How much does beer and stuff cost??

Welcome to the Cycle Oregon Forum! We hope you enjoy it and look forward to your postings.

Thank you

Moderators: Cowboy, Jackson, chris@cycleoregon

How much does beer and stuff cost??

Postby bvdahlberg » Sat Aug 22, 2009 7:27 am

How much money should we bring? How much does beer actually cost?? $2 $3 $5 ?? How about pizza ice cream and all the other goodies that are around??
Thanks for you help,

Bary
bvdahlberg

Re: How much does beer and stuff cost??

Postby clwilli » Sat Aug 22, 2009 7:53 am

3-4 bucks for beer, wine, and pizza. Ice cream was 4-5 bucks...These are from my limited memory....close #'s....bring lots of extra dollars to tip the baggage people....money for t-shirts.....etc
clwilli

Postby Chuck B. » Sat Aug 22, 2009 11:46 am

Last year beer and wine were $4 each, and I believe pizza was the same per slice. You can buy beer with plastic; you can also buy a beer card which makes it easy to not carry your wallet to the beer garden with you in the evening. I don't remember buying ice cream, so I can't say what that was.

You'll definitely wants lots of $1 bills for tipping the sherpas; you'll need to tip both morning and evening, unless you want to cheap out and carry your own bags both to and from the trucks...

T-shirt costs vary from place to place, but you'll more than likely want at least one...

I generally plan on $100 in ones just for tipping, incidentals, etc, and at least another $100 in fives and tens for more expensive incidentals. Bike Gallery also takes plastic...
The voices tell the stories. I just record them for posterity.

And the voices have some good ideas sometimes!
Chuck B.

Postby pumatracker » Sat Aug 22, 2009 9:39 pm

My suggestion is to carry something extra ($5-10) each day and take it with you at lunch. The community lunch volunteers are a great group of people and often have some display and a donation jar for their cause. There have been animal rescue, scouts, school parent groups, and all kinds of worthy projects that need a little help.
pumatracker

Postby StarlightPurpleIF » Mon Aug 24, 2009 10:43 am

"There have been animal rescue, scouts, school parent groups, and all kinds of worthy projects that need a little help."

Right on! The abused horse at the lunch stop on the way from Diamond Lake to Doreena Lake two years ago was such a sad story, but one with a happy ending. They got $5 from me. And sometimes there are road-side drink, cookie, etc., sales.
StarlightPurpleIF

Postby Chuck B. » Mon Aug 24, 2009 2:18 pm

StarlightPurpleIF wrote: And sometimes there are road-side drink, cookie, etc., sales.

Yeah, there sure are. My first CO was in 2005 and on the way into Vernonia two very cute little girls were selling HOT chocolate chip cookies. Their mom couldn't get the cookies out of the oven fast enough. There was a waiting line. Great cookies!
The voices tell the stories. I just record them for posterity.

And the voices have some good ideas sometimes!
Chuck B.

Postby StarlightPurpleIF » Tue Aug 25, 2009 12:04 pm

That was a chilly, damp day. Not surprised they were popular. The coffee shop in town looked like a life boat from the Titanic.
StarlightPurpleIF

Postby beaker-san » Mon Aug 31, 2009 3:34 pm

One major goal of CO is to assist economic development in the less-traveled parts of Oregon. I figure since I spent 800 bucks to get in, three months' salary on a titanium-ruthenium-protactinium bike frame, and $75 each for tires to match my frame color, maybe I should try to pump at least another $50 or so into the communities I visit each day. Just one person's opinion...
-Macroeconomist beaker-san
beaker-san

Postby Jackson » Mon Aug 31, 2009 5:01 pm

Beer and wine $4 each + tip if you do that sort of thing. Cards are available during the ride so you don't need cash if you go to the beer garden. Less expensive beers are available in the local bars as well as grocery stores.

Bring tip money $2 per bag minimum (each way) for porter service from the community if you don't plan to carry your own bag.

John
Jackson

Postby DWM » Mon Aug 31, 2009 10:12 pm

beaker-san wrote:One major goal of CO is to assist economic development in the less-traveled parts of Oregon. I figure since I spent 800 bucks to get in, three months' salary on a titanium-ruthenium-protactinium bike frame, and $75 each for tires to match my frame color, maybe I should try to pump at least another $50 or so into the communities I visit each day. Just one person's opinion...
-Macroeconomist beaker-san

I agree with your thinking and I'll be spending the same! (ps Did you get the chrozinium infused crank arm option on your bike??)

See you on the road!

DWM
Langley BC
Canada(eh!)
DWM

Postby IbisRider » Tue Sep 01, 2009 9:40 pm

Good group of replies. The cost really depends on you.

Bottom line:

2 beers per day= 8
2 Sherpa tips= 8
1 ice cream/pizza=5
1 local item= 5
TOTAL PER DAY= 36

As I said, bottom line with no other frills is $36 per day. T-shirts, local espresso, pizza in town, massage, souvenirs etc. are on top of that. On the economy side, I would budget $50 per day or a total of $350 for the week. Please understand that there are numerous ways to spend your money only less so on this trip because the food/lodging is taken care of.

IbisRider
IbisRider

Return to Cycle Oregon