3 Questions about CO 2007...

Welcome to the Cycle Oregon Forum! We hope you enjoy it and look forward to your postings.

Thank you

Moderators: Cowboy, Jackson, chris@cycleoregon

Postby dougnlis » Mon Mar 26, 2007 8:21 pm

MarbleMtn wrote:Go for the cleats. The really will help on the long uphills and even better is knowing your feet will not come off the peddles on the steep downhills. The stiff soled cycling shoes are worth it too.

?Why are cycling shoes with cleats called clipless?

Clyde

Rather than try slipping in a link here, I will just paste the definition from the Master of All Things Bicycle, Sheldon Brown of Newton Mass. He has a fantastic web site through his employer, Harris Cyclery, that includes a glossary that is well worth anyone's checking out. The Gospel according to Sheldon:

"Clipless Pedals

"Up until the late '80s, the choice was between plain pedals or pedals with toe clips and straps. Since "clipless" pedals provided a way to have a secure attachment to the pedal without the use of toe clips, the name stuck, even though it is sometimes confusing to newcomers.
"Clipless" or "Step-in" pedals use a mechanism similar to a ski binding. In fact the first successful system was made by a ski binding manufacturer, Look. Clipless pedals use a cleat which is bolted to the bottom of the shoe. When the rider steps on the pedal with the cleat, the cleat locks into the pedals mechanism, and is held firmly in place. Some systems hold the foot at a fixed angle, others allow various amounts of "float", or angular rotation of the foot on the pedal.

"With most clipless pedal systems, the foot is disengaged by twisting the heel outward. Some of the earlier systems, such as the pioneering Cinelli model, required the rider to reach down and operate a release mechanism by hand. This style is sometimes jocularly referred to as 'death cleats.'"

So sayeth the word. To make matters worse, racers in the days of toe clips had cleats screwed into their shoes to further improve the shoe-to-pedal connection. These helped only when pulling toward the rear of the stroke, so most people who had to walk during the day as well as ride never tried them. But those really are named cleats, like in cleats on soccer or football shoes. Sheldon calling the things on the bottoms of our clipless pedal shoes "cleats" just confuses things further.

None of this would matter one bit except that bicyclists tend to live forever, and while they may forget where they left their keys or what their spouses' names are, they remember the names they call every part of their bikes. Clip means toe clip, clipless means without toe clips. Everyone understands "clipping in" refers to clipless, and that helps you understand why one should never think too hard when cycling. It just goes around in circles.

I happily go back and forth between clipless and toe clips. A few years ago the stoker (what was her name?) and I did a week that was at least comparable to Cycle O in British Columbia. Toe clips all the way and never a complaint on that account, partly because the days of rain and the steep hills put all other hardships out of our minds.

Ride what is comfortable to you.
Steel is Real
dougnlis

Postby MarbleMtn » Tue Mar 27, 2007 7:53 am

Thanks. Clyde
MarbleMtn

Postby matt.picio » Tue Mar 27, 2007 9:41 pm

admin wrote:Matt - go for the clips!!!! ...
It may take you a few rides to get fully accustomed to them, but when you do, you'll never look back.

Yep, that's what I did. They've been remarkably easy to get used to, but my shoes already have part of the sole separating. (New Forte shoes from Performance) Can you superglue shoe foam?
matt.picio

Postby donald lockridge » Wed Mar 28, 2007 8:01 am

We have found that Gorilla GLue works excellent on just about any job we need, other than putting irrigation pvc pipe together. Might want to check about porous aspect.
donald lockridge

Postby Routearrows » Wed Mar 28, 2007 8:25 am

"Rule #3" applies here, which is "Never buy cheep tools" or shoes in this case. Cheep tools always end up being more expensive in the long run.
R.
Routearrows

Postby StarlightPurpleIF » Fri Mar 30, 2007 8:34 am

"?Why are cycling shoes with cleats called clipless?"

Those first metal and now plastic "buckets" or "baskets", as some people call them, attached to the front of pedals were also historically known as "toe clips." Pedals using cleats did away with toe clips, hence the name "clipless pedals."

It is funny because we now talk about clipping in and out of clipless pedals, but when we actually used toe clips there was no such talk.
StarlightPurpleIF

Postby matt.picio » Thu Apr 05, 2007 9:43 am

I don't know if cheap is so much the problem as "new". The shoes I bought are a new model. I'm rough on equipment anyway, so it could just be me.

A friend of mine said REI has some sort of "shoe glue", so I'll give that a shot, or look at Gorilla Glue - thanks for the advice!
matt.picio

Postby vamw5330 » Mon Jun 11, 2007 3:40 pm

Hi there, my husband and I did CO last year - our first and we're doing it again.

I would agree with the other posts - take enough bike shorts rather than trying to wash them.

I had a problem with the coffee - I didn't find it very good and did buy a latte a few times. I actually switched to tea both hot and iced for much of the ride.

I ride with clips and was just fine last year.
vamw5330

order up!

Postby suziqt » Mon Jun 11, 2007 3:43 pm

Vam,
They always had a latte' vendor at each camp. Boy, do we babyboomers know how to camp or what??
SuziQT
suziqt

Postby bdombrow » Mon Jun 18, 2007 3:25 pm

This will be my 3rd CO and here is my experience with laundry.

The first time I took two days worth of bike clothes and an extra set of rainy day/cold weather bike clothes. I would wash a set each day, usually using the shower method. This almost got me into trouble when I was not able to dry out a set due to the weather.

The second time I took three days worth of bike clothes. This worked out well. The day the bad weather rolled through, I was able to dry my clothes the next day. I did a combination of shower washing and bucket washing when a bucket was available. A water tight bag will work if there isn't a bucket. You may want to bring some laundry detergent as well. Don't a full scoop like you would with a machine. You'll have some serious suds if you do.

You'll see plenty of people getting creative when it comes to drying clothes. I used my bike and my tent. Take some clothes pins and some string and you can dry more clothes. I dried some clothes inside the tent a couple of times.

Based on all this, I'm taking enough bike clothes to get to or from the lay over day, which ever is longer. The layover day is the best time to get your clothes dry since you don't have to break camp. I'm also taking a water tight bag and some soap for the clothes as well.
bdombrow

Previous

Return to Cycle Oregon