can and supplement those with frequent short day rides. A 70 ish mile day on Sat followed by a 50 or so mile trip the following (or swap) and 3 or four 10 to 12 mile chunks in the week between will melt the flab. Providing you aren't eating everything in sight.

I gain 5 to 10 lbs in winter despite year round riding. Starting about now the shedding process begins. You will need to watch the intake however but the 20lbs can be shed between now and CO. You might "find" some of them again next winter though.

Don "just don't burn yourself out" Bolton

grin4joy wrote:Help! My plan of action back in February was to start training and watch these extra 20 lbs just melt right off my body. :lol: Hmph, that has certainly not been happening. Yep, muscles weigh more than uh, fat and I do feel muscles in my legs and other places that I haven't felt in years, but I am very sad with my lack of results (I refuse to blame it on the ice cream and brownies). Anyone else have this problem or any suggestions? I would prefer not to be dragging this excess up those hills. :(
Don Bolton

Postby dunshay04 » Thu Jun 19, 2008 11:59 am

Absolutely! In 2004 when I was training for my first CO I lost way too much weight. Over the last few years I gained some of it back -- not all of it but probably more than I should have. Now that I'm actually "training" rather than recreational riding, I'm starting to lose the weight again -- not a lot though, but I can defintely tell the muscle is building and the clothes are fitting differently. I'm excited to see what happens as the summer progresses and the training intensives.
Sharon
dunshay04

Postby StarlightPurpleIF » Mon Jun 23, 2008 6:54 am

I once lost 90 lbs. solely though: (1) cycling and (2) diet change, as opposed to going on a diet.

Any every year I also gain weight over the winter and lose it in the spring if I ride like I normally do.

Here's is a suggestion: Since you are already riding, cut out/back on the ice cream and brownies and see what happens.
StarlightPurpleIF

Postby David R » Mon Jun 23, 2008 8:46 am

For weight loss purposes you want to ride longer and slower. I know the slower part sounds strange but it is true. If you ride hard your body wont break down fat but breaks down muscule then puts it back by asking you to eat more. If you ride slow your body goes to the fat stores and you won't have as large an appatite later.

I have not been able to control my weight by riding alone, I have had to alter my diet as well but I tend to loose 15 to 20 pounds each summer and then gain back 10 to 15 during the winter. On averge I'm loosing about 3 pounds a year now. Also just because your weight isn't going down dosen't mean you are not loosing size.
David R

Postby slv0700 » Mon Jun 23, 2008 4:08 pm

It's all in how your clothes fit...........
slv0700

losing weight cycling

Postby SummerBreeze » Mon Jun 23, 2008 4:29 pm

Yipee, so there's actually something good about being slow!!
SummerBreeze

Postby grin4joy » Wed Jun 25, 2008 9:16 am

Ok, after careful reading here and tracking my own intake...I'm cutting back on the food! (Oh jeez, I do love to eat all the really bad stuff (':?') ) Saturday on the CO training ride, Gina mentioned that we should all be really concentrating on the quality/type of food we are eating now, especially as CO is just weeks away (YAY!)
grin4joy

Postby kcweir » Wed Aug 06, 2008 5:32 pm

no alcohol, increase ride length not speed and the weight should come off unless you are old like me
kcweir

Postby David R » Wed Aug 06, 2008 8:36 pm

We are all old, other wise we wouldn't be able to take this time off because our kids would be in school. There is a reason why the avg. age is 49.
David R

Postby djgeorge » Wed Feb 18, 2009 11:21 pm

I have never lost weight cycling or training for marathons without conscious effort to control my diet as well as exercising. Otherwise I just eat more as the exercise increases. The first time I did CO in 2004, I went in with a great wieght, but gained 7 pounds during the week (thanks Pizzacato and Widmer!). :mrgreen:
djgeorge

Postby DWM » Sun Feb 22, 2009 10:51 am

I lost a pound per day during CO 21. I ate moderate amounts at the feedings,a few snacks on the road and pedalled hard. One pound of fat equals 3500 calories, I need 2850 calories/day for maintenance (I weigh 190lbs) and I estimated that I burned 700 calories/hour while riding. So any calorie expenditure in excess of intake equals weight loss. CO 21 had a positive and (lasting!) on effect on my health! Can't wait for CO 22!

DWM
Langley BC
DWM

Postby WayneF » Wed Oct 21, 2009 9:34 pm

I lost 17 pounds from February to September. I also rode 3520 miles before the ride. It is way easier to push the plate away then it is to climb the hills. I'm glad I lost the weight, but there's got to be an easier way.

On many of my training rides, the middle point of the ride was an ice cream store. A&W Rootbeer floats were also used for replenishment.
WayneF

Postby DWM » Sat Oct 24, 2009 8:46 pm

WayneF wrote:I lost 17 pounds from February to September. I also rode 3520 miles before the ride. It is way easier to push the plate away then it is to climb the hills. I'm glad I lost the weight, but there's got to be an easier way.

On many of my training rides, the middle point of the ride was an ice cream store. A&W Rootbeer floats were also used for replenishment.

Congrats on your considerable mileage and weight loss accomplishments this year! Isn't bike riding just the best!

D Wayne M
Langley BC
Canada (Eh!)
DWM

Next

Return to Cycle Oregon