Conundrum

Moderators: Cowboy, Jackson, chris@cycleoregon

Re: Conundrum

Postby Tender Chunks » Wed Jul 28, 2010 7:03 pm

Suzie Q,
(Excuse me while I put my monocle in place and slip into my Colonel Clink personnae...)

Smek! Smek! Smek! (sound of Clink slapping sense into you with his riding gloves)
You vill ride Cycle Oregon this September.
And you vill LIKE it!!

(Resume normal shlump personnae...)
Yes, less trees; but later in the year than usual, so more chance of less heat. (Less chance of more heat?)
And, hey! Them thar ro-day-o's are more fun than jugglin' sidewinders in a room full o' gasoline and jittery terrorists with strike-anywhere kitchen matches, boy howdy!!
This is the 100th anniversary of one of the great Oregon institutions (Pendleton Roundup), and us Cycle Oregonians have a chance to sashay around Pendleton in our spandex and wraparound shades and hoist brewskis and otherwise hob knob with the worthy boot scooters and hay balers. Consider it your duty as an Oregonian to let the pickup-and-PBR set know that us valley dwellers aren't as bad as we usually come off. (OK, well we actually are, but that will be our little secret...)

Just don't wear your "Unicorns: The Other White Meat" t-shirt. :P
Tender Chunks

Postby suziqt » Wed Jul 28, 2010 8:21 pm

Tender,

" sashay around Pendleton in our spandex and wraparound shades ". Were all gonna get pounded! :cry:

Suziqt
suziqt

Postby pdxjelli » Thu Jul 29, 2010 12:12 pm

hi SuziQT,
thanks for the brewski offer - I'm one of those strange people who doesn't drink beer, however, but I do like other frosty beverages.

Considering that I can carpool & have a place to stay in Elgin the night before & night after CO, I think it's pretty much a done deal. Sounds like there is plenty to do in Pendleton as well.

Now, what about the weather? Anyone? I need to know what to pack. Last year I was able to leave all my cold weather gear at home! Medford was HOT!
pdxjelli

Postby Force 5 Robert » Thu Jul 29, 2010 12:26 pm

I am packing for heat - but it should be colder in the AM times I think. I run warm anyway so will bring the leg warmers... probably leave the long riding pants at home though.

I usually keep a tab on the weather at a few various points on the route and decide on the last day based on the extended forecast...

Glad to hear you will be going!!! :)
http://rosecityrecumbentcycles.com/
Force 5 Robert

Postby suziqt » Thu Jul 29, 2010 12:50 pm

Always pack for cold weather! In 2006 we awoke with frost on our sleeping bag...IN the tent! Then went up to 85 by noon. We bring those heat packs, the ones you shake and they heat up. Those are great for sleeping bags and in your gloves!

Pendleton may be opening the outside pool. You will always find things to do in the lil towns.

Glad you are going.

Suziqt
suziqt

Postby Force 5 Robert » Thu Jul 29, 2010 1:57 pm

suziqt wrote:Always pack for cold weather! In 2006 we awoke with frost on our sleeping bag...IN the tent! Then went up to 85 by noon. We bring those heat packs, the ones you shake and they heat up. Those are great for sleeping bags and in your gloves!

Suziqt

Ahhh this is very true. You never really know. I will echo the heat packs - thanks for the reminder! I had not put those on my list yet but they are very nice.

Part of does not want it to be cold but the other part of me likes the fond memories of everyone crowded around the fires at various rest stops on those cold days. :D
http://rosecityrecumbentcycles.com/
Force 5 Robert

Postby suziqt » Thu Jul 29, 2010 2:30 pm

Oh yea, in 2006 when we got caught in freezing rain at the ski lodge...good times. Thought I was going to die!!! The Van pulled over and heated me up, very nice guy. Hmmm, at least I THINK he was with CO! :roll:

Yikes

Suziqt
suziqt

Postby dunshay04 » Thu Jul 29, 2010 8:11 pm

I know in 2003 they ran into bad weather up by Joseph.

In 2004 we tried to make it to the rim of Crater Lake and they turned us around due to a storm at the rim. Only a few hundred people were able to make it to the rim that day before they turned us around. I was about 8 miles down when the state police turned me around. We all froze on the way down. The local snow mobile club built us fires in their warming huts. That was nice.

2008 was absolutely gorgeous.

For 2010, I've heard CO previously ran into snow on our day 7 route up by Tollgate. Does anyone know if that's true and what year that was?
dunshay04

Postby nauseklis » Thu Jul 29, 2010 11:05 pm

My recommendation is make your decision based on the situation around the New Zealand trip (a rare opportunity to go you must seize now) or funding the trips and NOT because you would be going alone.

My own personal story is the first year I did CO was 2008 in Elgin. I trained alone, registered alone, and while I carpooled over to Elgin with someone I knew and new some that worked that also worked where I did, I did not ride with them or was "offically" part of that group.

With that said, it was a life changing experience (and I am not talking just about the wonderful ride!) in that on advice from someone, they said not to eat with anyone I knew. The best time was just plunking down anywhere in the dining tent and striking up a conversation. I did so that first night in Elgin and met a wonderful man who travelled from Holland for CO. I also met a great group of seniors that put me to shame with my riding, another woman who we traded our apprehension about some of the upcoming climbs, etc. Well, to make a long story short, I am now married to "that nice man from Holland", we live in the US and now coming back to Elgin this year has special significance to us. If I had not gone because I was not "with someone" I would have missed out on so much. Being an "orphan" on CO can be lonely at times but you always can find someone to talk to, share a bottle of wine, etc.
nauseklis

Postby Jackson » Thu Jul 29, 2010 11:26 pm

dunshay04 wrote:\

For 2010, I've heard CO previously ran into snow on our day 7 route up by Tollgate. Does anyone know if that's true and what year that was?

The course was rerouted that year to avoid Tollgate. After a little rain and a brief ride on the freeway, turned out to be a beautiful day.
Jackson

Postby suziqt » Fri Jul 30, 2010 7:58 am

Nauseklis ,
THAT is an amazing story! Wow. :D

My first year was 06. I met so many wonderful people just training in my city. Then met great people on the forum before the ride and have remained friends.

CO should be on everyone's bucket list! Well, that, and an awesome tat!!

Suziqt
suziqt

Postby slv0700 » Fri Jul 30, 2010 9:14 am

If you have a chance to go on a bike ride to New Zealand........GO GO GO !!
CO is every year..........!!!! This is a NO BRAINER !!!
slv0700

Postby Dean M. Rodgers » Sat Jul 31, 2010 5:38 pm

The "what else to do in Pendleon" part of the question is easy http://www.cycleoregon.com/blog/people- ... pendleton/
Dean M. Rodgers

Postby Marble » Mon Aug 02, 2010 8:57 pm

Wait, wait, go back a few messages. It certainly did snow on us on "Deadman Pass". We certainly did get saved by all huddling in a big log cabin lodge with a fire. It was like a suana with people hanging their wet clothes everywhere and trying to dry out by the fire. An epic CO adventure made all the better by the amazing dry downhill run to Athena.

Actually it was the cold 50/50 mix of snow and rain and the lodge was not as much fun as the first paragraph sounds now. But it is a hell of a good story, it is true and I'm sticking to it.

Clyde
Marble

Postby suziqt » Mon Aug 02, 2010 9:37 pm

...yea, and then the Pterodactyl came swooping down and........
suziqt

PreviousNext

Return to 2010 Week Ride - September 11-18