Rodeo. Fun for everyone?

Moderators: Cowboy, Jackson, chris@cycleoregon

Re: Rodeo. Fun for everyone?

Postby On Your Left » Wed Feb 10, 2010 10:05 am

I remember last year's Bike Rodeo in Glendale, and the brutality -- Brent from BG fell hard to a competitor's knobby-tire lariat. It was too much; I repaired to the nearby beer garden, and the cheer of my fellows. Unbelieveable -- the mechanics were surrounded by the raucous crowd; it was like a scene from a Roman colliseum. I was sure we'd devolved to our primal instincts.

We need those mechanics, therefore, I agree we should join to ensure their collective safety.
On Your Left

Postby DebMorey » Wed Feb 10, 2010 10:30 am

To Eljugador,

Thank-you for your support! Regarding beating a dead horse: much less cruel that the beating the live ones take at the rodeo. ( watch for it.. you'll see it.)

And regarding what you really meant by beating a dead horse- you may or may not have noticed, but other than my first post on this thread and a single post on the other thread I created.... 100% of MY posts have been in response to other people's comments or questions. This thread is getting more than 100 views a day. Far from ruining CO for me... it has made it better. It has given it more meaning for me. Yes, the rodeo will happen. And many of the bicyclists watching it will think about it a little bit differently as they see the spurs digging into the sides of the broncs and as they watch the calves and the steers slamming into the ground and (heaven forbid) if they have to watch a critter get dragged off the field by a tractor.

Debbie
DebMorey

Postby DebMorey » Wed Feb 10, 2010 10:33 am

On your left,

I'm all for the bike rodeo! What great fun that was, even in the rain!

Oh, and all the participants were there voluntarily. :D

Debbie
DebMorey

Postby DebMorey » Wed Feb 10, 2010 12:19 pm

Bentduck,

Thanks for your comments. It takes two to have a conversation by definition.

Debbie :)
DebMorey

Postby Force 5 Robert » Wed Feb 10, 2010 2:26 pm

The Bike Rodeo = Epic Win.

:)
http://rosecityrecumbentcycles.com/
Force 5 Robert

Postby admin » Wed Feb 10, 2010 4:55 pm

This is obviously a topic about which many people are passionate. Thanks to all who have provided thoughtful feedback and insight. However, the overarching purpose of this forum is to discuss cycling and the ride itself. One of the things that has made it so successful over the years is that the community (and moderators) have been vigilant about maintaining that focus. For that reason, we have closed this thread and ask those who wish to debate the subject further do so elsewhere. Any new threads on this topic will be removed.

The CO forum is a privately owned discussion service limited to topics concerning Cycle Oregon, and cycling related subjects.

Thanks for understanding.
admin
Site Admin

Previous

Return to 2010 Week Ride - September 11-18