carbon or steel

Welcome to the Cycle Oregon Forum! We hope you enjoy it and look forward to your postings.

Thank you

Moderators: Cowboy, Jackson, chris@cycleoregon

Re: carbon or steel

Postby Alex from Eugene » Wed Mar 17, 2010 1:53 pm

I don't know how I would tell. I have gotten a lot "softer" in 30 years and I notice that for sure but don't notice anything different about the frame.

I also had an earlier breakage experience with that frame. Riding at night (with no light :oops: ) in Bethesda, MD near the NIH in 1984 or so I crashed into a British scientist riding on the wrong side of the bike path. This bent the forks and when the bike shop tried to bend them back the braze broke. Yep, Trek fixed that one for free also. 8)

I find it's easier and more comfortable to ride the carbon frames with modern components but the old 531 steel frame just keeps on going.
Alex from Eugene
"work to eat, eat to live, live to ride, ride to work"
Alex from Eugene

Postby ken f » Thu Mar 25, 2010 9:23 am

Steel bikes don't get "soft". If there is a change in their ride quality over time, it is either some form of breakage (an unseen crack maybe?) or just your perception. But the physical qualities of steel stay a constant unless it's been stressed so much as to exceed it's elastic limits, i.e. bend.
ken f

Postby checkered_demon » Thu May 06, 2010 2:49 pm

I've ridden a steel Raleigh since Nixon was president, and rode seven CO's on it, usually at the back of the back (although I enjoy stopping to enjoy the photo-ops). I got a ti bike last year (My wife said: "At least you didn't buy a Miata.") and found the ride to be very similar to my steel bike, but faster; it is as close to a fountain of youth as I'll ever get, as my ride times are what they were 20 years ago.

The Checkered Demon
checkered_demon

Previous

Return to Cycle Oregon