Tent & Porter Waiting List

Moderators: Cowboy, Jackson, chris@cycleoregon

Tent & Porter Waiting List

Postby Bill Slavin » Sun Feb 07, 2010 9:16 pm

Can anyone explain the process for the tent & porter waiting list? I'm so disappointed that this sold out before I could get in. I registered for the waiting list and am hoping that there is a chance. Is there a way to monitor your spot on the list? Do they allow you to make your own arrangements or do they enforce the list? How many cancellations should be expected? Any insight would be appreciated. I am spoiled and can't imagine doing it myself! :?
Bill Slavin

Re: Tent & Porter Waiting List

Postby Force 5 Robert » Sun Feb 07, 2010 10:20 pm

Bill,

Note sure myself, but given that there are far fewer tent/porter services than total riders, it might be hard to come by a cancellation.

I did the T&P service for my first CO in 2006, but after that we did our own tent and I liked it a lot better.

Mainly, I liked being able to get to camp and pick out a nice spot - it made the experience a bit more exciting. For my cousin and I - first in to camp had to get the tent out of the bag and pick a spot and set-up. A nice incentive to ride a bit slower and smell the roses. HA!

Anyway, the T&P service is set and you won't have a choice as to where you will be. The tents are literally side to side - so its tight quarters.

Doing tent takedown in the AM is not the most exciting thing, but with 2 layover days it will be minimized...

The best thing about the T&P service was having your bags delivered. However, in each camp there will be eager helpers waiting to haul your bag for you for a nice tip, so thats not too much a problem.
:D
http://rosecityrecumbentcycles.com/
Force 5 Robert

Postby johnncarol » Sun Feb 07, 2010 10:32 pm

For some reason my previous reply did not post. In 2008 we were 50th on the waitng list and we got a tent. I am told that is was not unusual for that many cancellations. As riders of a certain age, getting to camp, dragging luggage and setting up a tent is not something we want to do. We do not mind the close quarters of T&P city. Getting off the bike and going straight to the showers is a real pleasure.

johnncarol
johnncarol

Postby Force 5 Robert » Sun Feb 07, 2010 11:45 pm

amen on being able to just bail into a tent and hit the showers. That is particularly nice when the weather is not in your favor!

:)
http://rosecityrecumbentcycles.com/
Force 5 Robert

Postby KeithSilva » Mon Feb 08, 2010 11:55 am

I was on the T&P waiting list in 2008 and got it when there was a cancellation. That year, Cycle Oregon managed the wait list and you couldn't buy someone else's T&P reservation. There will be cancellations and if you are high on the waiting list I think you have a pretty good chance.

Regards, Keith Silva
KeithSilva

Return to 2010 Week Ride - September 11-18