Who's a first-time Cycle Oregon rider?

Welcome to the Cycle Oregon Forum! We hope you enjoy it and look forward to your postings.

Thank you

Moderators: Cowboy, Jackson, chris@cycleoregon

Who's a first-time Cycle Oregon rider?

Postby PdxMark » Mon Apr 13, 2009 11:19 am

Who or what motivated you to ride this year? How long have you been thinking about riding CO? How's your training going? Are you having fun, yet?
If it ain't fixed, it's broken.
PdxMark

Re: Who's a first-time Cycle Oregon rider?

Postby capthawk » Mon Apr 20, 2009 6:57 pm

Comming up on my 20th in a row. I'm motivated to learn about and enjoy your beautiful state with each new year. I know several Oregon residents (who do not ride CO) and I know much more about their state than they do!!!
It's always sunny at 35,000 ft
capthawk

Postby PdxMark » Tue Apr 21, 2009 2:04 pm

I guess I'm the relative newbie -- I rode CO seven times and this year will be the 5th, I think, that I've volunteered. It's alot of fun either way, I have to say. You do see the state better on the bike than volunteering, particularly in camp. It is nice to have clear mental images of obscure Oregon places like Selmac, Ukiah, Izee, Diamond...
If it ain't fixed, it's broken.
PdxMark

Postby wayneh » Tue Apr 21, 2009 8:29 pm

PDXMark,
Great thread to start. I hope some first-timers take the time to respond, maybe they haven't discovered the forum yet?

I remember reading about CO in the Oregonian one year, I think it was 1996, freshly post-divorce, and thinking to myself "someday that would be a lot of fun". The next year I saw the ad for the ride and said to myself, "I can sit here on the couch and dream about doing it someday, or I can get off my butt and go do it".

So, I bought my first new bike since I was a freshman in college (hint, Reagan was governor of California); thank you Kelly at the Bike Gallery for starting me off on the right bike, some clothes, did some riding, had no idea what I was doing, flailed around trying to train, and rode CO X with my boss from work (a former Marine colonel, no less - guess who always had to break out the map, etc). That was the year they wanted to make a statement to celebrate #10, so we started in Nyssa, dipping our wheels in the Snake river, and rode across the state in seven days, finishing in Yachats. No options, no layovers, we rode every mile, through every type of weather imagineable. Camping in the cowpies in Ironside, lightining storm in Paulina, hypothermia over Mackenzie Pass, wet and freezing in the Coast Range on the last day. My picture at the finish line in Yachats makes me look like a drowned rat. But I made it, never mind I was numb in some body parts that one shouldn't be numb in for some time afterwards. Another hint - getting fit to your bike is a wise investment!

My point is, I was hooked. By far the most exhilarating experience of my adult life up to that point (besides hot-air balooning with my daughter). And I was inspired by all of the riders well into their 6th decade doing the ride that I comiserated with along the way. I've done it every year since - it's my Fall vacation and my reality check - and in '07 my son did it with me. He was 19 at the time. Our pictures taken around Crater Lake are cherished memories of that fantastic day that I'll never forget. Perfection, and a color blue that is etched into my brain.

I've seen more of Oregon, landscapes, small towns, incredible places and wonderful people, because of this ride, than I would have ever seen otherwise. I hope all of the first-timers have a truly memorable time, and look forward to meeting some of you out on the road.

Wayne
wayneh

Postby spokhand » Wed Apr 22, 2009 2:32 pm

Have been riding for several years, actually decades now, but was off of the bike quite a long time and only started to get back the last year or two. Signed up last year as a first timer, felt I needed something to give me additional motivation to ride more. After signing up, thought "Oh shit what have I done?" But, it did give me something to look forward to at the end of the summer. Kept me on the bike. Now I am hooked on doing CO again, talked my wife and her sister (wife 54, her sister 60) into doing it this year, they are firsties. We plan on a great ride. Finally bought a new road bike this year, after 26 years on steel. Thanks to Amy at Bike Gallery and her crew, the bike for me (Madone) and my wife (Trek 2.1) are fantastic! :lol:
spokhand

Postby mytrot » Wed Apr 22, 2009 9:58 pm

Not a first timer but this will be my second. I got in to riding in the early 90's in California with a weekend club and loved it. I moved around for work and got off the bike for almost 10 years except on year for STP. Starting riding again in 03 when I was on an assignment in Hawaii but not much in 04. Then had to do the first Livestrong and that restarted my riding in 05. Met up with a rider at Reach the Beach 06 and we have been riding together since. Pretty consistent since then with about 2500 miles a year. We started doing a lot of the wonderful organized rides in Oregon but have recently been touring from Gresham east to Mt Hood and Mult Falls. What a great place we live in!

