Sags

Moderators: Cowboy, Jackson, chris@cycleoregon

Re: Sags

Postby Force 5 Robert » Sun May 23, 2010 9:33 am

In 07 I had to sag one section of a steep climb when my ankle started hurting on the last day. It about brought me to tears to climb in the van but the pain was too much. Turns out I had done some damage to my achilles tendon. Ow. Ankle was swollen for weeks afterwards.

The next year in 08 when my cousin had a hurt knee and braved CO on a handcycle, the sag folks waited at the top as I helped give a little "push assist" for the cousin to the top of one particular climb. I am pretty sure we were the last riders at that particular time. When we got to the top they offered us cold beverages since we were still a ways from the final rest stop. They saved us that hot day - just by waiting to make sure we would make it.
http://rosecityrecumbentcycles.com/
Force 5 Robert

Postby Hardbike » Mon May 24, 2010 7:18 pm

In 2006, when Suzi showed up for CO wearing a leg cast, I thought, now there's SAG material if ever there was any. Not so, to the best of my knowledge, she never SAGGED once. I believe that is the toughest woman I've ever met, she never complained once, I believe that kind of determination is what CO would like for us all to put forth.

Suzi is signed up for this year and if she inspires all riders to hang in there like she did, the Sag drivers will have to be content with passing out water and blowing bubbles. :D

Can't wait!
Hardbike

Postby slv0700 » Mon May 24, 2010 7:29 pm

Yes, she sagged.
slv0700

Postby Jackson » Tue May 25, 2010 8:33 am

I picked her up that year on Day 6 but only to transport her from the original course back to the altered course for that day. Weather completely changed that days route.
Jackson

Postby suziqt » Tue May 25, 2010 7:59 pm

I'm bbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbackkkkkkkkk! Oh, Marble....that was four years ago.......I'm sagging as I speak! :mrgreen:
Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
Suziqt
suziqt

Postby suziqt » Wed May 26, 2010 7:23 pm

Jackson,
Were you my knight in shining van who picked me up the day we had freezing rain? It was so cold that day and we had a climb. Seems the blue rooms were few and far between. Guys were going potty along the road but would apologize to us ladies as we rode by. We totally understood and were jealous. As I rode on, all I could think about was "Hmmmmm, I wonder how much "liquid" my padded shorts could hold." :shock:

Anywho, getting a break in that van to thaw out was Heaven!
SuziQt

I picked her up that year on Day 6 but only to transport her from the original course back to the altered course for that day. Weather completely changed that days route.
suziqt

Postby Jackson » Thu May 27, 2010 7:18 am

SuziQt,

You were picked up in Cove, OR which should have been our first rest stop on the original course. A friend of yours had mentioned in camp (Union) that you were staying away from camp so we found your lodging, and took you and a friend back to camp along with your gear so you wouldn't get lost looking for the new altered course. The only reason I remember this is because you were riding with a cast on one foot that year.

John
Jackson

Postby suziqt » Thu May 27, 2010 8:07 am

John!!! OMG, I remember you. I think you knew my boss Herb Yamanaka from the UO. You were great, thank you so much for making that trip fantastic!
SuziQt
suziqt

Postby Jackson » Wed Sep 22, 2010 9:03 pm

People sag for a variety of reasons. The only question we ask is "is is mechanical or medical". If your bike is working, it is medical. If everyone rode every mile, there wouldn't be a need for the sag vans. We try through encouragement and music to keep you on your bike. If one person loads into the van, it seems to attract more (like flies to a light).

Use us, that's what we are here for. Know in advance, you may be with us longer than expected as we respond to problems all over the course and not necessarily in the direction you wish to go.

The best advice is to train. We are intended to be used for emergencies. If we need to move you up a hill, we will but there is only room for 72 fully loaded in all vans. That requires some patients. If buses are needed, you will be in it for the long haul.
Jackson

Postby jim_carson » Thu Sep 23, 2010 7:20 pm

In 07 I had to sag one section of a steep climb when my ankle started hurting on the last day. It about brought me to tears to climb in the van but the pain was too much. Turns out I had done some damage to my achilles tendon.

Had a similar experience this year. I felt really bad about depriving someone who needed a seat more, but I'd been riding all day with a calf cramp that had just gotten worse. It wasn't until I got back to camp that I saw a very swollen knot near my Achilles tendon. (...and am wearing "the boot" for a few weeks)

I was really glad to have a SAG as an option. (and hope that I don't use it again :D)
jim_carson

Postby johnj » Sat Oct 02, 2010 8:55 pm

I think the sag wagon folks are terrific. I did sag twice this year. Once out of Starbuck cause it was getting too late in the day and I sagged around the 19 mile climb on day 7. During the time I was in the wagons I got to appreciate all the work they do and the driving skill required. Also liked when I was biking and a van would cruise by with music.
Anyhow once again hats off to those folks running the sag wagons..
johnj

Previous

Return to 2010 Week Ride - September 11-18