Toe Clips or Clipless?

Welcome to the Cycle Oregon Forum! We hope you enjoy it and look forward to your postings.

Thank you

Moderators: Cowboy, Jackson, chris@cycleoregon

Toe Clips or Clipless?

Postby knut » Thu Mar 12, 2009 10:19 pm

I am using toe clips on my hybrid bike, and they seem to work well. Just using them to raise my leg enough to eliminate the weight of my foot speeds up the bike at least 2 mph, although I can't keep up the pace for too long. I'm sure that with more practice it'll get easier. Should I consider clipless pedals? I'm a newbie to road biking, so would appreciate any comments, and thanks.
Knut
knut

Re: Toe Clips or Clipless?

Postby Force 5 Robert » Fri Mar 13, 2009 9:08 am

Clipless - you will not regret it. Go eggbeaters.

:)
http://rosecityrecumbentcycles.com/
Force 5 Robert

Postby Sandra » Fri Mar 13, 2009 12:05 pm

I used toe clips on my Trek 7200, but switched to clipless and also have clipless on my Cannondale; BIG DIFFERENCE! Do clipless . I have Shimano's.
Sandra

Postby Force 5 Robert » Fri Mar 13, 2009 1:40 pm

The best thing you will gain by getting clipless (eggbeaters) is that you will be able to spin better. On a CO with days of climbing - this will save you - big time. Just make sure you get them now so you can get used to clipping/unclipping.

(eggbeaters)

:)
Force 5 Robert

Postby StarlightPurpleIF » Tue Mar 17, 2009 6:37 am

We clip in and out of clipless pedals. But we don't clip into and out of pedals with toe clips. That blows my mind, maaaaaaaaaaaaaaan!
StarlightPurpleIF

Postby DWM » Tue Mar 17, 2009 8:40 pm

knut wrote:I am using toe clips on my hybrid bike, and they seem to work well. Just using them to raise my leg enough to eliminate the weight of my foot speeds up the bike at least 2 mph, although I can't keep up the pace for too long. I'm sure that with more practice it'll get easier. Should I consider clipless pedals? I'm a newbie to road biking, so would appreciate any comments, and thanks.
Knut

Toe clipless pedals peadls are the way to go and certainly once you're used to them you will wonder how you did without!

Best to practise clipping in and out on a soft surface (eg your neighbours front lawn would be perfect!) just in case you have a "rider down"! Most pedals have a tension adjustment that allows a ride to change the amount of twisting force required to release and I'd recommend setting on the lightest to start.

The plastic cleats that are affixed to the shoe soles can wear very quickly on hard or gravel surfaces. At CO 21 I wore out a new pair of Look cleats in 2 days! So I picked up a pair of rubber "coffee cleat covers", stowed same in a jersey pocket and used them at the rest stops. They work great! You can tell when the cleats need to be replaced, clipping in and out becomes increasing more difficult as they wear.

If you want to try before you buy, I have an old pair of Look pedals in my workshop. The bearings are a bit wobbly, but they'd give you the idea how they work and feel. I could mail you the pedals and a pair of cleats to try if you mailed them back when your test was over.Let me know!

Fear not! Spring is but days away!

DWM
Langley BC
Canada eh!
dmather@shaw.ca
DWM

Postby Force 5 Robert » Tue Mar 17, 2009 10:00 pm

Eggbeaters. Easy in and easy out.
Force 5 Robert

Postby mytrot » Wed Mar 18, 2009 10:12 pm

If by clips you mean those wonderful old strap pedals then yes, move on. If for no other reason the clipless are safer as they are easier to unclip!

And they are easier to get in also. I use the Look Keo's on my road and SPD's on my mountain. The SPD's are better for walking. For a ride like CO with lots of walking in bike shoes and that you are a beginner not looking to win the Tour, a style more suited for walking may be in order.

Hope to see you clipless in September!

