Grade?

Moderators: Cowboy, Jackson, chris@cycleoregon

Grade?

Postby MarkG » Thu Feb 11, 2010 7:25 pm

Obviously the elevation profiles aren't the best yet, but anybody have any idea what the grades are on Rattlesnake Pass and then on Tollgate Pass on Day 7. From just eyeballing the route maps it looks like the average grades are about 5.2% (5200 ft in 8 miles)and 3.8% (3000 ft in 15 miles), respectively. I'm sure they are much steeper than that and I don't think we'll get off that easily. That's the problem with averages.
MarkG

Re: Grade?

Postby Force 5 Robert » Thu Feb 11, 2010 8:39 pm

I hope the maps that show the grades come out soon this year... it owuld be nice to know. If they are mild in % like that it will be nice. Long, but nice. I like the milder looooong climbs myself - just relax in the reclined position, lay head in neck rest, set cold beverage in lap, and spin in a comfy comfy gear... ahhhhhhhh.....

:)
http://rosecityrecumbentcycles.com/
Force 5 Robert

Postby dougnlis » Thu Feb 11, 2010 9:05 pm

As much fun as the grade getting back out of the Grande Ronde will be, the trip down into it will make at least one grown man weep. My 1995 "Biking the Great Northwest" by Jean Henderson describes "ninety-seven guardrailed curves" in what looks like a very few miles. I hope there's a gear drop at the bottom so I can leave my parachute and not have to carry it the rest of the way to Clarkston!

And keep in mind, that old book was written with loaded bike touring in mind for this route.
Steel is Real
dougnlis

Postby Force 5 Robert » Thu Feb 11, 2010 10:31 pm

Yikes! Lots 'o curves! I like.

My conundrum is going to be riding my highracer recumbent or my tadpole trike this year. I really want to do a Cycle Oregon on a trike, especially having done my last two in 07 and 08 on my highracer. Downhill corners on the trike will be more physical work for sure - will have to work hard on the oblique muscles for those hard leaning corners... on the highracer it's just relax and carve 'em like piloting a missile. :D
http://rosecityrecumbentcycles.com/
Force 5 Robert

Return to 2010 Week Ride - September 11-18