Hybrid bike on CO?

Welcome to the Cycle Oregon Forum! We hope you enjoy it and look forward to your postings.

Thank you

Moderators: Cowboy, Jackson, chris@cycleoregon

Hybrid bike on CO?

Postby knut » Thu Mar 12, 2009 5:41 pm

Hi-newbie here, and have some questions for anyone that cares to reply. I have a Trek 7.3 hybrid, and love it, but am a bit concerned about it performing well enough for CO. Since Jan 1st I've put 400 miles on it, and am up to 60 mile rides (train alone). I'm 6' and 165lb, 55 y/o male in pretty fair shape, although I'm missing 2/3 of my right lung (donated it to my daughter). I work out in a gym regularly, and am concentrating on working my major muscle groups to exhaustion. I wish they recovered sooner! I also climb 6 mountains each year.
That said....I'm a bit terrified of CO, with the amount of elevation gain and back to back days of 60 miles or so..and am hoping that I'm not going to use the wrong bike for the ride. I have arthritis in my lower back, so didn't buy a road bike....but looking at the picts of previous CO's, I didn't see anything other than road bikes....I will also be buying new tires before the ride, and am wondering if there is a big difference between a 25 or a 27 tire as far as rolling resistance?
Thanks so much for your advice! Knut
knut

Re: Hybrid bike on CO?

Postby Sandra » Thu Mar 12, 2009 7:15 pm

Yes, your bike would be fine. My first CO in 2004 I rode my Trek 7200 touring bike, straight handlebars, triple gear with size 25 tires (I use the "all condition Armadillos"). It was great; went up the 14 mile climb and down the great decent into Jacksonville with no problem. No aching back on climbs like I get with my Cannondale 1000 road bike on really long climbs. I love my Trek, but have used my Cannondale since 2005. Some times I wished I had used my Trek tho. Use the Armadillow size 25's and you will roll right along. You're in great shape! I am 60 and ride 3500 miles per year, but don't climb mountains like you. The Armadillos are great and tough. Have only had three flats in 5 years and one was a pinch. Good bike for you if you have back issues. GO FOR IT!
Sandra

Postby knut » Thu Mar 12, 2009 9:26 pm

Thank you, Sandra! That was music to my ears, and I won't worry about the bike anymore. I did put bar ends on it, so I feel like I can lean over as much as I am able to without back strain. Are you going to do the CO this year also? I have fenders on the bike-should I remove them before the ride to save weight? And thanks for the tire tip!
Best regards, Knut
knut

Postby Sandra » Fri Mar 13, 2009 12:09 pm

Knut, I did the bar ends too; work good. I just have the little black, straight, clipon your seatpost vendor on mine; you can move it from bike to bike. None on the front. It is very cheap. And yes I am going. Hope to meet you.
Sandra

Postby dougnlis » Fri Mar 13, 2009 6:10 pm

" I have fenders on the bike-should I remove them before the ride to save weight?"

I wouldn't make that decision until just before the ride. MOST times CO has ventured west of the Cascades it has rained for a day or two. Sometimes it has rained a lot. If you are bringing a vehicle to the start, you might even make that decision the evening before you start! Mechanics are available if you need help changing your mind. Watch the weather forecasts just before the ride.

True confession: CO 18, Boardman to Astoria, a squall blew threw the night before we started and I figured if it's raining this far east, it will certainly rain more as we head west! Never saw another drop until the next to last day, and that was insignificant in the lucky spot I happened to be in the pack. Never saw sky so blue as we did in Astoria at the finish (although it was foggy/misty starting out from Vernonia).
Steel is Real
dougnlis

Postby Tender Chunks » Fri Aug 07, 2009 7:54 pm

Knut,
My first CO was in 2001; I had no idea what I was getting into, and trained like crazy, and just generally obsessed about it. I rode then and am still riding a Raleigh C40 commuter bike, which I love, and for which I paid $399. As long as you have some basic aerobic heart/lung capacity, and have taken a few spins around the block so your main muscle groups for cycling are a few notches up from a couch potato, you'll be fine. The course opens at 6am, and even if you leave at 7am (when I usually do), you can just crank along, take a break every 10 miles, take a nap at lunch, enjoy the wonderful view, stop at all the kid's lemonade stands, rubberneck and take photos, and you'll be in camp in time to take a shower and eat your third square, quaff a few brewskis, and then make a fool of yourself doing karaoke! Get up next morning, and repeat! Piece of cake! See you on the ride. 8)
Tender Chunks

Postby Jackson » Fri Aug 07, 2009 9:24 pm

Correction - The course is open from 6:30 am-6:30 pm. This should give you plenty of time to complete the day on whatever type of bike you decide is best for you.
Jackson

Return to Cycle Oregon