Rodeo. Fun for everyone?

Moderators: Cowboy, Jackson, chris@cycleoregon

Re: Rodeo. Fun for everyone?

Postby mytrot » Mon Feb 08, 2010 9:11 pm

Deb,
ALthough in kind I support your right to make your point, even on the CO forum be careful. Where do we draw the line? Do we push zero population growth or even human population reduction? Our mere existence as we currently enjoy is certainly a monstrous affront to the environment and the animal kingdom in general.

Let the topic be reviewed by others and take the anti rodeo planning move to private messaging.
mytrot

True or False? ( about Rodeo...)

Postby DebMorey » Tue Feb 09, 2010 12:06 am

True or False?

It is legal to use a shocker ( hot shot, electrical shocking device) on horses (broncs) in the rodeo.

TRUE!!!

As long as it is on the shoulder or hip...
Not on the face like this cowboy at the Pendleton Rodeo in a previous year.
Attachments
shocking horse in the face.jpg
DebMorey

Postby DebMorey » Tue Feb 09, 2010 12:19 am

Badger and CW,

Thank-you for your comments.

Yo-mama,
What don't I get?

I love bicycling. I love Oregon. I love Cycle Oregon. I hate animal abuse. Rodeo is animal abuse wrapped up as family fun and entertainment. Cycle Oregon chose to link their fabulous organization and ride with a Rodeo this year. I believe that the organizers, like many, many others had no idea about the sordid side of rodeo, the side that rodeo organizers, sponsors go to great lengths to hide. If people who are opposed to using electric shock devices, flank straps, spurs and jarring (sometimes neck-breaking) rope stops on animals never speak up, good organizations like CO will continue to align their events unknowingly with this cruelty. I feel a moral obligation to speak up. I am thankful to CO for upholding that other American tradition of free speech by allowing me this forum. No one who doesn't want to read what I post has to even look. If I educate one person, change one mind, influence one person to never attend another rodeo... I will be happy.

Debbie
DebMorey

Postby DebMorey » Tue Feb 09, 2010 12:27 am

Mytrot,

Thank-you for your thoughts. I only feel the topic is appropriate because CO has linked the ride (theme, logo, slogan) to rodeo. If perchance a future ride was linked to the democratic (or republican) national convention, or a pro-life ( or pro-choice) rally, or vegetarianism, or any number of other issues.... I wouldn't talk about rodeo.

I will always post the word rodeo in my topic headings so that anyone who doesn't wish to read can completely ignore it.

Debbie
DebMorey

Postby Marble » Tue Feb 09, 2010 9:30 am

Deb, Re CO and rodeo.

Years ago I heard Nicholas say he started CO so Oregonians could enjoy cycling in the the beautiful areas away from the cities. So urban people could meet their rural fellow counterparts. CO could be a time that people who hardly ever meet could enjoy getting to know each other. To do this we do not just ride thru their countryside in our own little bubble. We have invited ourselves into their towns, their homes, their small town lives.

Being an Eugenian, I certainly know why you believe rodeo is wrong. But having grown up in one of those cute little towns that CO visits, Yreka and Happy Camp, I also understand why rodeo is not just something these people do on a weekend for entertainment. It is a central part of who they are.

They truly love and respect their animals. They are out in storms all night long if needed to pull a calf when it is calving time. They live with and depend on their animals and they honor that when they call themselves "Cowboys".

If you think setting up a booth about your belief will be either respectful or helpful you are wrong. You will be a quest in their home attacking their core personal view of themselves. You will be a rude quest and they will not be able to hear a word that you have to say. they will call you a "flatlander" and you will call them "ignorant".

If you want to share your opinion with other CO riders or other City folk, go right ahead but please do not do it at a booth in Pendleton.

Sincerely Clyde Byfield MD,
Marble

Postby Bentduck » Tue Feb 09, 2010 10:07 am

Dear Deb:
Please get a life, let the locals keep theirs, and please be a decent guest in their "home". Whatever rude behavior in which you might engage would reflect upon all of us, and I for one want none of it. I chose to read and reply to this thread because you need to know that you do not speak for all of us by any means. :!:
Bentduck

Postby lynne » Tue Feb 09, 2010 11:06 am

Right on bentduck!

