2007 Cycle Oregon Route

Welcome to the Cycle Oregon Forum! We hope you enjoy it and look forward to your postings.

Thank you

Moderators: Cowboy, Jackson, chris@cycleoregon

2007 Cycle Oregon Route

Postby lookman » Tue Mar 02, 2010 9:11 pm

A friend and I are planning to ride the 2007 ride around Oregon route on our own. I have the maps which are great I might add. The 2007 route is the one starting in Sisters, heading south to Diamond Lake, Crater Lake and back around to Sisters. I'm wondering if someone who has ridden the route could comment on how challenging it is. The person I am riding with will be on the Greenspeed Trike. What level of challenge do the elevation gains present to a person on a trike?
lookman

Re: 2007 Cycle Oregon Route

Postby Force 5 Robert » Tue Mar 02, 2010 9:27 pm

Here is your best option:

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=57

In the first post a fellow posted a Google Earth file link for the 2007 route. This will get you all you need to see the route. One thing for sure - it is a challenge but it is beautiful - especially Crater Lake. On a trike I imagine it would be a challenge but doable. As an ICE QNT rider I would say that a trike tour of this route would be excellent and even on the long climbs there are no balance issues. It would be comfortable that is for sure!
8)

http://rosecityrecumbentcycles.com/
Force 5 Robert

Postby bfuller24 » Tue Mar 09, 2010 8:22 pm

The only thing I can add is the ride we did the day we approached Crater Lake had a terrible run on a very busy and bicycle unfriendly highway before we made the right turn and headed up the long climb to the camp ground at the base of the climb up to Crater Lake. I do not know the name of the highway but I would avoid that at all costs.
Brad Fuller
Stronger today than yesterday but not as strong as tomorrow.
bfuller24

Postby Force 5 Robert » Tue Mar 09, 2010 9:50 pm

Brad is right on there - that section of road was horrible.
http://rosecityrecumbentcycles.com/
Force 5 Robert

Postby gene » Wed Mar 31, 2010 8:42 pm

I am excited to see this question as I too am planning to do that ride in June of this year. How is the road surface, bike lane width and traffic?
Any comments would be very helpful. We plan to camp and wonder how the campgrounds are ...and showers?! Any favorite spots? Thanks for the feedback.
gene

Postby Marble » Thu Apr 01, 2010 1:25 pm

McKenzie Pass will not be open in June. Santiam Pass stays open all year but is longer and lots of truck traffic.

McKenzie Pass opening is depends on the snow pack and when they can get it plowed. Usually late July or August. You can check with ODOT. It just snowed 2 feet this week and we are expecting another 2 feet of snow this weekend.

It is undependable but they do open this road to bicycles only for a few days after finishing plowing and before allowing cars on it.

Clyde
Marble

Postby pumatracker » Thu Apr 01, 2010 9:52 pm

About a week ago, I rode from Sisters to see how far I could get up the McKinzie Hwy. The road was open up to the turn around but completely covered with snow after that, still about 500 ft. to the gate (9 miles from town). Yes, lots of new snow since then. It can happen for the pass to be open by June but I wouldn't want to count on it so have a back-up plan.

Pumatracker
pumatracker

Return to Cycle Oregon