Recovery ? from overtraining

Welcome to the Cycle Oregon Forum! We hope you enjoy it and look forward to your postings.

Thank you

Moderators: Cowboy, Jackson, chris@cycleoregon

Recovery ? from overtraining

Postby knut » Wed Apr 15, 2009 10:29 pm

I'm having a heck of a time recovering from overtraining, and would appreciate any advice. I started riding my road bike in Jan, and have put 500 miles on it so far, in anticipation of CO. Here's the rub: I have worked up to an 80 mile ride, and have climbed some knarly hills (1700' in 3.5 miles). My increases in mileage have been in the order of 20 miles at a time. I know I overdid it because my quads are on fire, and will not calm down. I have been doing massage, ice, heat, rest, lots of yoga stretches, light biking with no hills for short distances, and can still bring on a cry of pain when doing light massage. I'm familiar with Trigger Point Therapy, and can find those pesky knots easily, but they DON'T GO AWAY! I'd been working out in a gym, but cannot continue at this point. Even light weights are too heavy! My quads hate me (IT Bands too)! I'm not a stranger to exercise - I stay in pretty good shape, but this is new to me. Any ideas? I really want to do the CO, but if this is the order of the day for me, I will have to cancel my 'ticket to ride' (sobbing). Should I rent a Trainer for a consult? Thanks for your help.
knut

Re: Recovery ? from overtraining

Postby Jackson » Thu Apr 16, 2009 12:23 pm

I suggest contacting a sports physical therapist. If you would like a contact, I can recommend one.

John
Jackson

Re: Recovery ? from overtraining

Postby knut » Tue Apr 21, 2009 10:45 pm

John, thanks for the post. My legs are much better now! It took two weeks of massage, etc., but they are doing better now than they have all year-what a relief..doing the Monster Cookie Ride in Salem, OR. this Sunday!
knut

Return to Cycle Oregon