I choose not to attend because I am not into rodea and don't like what happens to the animals either. However I do not want to continue to visit the subject every time I read the forum. If Deb can tell me how to stop the abuse without becoming an activist and consuming the forum, let's hear it. Otherwise take it somewhere else! Please stop! There are enough downers in life.
lynne

Postby badger » Tue Feb 09, 2010 11:54 am

My sentiments exactly lynn, thanks! lets just look forward to having a great ride!!
badger

Postby StarlightPurpleIF » Tue Feb 09, 2010 2:00 pm

"Leave your politics at home and let the paying customers on CO enjoy their cycling vacation. This includes the riders that may have some 'agenda' as well as the organizers. The riders that spend their hard earned dollars don't want to hear your political and social views."

1. Perhaps it's best not to purport to speak for everyone when it comes to the wants or desires of a large, presumably diverse group of people.

2. It is the organizers' ride so it is completely within their right to express their opnions, just as it is within anyone's right to not participate. I don't believe participation in the event entitles anyone to a sanitized and climate-controlled to their liking environment. That is what private islands are for.

3. I am surprised that such minor things would prevent someone from enjoying his or her vacation. But maybe I am different in that I just don't let trivial occurrences rattle me too much.
StarlightPurpleIF

Postby DebMorey » Tue Feb 09, 2010 3:20 pm

Marble wrote:Deb, Re CO and rodeo.

Years ago I heard Nicholas say he started CO so Oregonians could enjoy cycling in the the beautiful areas away from the cities. So urban people could meet their rural fellow counterparts. CO could be a time that people who hardly ever meet could enjoy getting to know each other. To do this we do not just ride thru their countryside in our own little bubble. We have invited ourselves into their towns, their homes, their small town lives.

Being an Eugenian, I certainly know why you believe rodeo is wrong. But having grown up in one of those cute little towns that CO visits, Yreka and Happy Camp, I also understand why rodeo is not just something these people do on a weekend for entertainment. It is a central part of who they are.

They truly love and respect their animals. They are out in storms all night long if needed to pull a calf when it is calving time. They live with and depend on their animals and they honor that when they call themselves "Cowboys".

If you think setting up a booth about your belief will be either respectful or helpful you are wrong. You will be a quest in their home attacking their core personal view of themselves. You will be a rude quest and they will not be able to hear a word that you have to say. they will call you a "flatlander" and you will call them "ignorant".

If you want to share your opinion with other CO riders or other City folk, go right ahead but please do not do it at a booth in Pendleton.

Sincerely Clyde Byfield MD,

Dr. Byfield and others,

There is a big difference between working cattle on a ranch and the representation of cowboy skills demonstrated in rodeo. I completely respect the values REAL cowboys represent. I have raised animals all my life. I have lived in rural environments ( I do currently) as well as urban environments. I have been there in the mud and freezing rain pulling calves. ( I am a veterinarian) The real cowboys I have worked with shoulder to shoulder have no time or interest in rodeo. It is a ridiculous waste of their time.

I will not organize a protest in Pendleton. It makes me too sad to see parents taking their children to see animals abused for fun. I have been informed that other organizations are already planning a protest and I will leave that for those that can stomach it. I wish I was brave enough and strong enough to do that; I can't. But I will donate money to their organizations; I will ride my bike in anti-cruelty jerseys. And I will continue to spread awareness that rodeo hurts animals to anyone willing to listen. Thanks for listening.

It is an American tradition to stand up for what we believe is right. I honestly believe that fate has pointed a finger at me regarding this event. Last year was my first cycle Oregon. In fact, it was my first multi-day ride. I have been counting the days until the announcement of this years ride since I stepped off my bike in Medford last September. Imagine my dismay to find out last Thursday at 7:30 ish that this year's ride has a rodeo theme and is "highlighted by a rodeo" I figured I had several choices. I could choose not to attend. I know many wish I had picked that choice. But I felt that then I would be turning my back on the issue. I would have felt like a coward. I know many people have no idea that rodeo is not just good clean family fun. ( many people have contacted me off list to thank me and ask how they can help) I chose to ride Cycle Oregon and educate anyone who will listen. I don't want to ruin anyone's vacation. I won't be giving speeches, having a booth or handing out flyers. I won't talk to you about rodeo if you don't bring it up first.
If you are comfortable ignoring the rodeo aspect of this ride... that is your perogative. If you don't want to read about rodeo, don't click the button for this thread. If you want to tell me why you think rodeos are not cruel, or why cruelty is justified in this venue... I will listen and argue intelligently and respectfully. I will not tell you to "get a life". I will not call you names. That is not my style.

