Hybrid bike

Welcome to the Cycle Oregon Forum! We hope you enjoy it and look forward to your postings.

Thank you

Moderators: Cowboy, Jackson, chris@cycleoregon

Hybrid bike

Postby KellyMcCauley » Tue Feb 16, 2010 7:01 pm

I am a first timer and I am thinking of purchasing a hybrid. Any thoughts or suggestions?
KellyMcCauley

Re: Hybrid bike

Postby mytrot » Tue Feb 16, 2010 10:34 pm

Kelly
A lot depends on what your goal is. If you want to ease along and enjoy the countryside then a hybrid is fine. If you have not ridden a lot go for a triple or compact double with good low gears. CO likes the hills!

If you aren't sure about cycling no need to get an expensive bike. REI's novarra, or a suitable trek, cannondale, and many other brands you can not go wrong. Go to a local bike shop (Bike Gallery is always a good option!) and let them know what you are thinking for how much riding/how fast you want to ride and what you want to spend. Hybrids are also better for around town as they are more comfortable and take the abuse a little better.

I'm one of the guys who goes substantially to ride and see how hard I can push myself. I have a cannondale road bike that cost me less than $1,000. I still get along pretty well and have about 9000 miles on it in a little over 3 years (some road, some trainer). It is holding up well with minimal effort.

I have three cannondales and havehad good luck with all. Others make just as good as bikes. Test ride them. They all feel different and after 5-8 hours on the road feel is a big deal!

ET
mytrot

Postby Force 5 Robert » Tue Feb 16, 2010 10:50 pm

I would also suggest checking out a recumbent. Long miles will come easy after some good training and you will be comfortable from start to finish!

:)
http://rosecityrecumbentcycles.com/
Force 5 Robert

Postby grin4joy » Wed Feb 17, 2010 8:32 am

Kelly,
As you saw on Facebook, most people will agree a road bike is the way to go. Having multiple hand placement options is priceless! I took the advice given here on the forums tried out bikes at stores all over Portland, all price ranges and picked the most comfortable. It was an amazing range. Thankfully, the one I liked best (a Giant, female specific design) was also a great price! What I love about it is the handlebar stem adjusts so I can sit a bit taller and upright, I also had brakes put on the handlebar tops and those are what I mainly use (most of my female friends have them now also). You are at the start of an amazing journey - have fun and keep us updated!
Joy
grin4joy

Postby SummerBreeze » Wed Feb 17, 2010 12:31 pm

Hybrids are nice for commuting and shorter trips, but speaking from experience (many years doing long, painful rides on a flat-bar (hybrid) road bike), a drop bar road bike -- that fits you -- is so much more fun for the long rides. As Joy mentioned, you have more hand positions, plus the bike is most likely lighter, and you won't have to work quite as hard to go the distance or speed. And, they come in all price ranges. Test ride both - and a recumbent too -- and see what you're comfortable with, just be sure to get good advice and get fitted to whatever you choose. I'm really biased about Bike Gallery-they're the best at making sure the bike you choose is the right size for you and adjusted just right. They don't just take your money and send you out the door with whatever you've picked out on your own. That's so important when you're racking up the miles. If the bike doesn't fit you, it's gonna hurt, and it's supposed to be fun!! You'll see mostly road bikes on Cycle Oregon, there'll be several 'bents too, but not very many hybrid bikes. I still have my hybrid for commuting in the winter and icky weather, but my long-ride bike is a Trek women-specific drop bar road bike. Let us know what you end up choosing?
SummerBreeze

Postby Force 5 Robert » Wed Feb 17, 2010 4:40 pm

For recumbents check out Coventry Cycles on Hawthorne. They have just about everything there. Plus trikes!
8)
http://rosecityrecumbentcycles.com/
Force 5 Robert

Postby ken f » Wed Feb 17, 2010 5:06 pm

While it is technically true that road bikes offer more hand positions etc. I think the real factor here is to find a bike on which you are the most comfortable and like riding best. A road bike won't do you much good if you don't enjoy riding it and limit your training because of that. I think you should get the type of bike that will most encourage you to get out on the road. It should of course be fairly light weight and appropriate for doing long distances. There are plenty of opportunities to stop and stretch during CO if you need to take a short break.

My wife is looking at the Giant Dash as an alternative to a drop bar bike. It is the most 'road bike like' of all the flat bar bikes we looked at; 25mm tires, compact double crank set and light over all weight. It's shown on their website and Bike n' Hike has them in stock.

Good luck with your bike purchase!
ken f

Postby slv0700 » Wed Feb 17, 2010 8:29 pm

I have a Trek Hybrid and took it on 2004 CO; it weighs 29 lbs and the lower gears were great. The one position for your hands won't bother you much if you relax and don't grip the handlebars real hard. I also have a Cannondale 1000 road bike, which I have used on two other CO rides. I can go a little faster (if I want) on my road bike due to the tires being 23's instead of 25's; and plus it's just built to be a faster bike, but I guarantee you that the Hybrid with it's lower gears was much easier to get up some of the hills on CO then my road bike. My Cannondale only weighs 17 lbs tho, so that's a big difference in going up hills. I do lots of hill work so will probably bring my road bike again. I went to River City; be sure to get a prof. fit whatever you buy. Try out different bikes....you will know which one to buy after you ride a few.
slv0700

Postby On Your Left » Sun Feb 21, 2010 1:02 am

To be sure, it's subjective; however, I've tried many bikes over a range of distances and this is what I ride:

Cannondale T1 for fully-loaded touring
Trek Madone for supported touring and long-distance training
Trek 2100 for sloppy weather training rides throughout the year

All the former serve me well on trips ranging from routine daily training (50 mi.) to all day tours (100+ mi.). I had a hybrid and sold it. It was great for around town and bike path cruising. For me, the range of hand postions available, plus, the geometry (more or less) of a conventional road bike fits me best.

That said, the subjective however is . . . you will see all manner of bikes along the roads of CO. Last year (2009), I had the pleasure of making contact and riding with a group of Germans; they all rode hybrids and had a fine time. Everyone seems suited to their rides. I haven't seen any unicycles yet, but it won't surprise me if someone eventually tries it.
On Your Left

Return to Cycle Oregon