Had thought about CO for many years and watched them go through Sunriver in 07. My riding partner was interested in pulled the trigger and 4 others of us followed in 08 all of us first timers. The five of us had not ridden together much but we had a great time. At 44 I was the youngest with 61 the elder. We didn't all ride together but ate, drank and enjoyed the experience together the whole time. CO was all I expected and more. By the second day I knew I'd be back. Not sure I'll make it every year like some but hope to be at it as my age increases and my speed decreases.

Training going much better this year as I had back surgery in DEC07 which slowed it a little. Biking is my therapy and reprieve from being a desk jockey. So whether a ride or on the Kurt trainer in front of the TV I relish just spinning the pedals. I ride with a local group also and more great people to ride with.

As a California transplant I can't wait to bike across the border I have driven over countless times.

Ed
mytrot

Postby StackOfHay » Fri Jun 05, 2009 9:41 am

First time rider here. I used to ride in college at Arizona State and marriage, kids, move to Oregon all changed the riding habits. I heard about Cycle Oregon as soon as I moved to Oregon in 1993 and since then it has been an interest of mine to ride it.
Kids are now older and last June I started bike commuting to work. Also bought a new road bike. The commuting has been going great and I linked up with some old-time CO riders through my neighbor. Decided to go for it.
Training going well to this point but I dare say I have a lot more "hills" work to do. Looking very forward to this experience. Mike
StackOfHay

Postby MaryB » Thu Jun 11, 2009 3:55 pm

This is my first time riding CO. I followed the antics of CO in the Oregonian for many years. Last year, I bought a bike for commuting to work. Suddenly I found myself wanting to ride a little longer, a little faster, rode STP and several other organized rides. Heard so much about CO from other riders I just had to give it a try.
Mary Bee
MaryB

Postby Allyn Rice » Thu Jun 11, 2009 8:32 pm

MaryB wrote:This is my first time riding CO. I followed the antics of CO in the Oregonian for many years. Last year, I bought a bike for commuting to work. Suddenly I found myself wanting to ride a little longer, a little faster, rode STP and several other organized rides. Heard so much about CO from other riders I just had to give it a try.
Mary Bee

That sounds just like me in 2005. I wanted to lose some weight and I liked cycling, so I started riding to work. That was a 13 mile challenge with 700 ft of climbing each way. After 6 months of that I wanted a reward and I had heard of CO from the Great Western Bike Rally in Paso Robles, CA. My wife decided that it sounded like too much fun to do alone, and now we have a team. Look for the "House of Spokes" flag and our jerseys.
The world is not flat.
Allyn Rice

Postby riding2live » Thu Jun 11, 2009 10:09 pm

2008 was my first CO. I had a heart attack and a five way bypass in 2002 then in 2005 I moved to Eugene, OR. Took up cycling for the first time since high school (1963). Bought a "comfort" bike and rode the 12 mile loop on the Willamette River a lot. Slowly ventured out to riding on the city streets. After 8 mos. I upgraded the bike to something more in a road bike. In 2007 I upgraded to an even better bike which I rode on CO last year. This year it's an even better bike (Trek Madone 5.2). Looking forward to CO '09 even tho' I'm a major hill slug. I addicted. Don't think I'll be upgrading bikes for a while. My cardiologist loves that I ride and ride a lot.

See ya out there. Watch for, "CAUTION-hill slug, pass on the left". That'll be me.
Ride like the devil's behind you, becuz he is---and he/she is drivin' a car textin' on the phone.
riding2live

Postby MaxwellCycles » Tue Sep 01, 2009 3:00 am

I am a First Time CO rider. My friends Chris and Lori have ridden CO before and have always commented on how much fun it was. I used to ride alot in the early/mid 90's and when I got out of school and began to work I just got fat. About 2 years ago I began to ride again and have been going strong since then. I build my own bikes and so far have not had a failure. I cannot wait for the ride to begin

Kevin Maxwell Ostrom
MaxwellCycles

Return to Cycle Oregon