Debbie
DebMorey

Postby DebMorey » Tue Feb 09, 2010 5:21 pm

From Cary Williams on Facebook:

Deb...funny you just paid 850.00 to ride with an organization that is 'promoting', as you say abuse of animals. Thanks for the continued support...As you can see you look really silly. BTW, I am going hunting next weekend, for $100.00 you can go with me and 'hike' thru the woods and see some lovely scenery then I'll shoot something....makes as much sense.

Deb replies:

As I've mentioned in previous posts... I thought long and hard about this issue. ( Well, not too long... I signed up within the first hour!)

If CO was only about rodeo, I would have nothing to do with them. Fortunately, as we all know, CO is about alot more than rodeo. It is about bicycling, healthy lifestyles, camaraderie, community outreach, sustainability (yay zero hero!) All of these are also very important to me. I don't think rodeo fits with CO's stated ideals and I think that CO organizers made a well-intentioned, uninformed mistake in linking the ride with a rodeo. If I stayed home, perhaps someone else would pick up my slack and help inform and educate on this issue. I feel I have already made a difference. I got you thinking-- along with 400+ other folks who have viewed this thread. And, you have given me a great idea. Instead of hunting with you this weekend (thanks for the offer) I will donate an amount equal to what I spent on CO registration fees and tent + porter to an anti-rodeo group. (SHowing Animals Respect and Kindness = SHARK) If anyone else would like to donate to this cause, contact me, or find them online via Google.

Debbie
DebMorey

Postby Marble » Tue Feb 09, 2010 5:54 pm

Deb. I appreciate our courteous responses to each others opinions. I am sorry for the name calling.

Clyde
Marble

Postby Bentduck » Wed Feb 10, 2010 6:32 am

Dear Deb:
So then, wearing an "anti-cruelty jersey" or indeed beginning this thread is not in fact starting the conversation already? Pardon the pun, but I think the cow may already be out of the barn... :wink:
Bentduck

Postby woodway » Wed Feb 10, 2010 8:42 am

2. It is the organizers' ride so it is completely within their right to express their opnions, just as it is within anyone's right to not participate. I don't believe participation in the event entitles anyone to a sanitized and climate-controlled to their liking environment. That is what private islands are for.

Actually, no.

The organizers defined a mission for the ride:

Cycle Oregon is a non-profit organization dedicated to transforming individuals and communities through bicycling.

Proceeds from the ride go to the Cycle Oregon Fund, which helps preserve and protect the special places of Oregon and supports community development projects in the regions through which we ride.

The organizers took our money in support of this mission. Therefore, if the organizers want to get up on stage and talk about how the ride is helping communities and the people who live in them, then I am in enthusiastic support. Straying beyond talking about the ride and it's mission, as in the little speech in Grants Pass last year, is way out of bounds, it's not what was sold, and it's not what I paid my money for.
woodway

Beating a Dead Horse

Postby eljugador » Wed Feb 10, 2010 8:54 am

Deb,

You have a valid opinion about rodeo. You've also succeeded in making your point and creating awareness. Hopefully you understand that part of "politely educating" is knowing that, once you've made your point, it's time to pipe down and move on. Otherwise, you're just beating a dead horse (which is something most people find cruel and offensive).

Like it or not, the rodeo is going to happen. Cycle Oregon has gotten behind it. Cyclists are going to go. Most are going to love it. My recommendation is to now put this issue behind you and focus on other aspects of the ride that you find positive. I'm sure there are many.

Allowing this one thing to ruin the entire Cycle Oregon experience for you would be a shame. Allowing you to dampen the experience for others by turning the ride (or the Facebook page or these forums, etc.) into a protest or platform for your own personal agenda is more than a shame -- it is unacceptable. Furthermore, it is most likely counterproductive to your cause.

If the rodeo isn't for you, don't go. And if you don't think you'll be able to get past this aspect of the event do yourself (and the rest of us) a favor and just stay home.
eljugador

PreviousNext

Return to 2010 Week Ride - September 11-18