Conundrum

Moderators: Cowboy, Jackson, chris@cycleoregon

Conundrum

Postby pdxjelli » Mon Jul 26, 2010 4:57 pm

I did my first Cycle Oregon last year and it was amazing, so of course I signed up this year. But I'm on the fence as to whether I should go, or cancel...
1) only one of my friends from last year is going
2) I'm really not into rodeos, what else would I do in Pendleton?
3) I may decide to save the vacation time / money for an early 2011 cycling trip to New Zealand.

Now looking at the maps, and thinking of wineries in Walla Walla, I'm torn... any input? Thanks...
pdxjelli

Re: Conundrum

Postby Jackson » Mon Jul 26, 2010 7:29 pm

Of course you should go! Not into the rodeo, perhaps you could go for a bike ride, take the underground tour, wander through town or relax (hopefully by the pool).
Jackson

Postby mytrot » Mon Jul 26, 2010 9:11 pm

PDXJELLI
My first year I went with 4 others and really only knew one. We picked up a couple along the way and had a blast. Last year we added one more and again had a blast so I can understand your reluctance. With 5-8 of us we have 3-4 groups of riders at varying speeds and finish times. We typically finish each day at a local establishment!!

With at least one other there is someone to camp and maybe start the day with. There are always plenty of folks to ride with and at meals chat with. I think you can still have fun.

Can't say any of us ride your speed but you are welcome to camp with us!

ET
mytrot

Postby Force 5 Robert » Tue Jul 27, 2010 1:22 pm

Hmmm, this is a tough one. Especially as you list a cycling trip in another country. Possible to do both? That is the best option :D

I guess one thing to ask is if you will be able to enjoy the terrain for this years ride. Pretty barren and wide open, unlike some other years where it was far more forested ( see also shaded) than this years route. I like. Both types myself but this years is more barren than some.

For me I will not miss it. Even if I had to go completely alone I would do so. If I had to go completely alone and was not able to talk to anyone else it would be worth going for the solitude of riding so far away from all the mess of reality.

In 2008 when my cousin Chris and I were going on our 3rd CO. He hurt his knee one week before CO. His doc gave him the OK to walk on it but told him pedalling was absolutely out of the question. I was prepared to go without him solo. He was so distraught at the thought of not going that he got a handcycle on loan. He rode it for about 20 minutes before we left for CO. He rode almost the entire route that year on the hand cycle. People would ask him, "WHY??" he would say, "better to be on Cycle Oregon than to be at home wishing I were." that is hardcore but speaks volumes to how much fun Cycle Oregon is.

Come on CO and find the two goofy guys who will be riding trikes. We will buy you a beer and celebrate!!!
http://rosecityrecumbentcycles.com/
Force 5 Robert

Postby pdxjelli » Tue Jul 27, 2010 5:03 pm

Thanks for the replies. I'm trying to figure out if I can do both this and the 2011 New Zealand trip, which is MUCH more expensive, and one I've put off for many years for that reason. I was thinking I could use the $850 I paid for Cycle Oregon towards that trip. Cycle Oregon is every year.

Interesting about the terrain - I hadn't thought of that. What's the weather like in September out there? Cold mornings, scorching hot afternoons? I loved the cool shady rides along the Klamath and the Rogue last year. Perfect.

Last year I rode with a group of 4 guys who mostly got to camp ahead of me & set up camp (and reserved a spot for my tent). This year there is one gal I know who is going, and 1 of the guys from last year who will likely ride & camp with his Intel buddies but invited me to camp with them.

Last year I also remember not having time to really relax, since every day was about finding camp, getting my stuff, setting up my tent, taking a shower, having dinner & going to bed. That's all I had time for - no yoga, no casual strolls through town. Maybe this year I can finish faster in order to enjoy all that.

Still torn. But thanks for all the feedback & offers for camping, beer, etc.
pdxjelli

Postby MarkG » Tue Jul 27, 2010 6:25 pm

To be a contrarian... if you don't really want to do it, why not drop out and give the opportunity to someone on the waiting list who does? Just a thought...
MarkG

Postby dunshay04 » Tue Jul 27, 2010 9:55 pm

I can relate to your hesitation.

My first CO was in 2004. I met about 20 women on a Yahoo Group who I trained with all summer and rode CO with. We didn't all ride at the same pace so we weren't together all the time. Sometimes I was on the road by myself. Same thing in camp. Some were in an RV, some were in tent and porter -- I camped by myself. I would get to camp late, find my camp spot, get my bag, set up my tent, take my shower, go have dinner, go to the main stage, go to bed, wake-up, take down tent, go to breakfast, and ride. No time to explore. The ride was in southwest Oregon (similar to last year's route). I had a great week.

