Does anyone really lose weight cycling?

Welcome to the Cycle Oregon Forum! We hope you enjoy it and look forward to your postings.

Thank you

Moderators: Cowboy, Jackson, chris@cycleoregon

Re: Does anyone really lose weight cycling?

Postby IbisRider » Fri Feb 05, 2010 3:33 pm

I am of the group that gains and loses every year, a 15 lb swing at least. If you want to jump start your weight loss, I recommend that you do two workouts per day a couple of days per week with at least one day in between each of the two heavy days. More specifically, one hour in the morning and one hour in the evening. In the past when I have done two spin classes on the heavy days, the weight melts off relatively quickly. My belief is that each workout gets your metabolism working at a high rate; thus you jack it up in the morning and again in the evening for a full day of high metabolism. Your metabolism never quite gets back down to resting level on those days. This is in addition to other riding and workouts such with weights, pilates and yoga.
IbisRider

Re: Does anyone really lose weight cycling?

Postby johnncarol » Tue Feb 09, 2010 10:17 am

After CO 2008 I was off the bike due to health issues until this past August. I started riding three days a week, 30 to 40 miles and also reduced my calorie intake at lunch. I also gave up virtually all snack foods. By Jan 1 I had lost 16 pounds. I now seem to have become stuck at 180 so have implemented a reduction in calories at dinner. I want to get down to a solid 170 and be there for the ride. I absoluetly agree that longer and slower is better. I use a heart rate monitor for control and stay at or below 80% of max unless climbing. On climbs I try to stay somewhat below my max. In Aapril we will start serious training on the tandem as my wife wants to lose 10 pounds. I have a complete training schedule worked out including the use of mapmyrides so we know distance and climbing. We will build up to 60 mile rides with about 3,000 feet of climbing, three times a week in August. I guarentee that Carol will lose her ten pounds. It is more difficult as you get older and we are 20 plus years beyond the average age of 49.

johnncarol
johnncarol

Previous

Return to Cycle Oregon