ELT
mytrot

Postby janelane » Wed Sep 09, 2009 6:21 pm

Fearfully clipless?
OK, clipless for sure! However, is there someone out there can can help the newbies in the crowd to make this a less fearful experience? My knees look like a candidate for a "before and after" plastic surgery ad. Sure, I have the mileage (two centuries) and confidence to finish this ride, but how can I ease the fears of being clipped in to concrete as I turn the corner and am confronted by a steep climb? Is there a way, to have the momentum of the clipless and still have the ease of clipping out in a seconds notice when a rider abruptly stops or you "forget" your "locked in"? PLEASE, help me erase the fear of my body connected to this bike, yet the ease of using them property! I really don't need the damage of tearing my knees up climbing unclipped vs. climbing clipped in and getting trashed by a bad fall. Anyone out there that can help...?
janelane

Postby grin4joy » Wed Sep 09, 2009 6:55 pm

Jane, I went clipless (SPD) last year for my 1st CO. I was nervous and set the releases very loose. They are amazingly easy to get out of. Of course I was very aware of it at 1st and stopping safely was all I could think about. Now it is second nature and I can't imagine climbing hills without them (hard enough to do it with them :oops: ) By the way, I never did tighten my settings, I like them loose and have never come out unless I wanted too. Get them, you'll be so happy you did. The 1st time you climb a hill the light will come on! :idea:
grin4joy

Postby Hardbike » Wed Sep 09, 2009 7:07 pm

Jane,
Go for the clipless, for the first time, probably SPD, they're adjustable for a really light exit and they take a little less time to get comfy with. To get out of them, just turn your heel outward and you're free of them. It takes a little getting used to because with toe clips, to get out you pulled your foot to the rear to get out, do that with clipless and you're going to fall because you probably won't a second chance to get it right especially if your in a must exit situation. After you decide if you like them then go to something like the eggbeaters, Time or Look.
Hope this helps

Jim
Hardbike

Postby slv0700 » Wed Sep 09, 2009 9:45 pm

Jane, first of all you should have had your clipless long enough before
the ride to practice with them to keep yourself and others around you
safe. It shouldn't take you more then half an hour to get used to them.
Have the bike shop set them so they are easy to clip out of, but you don't
want them "too" easy or they can "unclip" when you stand on hills. That
could cause you to crash. Practice "before" CO.
slv0700

Postby janelane » Thu Sep 10, 2009 12:14 pm

JaneLane Goes For It!
Thanks to all for your comments. By the way, I have the pedals which are clipless on one side and regular (flat) on the other. I've been riding with them for about three months. My fear is that I've been stuck (clipped in very tight) and taken some pretty scary falls. Seems to me the "secret is in the adjustment". From those that replied (thank you-thank you), I have found out that I can make a minor adustment (by loosening the clip on the pedal) and my clipping out will be much easier! I feel so much better that I can ride up those hills clipped in! I really appreciate the information. I hope this "adjustment" takes me up and over the rolling hills of Oregon! Countdown... 3...2...1!!! Yeah! Let's get this ride going! :D :D :D
janelane

Postby high plains drafter » Thu Sep 10, 2009 8:57 pm

by StarlightPurpleIF » Tue Mar 17, 2009 6:37 am

We clip in and out of clipless pedals. But we don't clip into and out of pedals with toe clips. That blows my mind, maaaaaaaaaaaaaaan!
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Dear SPIF:
Thank you for stimulating our minds. This is a very important question indeed, especially helpful to ponder when faced with long sloughs up endless hills or while struggling through merciless headwinds. I also have contemplated the confusing act of "clipping" in and out of "cleated" pedals. And here is what I have concluded about toe "clips":

There are no straps on my pedals for shoes
I have cleats, as I so choose
Straps on pedals can make you fall
While "clicking in" (not 'clipping') can be a ball
So while the phrase "clicking in" may not (yet) be correct
I'll stick with clicks so as not to be wrecked!

Randy "I CLICK in to my skis, too" from Colorado
high plains drafter

Postby Bentduck » Fri Feb 19, 2010 6:42 am

Don't worry, unless you're very unusual, you'll topple over at least once at a stop when you're thinking about something else. I know I have and more than once. It is good for the spirit! :shock:
Bentduck

Next

Return to Cycle Oregon