My second CO was in 2008 (we started in Elgin that year) and I trained by myself. It was a little boring training by myself over the summer months, so I was worried that I wouldn't have fun on CO. I had another great week.

Although the two COs were completely different expriences, I wouldn't trade them for anything. The difference in terrain is what Oregon is all about. Oregon is truly unique. This year is my 3rd CO and I'm training and riding by myself again. Although it is always better to have company, I'm excited to be riding again this year.
dunshay04

Postby mytrot » Tue Jul 27, 2010 10:30 pm

Force 5

Were you pulling your friend with a rope from Enterprise back to the lake on the layover day? We went by someone doing that and I can't imagine there were two like that!
mytrot

Postby Force 5 Robert » Tue Jul 27, 2010 11:32 pm

mytrot wrote:Force 5

Were you pulling your friend with a rope from Enterprise back to the lake on the layover day? We went by someone doing that and I can't imagine there were two like that!

HA!!! Yes that was me pulling my cousin Chris on that handcycle after we had been living it up at Terminal Gravity Brewery. :shock: :roll: :D

I wish we had a picture of that setup... it was some hilarious times on the way back to camp. The best part was when a state trooper pulled up to pass us... took a look and slowed beside us - I thought we were in trouble. He then faded back and says to my cousin, "You sure know what you are doing!" before he rode off.

HAHAHA!!!!
http://rosecityrecumbentcycles.com/
Force 5 Robert

Postby pdxjelli » Wed Jul 28, 2010 11:53 am

dunshay04 wrote:This year is my 3rd CO and I'm training and riding by myself again. Although it is always better to have company, I'm excited to be riding again this year.

I'll ride with you!

MarkG - good point, I've thought about that too. I have my decision on a strict timeline now. It's not whether I want to do CO this year but whether I can do both trips. Vacation time & funds are limited, but life is too short!
pdxjelli

Postby woodway » Wed Jul 28, 2010 12:36 pm

Regarding the layover day in Pendleton - even if you don't want to attend the RoundUp, you will find plenty to do in town. The streets will be lined with vendors selling everything you can imagine, the stores all decorate their windows for the RoundUp, they usually have a street fair in town, the Umatilla Tribe sets up adjacent to the rodeo grounds with native crafts etc., the Pendleton Woolen Mills has a very interesting tour that is free and the town will be filled with all manner interesting and colorful people of all shapes and sizes. RoundUp week is a HUGE deal for Pendleton, WAY, WAY bigger to the locals than Cycle Oregon coming to town. The place will be buzzing with activity. Just go plunk yourself down in the shade near the rodeo grounds and watch the show!
woodway

Postby suziqt » Wed Jul 28, 2010 12:39 pm

pdxjelli,

ABSOLUTELY YOU MUST GO!!!!!!!! 2,199 of your best buds will be there!

:mrgreen:

suziqt
suziqt

Postby SesameCrunch » Wed Jul 28, 2010 12:59 pm

I am going to this, my first CO, with just one familiar person. We will likely ride at different paces, so I don't think I'll see him much. However, I expect there will be 2,000 friendly people at Cycle Oregon who share my cycling hobby/addiction. And I look forward to the road-side, rest-stop-side, meal-side, camp-side conversations with "strangers".

As for the rodeo, it's not my first choice of leisure activity either, but I am looking forward to a new experience. Yee Haw!

Hey, we should organize an "Orphan" group. Go around terrorizing the established groups and raiding their S'mores or something...:)

I hope I'm right about the people being friendly and all...
SesameCrunch

Postby pdxjelli » Wed Jul 28, 2010 3:53 pm

I found people to be friendly last year. So much so that I recall coming up with new things to say instead of saying "on your left", like "how are you?" I got all kinds of interesting answers, like "my butt hurts", which was one we could all relate to at that point!

Generally people in camp are friendly & will talk to you on the road, at rest stops, in line for meals or blue rooms. The only time I got any solitude was in my tent!
pdxjelli

Postby suziqt » Wed Jul 28, 2010 4:27 pm

pdzjelli,

Oh yea, everyone is happy to be there. Look for me, I will have the best ((bling)) on and license plate too! I will buy you a brewsky! :mrgreen:

SuziQ
suziqt

Next

Return to 2010 Week Ride - September 11-18