Why do you Cycle Oregon?

Moderators: Cowboy, Jackson, chris@cycleoregon

Why do you Cycle Oregon?

Postby straightspoke » Sun May 23, 2010 6:00 pm

While riding through a cool bright morning in the Sierra Foothills yesterday, I came up with a bunch of great reasons why I do things like Cycle Oregon. But I’m wondering why other people choose to do CO.
So what is it about CO that leads YOU back year after year?
straightspoke

Re: Why do you Cycle Oregon?

Postby johnncarol » Sun May 23, 2010 9:04 pm

This will be our 4th CO, 2004, 2006, 2008 and now 2010. We have also done 2 cycle Montana, 1 cycle Utah and a ride in Wisconsin, all on a tandem bike. We started doing the 7 day rides 10 years ago, when we were in our early 60's. We love the outdoors and the challenge of achieving a difficult physical goal (we back pack as well). We also have a great time with people who enjoy the same kinds of experiences that we do. They tend to be unpretentious, solid, enjoyable types of people who appreciate Mother Nature. We also enjoy seeing parts of the country that we would never otherwise see.
johnncarol

Postby Force 5 Robert » Sun May 23, 2010 10:19 pm

The feeling of being out in these places I would never see otherwise in my life brings me back. The physical challenge is a part of it as well. It is just such a unique experience it is hard to put into words.
http://rosecityrecumbentcycles.com/
Force 5 Robert

Postby Hardbike » Tue May 25, 2010 8:04 pm

Cycle Oregon is my motivational tool. Without CO, I would be over weight and sadly out of shape. I now ride a recumbent after riding tandem for 16 years. Getting in shape for CO makes it a lot easier to kick back and enjoy the scenery.

I have made many friends on CO and look forward to seeing them again each year.
Hardbike

Postby SummerBreeze » Wed May 26, 2010 3:13 pm

1) because I can; 2) because I get to places I'd never go by myself and get to see/smell/hear/feel Oregon in a way you never can flying down the highway in a car; 3) because CO supports so many good things, and 4) does such a great job supporting the riders, and 5) it's too darn far to run! :wink:
SummerBreeze

Postby straightspoke » Sat May 29, 2010 11:04 am

Of all the various attractions of CO, I think two stand out for me. One is having the time away from the rest of the world, responsibility, and worry. Instead we can live for a week in a world where life is so simple you have all your possessions in a duffle and there isn’t much to worry about beyond deciding when to go to bed.
The other biggie is the effect of having a significant long-range goal hanging out there. In order to enjoy the week of CO, one has to live a certain way and achieve a level of healthiness through the rest of the year. The benefits that arise out of this lifestyle are certainly apparent to all CO participants.
And CO is a whole lot of fun if you like riding a bicycle!
straightspoke

Postby riding2live » Sat May 29, 2010 6:18 pm

I like CO because I'm a masochist. Early wake-ups, riding in 40 deg weather, a sore bu-- from eight hours in the saddle, hands falling numb on the handlebars, stiff shoulders and sore legs. I also love the long food lines and the odors of the "blue rooms". What could be better?

Maybe, good eats, enjoying the great outdoors on one of the simplest "green" modes of transportation, communing beneath the stars, good food, great entertainment, comraderie only dedicated cyclists can enjoy, hot showers at the end of the day, power smoothies, and living a week of a simple life (no TV, no radio, no phone except to check in at home). A great team that helps get us from Point A to Point B (staff, SAGS, medics, logisitics, EOLA Winery, Pizza guys, bike repair teams, massage team, and many more). WOW, I can't wait to get started.
Ride like the devil's behind you, becuz he is---and he/she is drivin' a car textin' on the phone.
riding2live

Postby Jimcycles » Wed Jun 30, 2010 5:10 pm

Because it is without close second THE VERY BEST state ride in the WORLD. I have done many state and international rides in my 25 years of cycling. The ride organization is impeccable. They think of every detail & situation. The riders and staff are awesome. The sense of cooperation and community are embedded. CO is the STANDARD others should emulate. I just finished my umpteenth state ride in my home stat - while enjoyable - they don't come close to CO. Kudos to CO!
Jimcycles

Postby bfuller24 » Thu Jul 01, 2010 7:16 pm

I dreamed of doing Cycle Oregon for ten years while I cycled northern California ... Butte County, Humboldt County, and Shasta County. I moved to southern California and after a year down here it became something I HAD to do. What I discovered on that first year (CO XIX in 2006) was the magic that is Cycle Oregon. That magic was described for me three years ago (CO XX in 2007), when I encountered a couple on the last morning of the ride as I was loading my bag onto the truck and headed back across the field to my bike and they too were crossing the field in the opposite direction. Never met these folks before. We started a brief conversation about what a great week we all had enjoyed and the nice woman of the couple summed it up for me. "I was at Woodstock," she said, "and when that amazing festival was finished I knew the world would change and that everyone would get along and that music would make the world beautiful... nothing have I experienced in my life since then until this week of riding Cycling Oregon makes me feel the same sense of optimism about the world."

For me, it is partly about the magical combination of scenery, and the rhythm of riding day after day. But more importantly, it is the incredible spirit that pervades the ride which starts with the volunteers and staff, is pushed along by the welcome of the locals in the little towns, and finally, is topped off by that wonderful disease we all seem to catch each year called "manners and kindness". The people on this ride make it special...every time you sit down for a meal, every time you stand in line for the shower, every time you wait for a fresh muffin or piece of fruit at a rest stop, every time you ask someone where the Rider Services trailer is located, every time the bike mechanics have just the right tool, and every time you hear the "Ahhhhhh" while we all watch a shooting star pass through the sky over the lake behind the stage during announcements.

If you are a first timer, you are in for a rare surprise. If you have been before, you are coming back for the same dose of magical sanity that I seek every year. Every year I leave Cycle Oregon and wish we could treat each other at home the way we treat each other on Cycle Oregon. I am happy to report that I never fully recover from that disease I mentioned but I sure wish the "Cycle Oregon effect" would remain more intense during the other 51 weeks of the year.

Brad "looking forward to catching the bug again" Fuller
Stronger today than yesterday but not as strong as tomorrow.
bfuller24

Return to 2010 Week Ride - September 11-18