Self-supported re-ride of 2008 - where to camp?

Welcome to the Cycle Oregon Forum! We hope you enjoy it and look forward to your postings.

Thank you

Moderators: Cowboy, Jackson, chris@cycleoregon

Self-supported re-ride of 2008 - where to camp?

Postby megahurtz » Mon Feb 09, 2009 5:13 pm

I'm planning to ride the 2008 route on my own, but I'm having a hard time finding campsites at some of the destinations. I found nothing decent near Baker City. Union is also a bit of a problem.

Any recommendations?
megahurtz

Re: Self-supported re-ride of 2008 - where to camp?

Postby Jackson » Mon Feb 09, 2009 8:25 pm

Baker City Motel & RV Park 880 Elm Street Baker City, OR 97814 541-523-6381

Union Hotel 326 N Main Street Union, OR 97883 541-562-6135 RV park next to hotel

Both sites are available for viewing through google.

John
Jackson

Postby megahurtz » Tue Feb 10, 2009 9:51 am

Thanks for the motel suggestions.
I'd really prefer camping though ... any suggestions for campgrounds?
megahurtz

Postby Jackson » Tue Feb 10, 2009 7:44 pm

both locations have RV park which I believe have camping facilities. Check them out to confirm.
Jackson

Postby riding2live » Tue Mar 24, 2009 8:49 pm

Maybe an easy way to gain the info you want is to contact each city. I googled Union and their website on the "www" is cityofunion.com. Click on visitors at the bottom of their page.

Baker is Bakercity.com. There are links to people who may have your answers. The Baker site also has "LINKS" to website for other nearby cities to assist your search including Halfway.

Just google "town name" and "oregon"

Good luck on your self-supported ride. Should be "fun" from Halfway to Joseph.

Gene, Gene the Bikin' Machine
Ride like the devil's behind you, becuz he is---and he/she is drivin' a car textin' on the phone.
riding2live

Postby martha » Thu May 07, 2009 5:33 pm

Hello,

I would also like to ride this route self-supported in a couple of weeks. I wonder about the camping along the way... Are there any particularly nice campgrounds to stay at?

Are there any parts of this route which do not have any campgrounds to stop at?

What happens if I arrive at a campsite and it is all full? Will they let me pitch a tent somewhere? Or would they actually send a cyclist away? (seems wrong.. but i don't know how it all works).

Thanks.

martha
martha

Postby riding2live » Mon May 11, 2009 10:24 pm

Maybe this will help a little. I looked up the website I mentioned before ( www.cityofunion.com ) and clicked on their "visitors" link at the bottom of the page. Eventually with a little searching I came across a site that lists reference sites for camps near Baker a few of the other towns.
That site is www.fs.fed.us/r6/w-w/recreation/recsites/index.shtml You can copy and paste that to your browser address line. This may work also with other town sites as I mentioned in a previous post. Good luck on your ride.
Ride like the devil's behind you, becuz he is---and he/she is drivin' a car textin' on the phone.
riding2live

Postby martha » Wed May 13, 2009 9:32 am

Thanks for looking up those links. However, I think that this is a different part of Oregon than the one that I will be cycling... I will down at Medford/Grant's Pass area, which I just realized is the 2009 ride (rather than the 2008 ride as the subject suggests). Sorry! My mistake.
martha

Postby riding2live » Wed May 13, 2009 4:21 pm

Sorry Martha,
I didn't realize you were talking about riding the '09 route. I didn't tie it together with you starting the thread about long term parking in Medford area since this thread started as being about someone wanting places to camp while riding last years route. But maybe you can do some similar searches and come up with places to camp. I rode 10 days across Texas and found people to be very hospitable to allow you to camp almost anywhere if you just talk to them a bit. Mostly places with a little land just out of town somewhere. Good luck on your ride.
riding2live

Return to Cycle Oregon