What is your chariot of choice for Cycle Oregon?

Moderators: Cowboy, Jackson, chris@cycleoregon

What is your chariot of choice for Cycle Oregon?

Postby Force 5 Robert » Mon May 24, 2010 4:35 pm

This is always a fun thread - what is your choice of ride for this years Cycle Oregon? Post a picture or a description!

If you have more than one bike, sometimes it can be a hard choice - someone has to be left behind and will miss the festivities! :D

Since I have done three week long Cycle Oregon rides on two wheel recumbents, I decided this year its time for a week on three wheels. Ahhhhhh..... a week in 100% comfort.

http://rosecityrecumbentcycles.com/
Force 5 Robert

Re: What is your chariot of choice for Cycle Oregon?

Postby bradc » Tue May 25, 2010 12:22 pm

My chariot of choice is a 2003 Jamis Ventura that I bought in February 2008 off Craigslist for $425 (stop drooling!). I trained and rode it in Cycle Oregon 2008. Since then, I've put about 5500 miles on it, and wore the Ritchey DS-OCR rims down so badly with the brake pads that a bump coming down Naito Parkway on my way to work was enough to really do them in, (finally!). I just replaced that wheelset with Alex DA28 rims with Shimano Tiagra hubs, which I had built at Universal Cycles for $215. I'm the king of cheap, but I love to ride. Someday, when my kids are grown, I'll get that Cervelo I've always wanted (or maybe a Colnago or a Kestrel).

If I was to take my younger son next year, our chariot of choice would be our '99 Cannondale RT3000 tandem, which I'll be taking him on the Tour de Blast again this year and the Pioneer Century. He needs to outgrow that Kiddie Crank before I take him on a week-long ride though.
bradc

Postby jdmitch » Tue May 25, 2010 6:20 pm

1993~ Basso EVO steel. Got it three years ago. It had never been built up! Looking forward to spending a little quality time with an old friend!
jdmitch

Postby johnncarol » Tue May 25, 2010 6:46 pm

Our reliable old (approx 11 years) Trek 2000 tandem. This will be it's 4th CO, 2004, 2006 and 2008 plus cycle Montana in 2001 and 2002, Cycle Utah in 2005 and the GRABAWR in 2007. Never a problem and never a complaint. Nothing has been changed from original except seats. We have never been left on the road except once for a broken chain and that was my falut for not changing sooner. In CO 2004 I hit a pothole at 35 MPH coming down the McKenzie pass, flatted both tires, we stayed upright and didn't hurt the wheels. At 43 1/2 pounds dry, it is certainly not the lightest but it has served us well. We are getting a bit "long in the tooth" for CO so this might be our last but I don't see us getting a new bike.
johnncarol

Postby johnncarol » Tue May 25, 2010 6:47 pm

Our reliable old (approx 11 years) Trek 2000 tandem. This will be it's 4th CO, 2004, 2006 and 2008 plus cycle Montana in 2001 and 2002, Cycle Utah in 2005 and the GRABAWR in 2007. Never a problem and never a complaint. Nothing has been changed from original except seats. We have never been left on the road except once for a broken chain and that was my falut for not changing sooner. In CO 2004 I hit a pothole at 35 MPH coming down the McKenzie pass, flatted both tires, we stayed upright and didn't hurt the wheels. At 43 1/2 pounds dry, it is certainly not the lightest but it has served us well. We are getting a bit "long in the tooth" for CO so this might be our last but I don't see us getting a new bike.
johnncarol

Postby SummerBreeze » Wed May 26, 2010 3:07 pm

I had a pretty blue Jamis Ventura, with bright blue rims, once. It looked great going down the road, but unfortunately, it didn't fit me, no matter how much $$ I threw at it. Finally wised up and asked for, and took some good advice from my LBS. Almost two years, and a few thousand (!!?) miles later, I still wouldn't trade my Trek WSD 2.1. It is so easy to find it in the bike corral too!
Attachments
21wsd_creamorange.jpg
SummerBreeze

Postby ken f » Sat May 29, 2010 9:17 am

A 1994 Serotta Colorado CRL with 8 spd Campy Chorus. It was my first 'good' bike after I started riding and although I've had a few others since, it's still my favorite. It's hardly considered as sporty as it was when it was new, 23 pounds not being light by today's standards. But it fits like a glove and still features the perfect balance of comfort, responsiveness and handling. I wouldn't trade it for anything. This winter it got a complete over haul with all new bearings, chain rings, cables, etc plus the paint touched up, buffed and polished. It's almost like new and I love it.
ken f

Postby Bluefrog » Wed Jun 02, 2010 8:48 am

A Renovo R2, made of hickory and sapele. 19 lbs with a toolkit and full water bottle. It climbs like a mountain goat, and supple enough that chipseal is not painful. I just need to remember to spray it with chlordane every 6 months or so...
Bluefrog

Postby SummerBreeze » Wed Jun 02, 2010 10:54 am

Ooh, I saw a pretty wood bike parked at the Capital on Monster Cookie - sounds like they ride as good as they look!
SummerBreeze

Postby Chuck B. » Mon Jun 07, 2010 7:29 am

2010 Specialized Roubaix with mountain gears, which I didn't have last year (the gears that is) and wished that I had. I climb like a rock, so I need all the help I can get... :mrgreen:
The voices tell the stories. I just record them for posterity.

And the voices have some good ideas sometimes!
Chuck B.

Postby ridewime » Tue Jun 08, 2010 9:31 am

My wife and I both ride GUNNARs made by Waterford. Semi-custom cromoloy frames made in the USA, you get to pick the color and the components. Mine is about 8 years old and hers is 5 and we love them. I gotta say that to have a full custom would be nice but the price difference can make you cry!!!
ridewime

Postby woodenidol » Mon Jul 05, 2010 1:05 pm

Surly Cross Check. Stripped my previous commuters componets.
woodenidol

Postby Jackson » Mon Jul 05, 2010 6:27 pm

Room for 9 plus supplies.

John
Attachments
van.jpg
Jackson

Postby SummerBreeze » Thu Jul 08, 2010 3:56 pm

Jackson wrote:Room for 9 plus supplies.

John

Verrry nice, but the rig you had on Reach the Beach was nicer. Don't forget the bubbles!!!
SummerBreeze

Postby Jackson » Fri Jul 09, 2010 5:17 am

Anytime you can drive your own vehicle is always better. It wouldn't do much good for CO though.
Jackson

Next

Return to 2010 Week Ride - September 11-18