Clothesline construction tips?

Welcome to the Cycle Oregon Forum! We hope you enjoy it and look forward to your postings.

Thank you

Moderators: Cowboy, Jackson, chris@cycleoregon

Clothesline construction tips?

Postby TheDude » Sat Aug 07, 2010 1:34 pm

Hi all -

My wife and I will be embarking on our first CO expedition this year and we're super-psyched!

One item where we're looking for more info is techniques for constructing a clothesline. We're interested in including a clothesline in our nightly encampment to dry the days grimy laundry. But, we'd like to find a technique for erecting out clothesline that strikes a balance between being effective without imposing on our neighbors or using up too much space\weight in our gear bag.

Any CO veterans out there who have tips for successful techniques and\or materials that have worked in the past?

Thanks in advance for the help...
TheDude

Re: Clothesline construction tips?

Postby mytrot » Thu Aug 12, 2010 9:08 pm

If not riding a tandem bring about 30-40ft of line. Often there are trees etc that work. Bring a couple extra tent stakes. If trees are not available you can run the from the stake to the front of one bike, to the front of the second bike, to the second stake, then repeat back to the first stake across the back of the bike. This way you get two lines between the bikes and it holds up the bikes!

Get some camping clothes pins to top it off!

ELT
mytrot

Postby riding2live » Mon Aug 16, 2010 9:47 pm

Another way is to stake out a compsite near a fence. good for both holding up your bike and hanging clothes. A lot of the camps in the past have been high schools and there's lots of chain link around the sports fields. These are usually festooned with bike clothes and other "unmentionables." Depending on your tent you may be able to string a line around the upper portion of your tent and hang your clothes there. Main thing tho' is not to run a line somewhere that a person going to the "blue room" in the middle of the night will stumble into it. You;ll leran quickly and find that it's pretty easy to fashion a solar clothes dryer without too much effort and you'll see lots of examples on day 1. As stated bring some light line and pins and you'll be ready for anything. If you don't have too many each day it works well to drape them on your bikes if you keep them near your tent. Last year I did tent and porter. Kept bike in the tent and hung my clothes on that.
Attachments
152-Camp Laundry re-sized.jpg
153-My Laundry re-sized.jpg
Ride like the devil's behind you, becuz he is---and he/she is drivin' a car textin' on the phone.
riding2live

Postby riding2live » Tue May 31, 2011 4:33 pm

I found this handy dandy device at a garage sale (this make/model is no longer in production). You can google " sunline tripod portable clothes dryer " and find something similar altho' bigger than mine. Mine folds up to 22"x2"x2" and around 2 1/2 lbs. Opened up it stands 33" tall with six arms each 18" in length.
DSCN1076.JPG
DSCN1076.JPG (25.72 KiB) Viewed 2839 times
Ride like the devil's behind you, becuz he is---and he/she is drivin' a car textin' on the phone.
riding2live

Postby Marble » Wed Jun 01, 2011 8:34 pm

Do not forget to bring more clothes pins.

REI has a retractable clothesline with plastic clothespins that is very compact and cute. I lost it between CO and went back to a 30 ft length of braided nylon cord and plastic clothespins. The clothes stay in place on the braided line better than a smoother nylon cord.

If you set up a clothesline you will probably end up with poachers who may not take down their clothes when you are ready to break camp.

Clyde
Marble

Postby Chuck B. » Tue Jun 07, 2011 7:10 pm

I usually just drape them over my bike. Putting up a clothesline seems too much like work when the beer garden is calling... :P
Last edited by Chuck B. on Mon Jun 13, 2011 3:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The voices tell the stories. I just record them for posterity.

And the voices have some good ideas sometimes!
Chuck B.

Postby Jackson » Tue Jun 07, 2011 8:20 pm

Some tents allow enough room to string up lines inside the tent. Although that doesn't always work with condensation. This method is handy when space is limited and you also avoid tripping unsuspecting passers by.
Jackson

Postby johnncarol » Tue Jun 07, 2011 8:50 pm

Washing and drying clothes can be a pain in the butt, or not washing could also be a pain in the butt :lol:. Heaven forbid that it rains on your wash day. We try to minimize the problem by bringing enough clothes to get us to the lay over day. We can wash in the morning before we ride and then our clothes have all day to dry with no worries about people tripping over clothes lines in the dark. If it rains on lay over day you can hang them inside the tent. If you have not ridden before, CO provides a bunch of wash buckets and water near the shower trucks.
johnncarol

Return to Cycle Oregon