Packing

Moderators: Cowboy, Jackson, chris@cycleoregon

Packing

Postby pdxjelli » Tue Aug 03, 2010 11:48 am

Last year I crammed everything into my XL rolling duffle but ended up taking the uncomfortable camp stool back to REI. How in the world do some people manage to pack tent, sleeping bag, sleeping pads, chair, and clothes into a bag weighing less than 65 pounds? I need to get a new lightweight chair that is actually comfortable.
I guess some people "share the load" when they share a tent, but I don't have that luxury. Ideas?
pdxjelli

Re: Packing

Postby johnncarol » Tue Aug 03, 2010 2:19 pm

Having learned from 3 previous CO and four other 7 day trips, I can offer the following. You can save some space by rolling each days riding clothes into a tight roll, put them in a 1/2 gal zip lock and press out all the air. In addition to saving space you just pull out a bag each morning and have all your clothes. Cold nights I throw the bag into the foot of my sleeping bag so I am not putting on cold Lycra. I do the same with things like arm and leg warmers, vests and jackets. We take along one large zip lock to throw dirty clothes into and then press out the air. I also take the very light weight hiking clothes for after riding and do the same with them, one pair pants, one pair shorts, one short sleeve and one long sleeve shirt. We use the extra large camping towels from Rei (30 in by 49 in) and they fold up into a small pouch. You can also save space using an air mattress rather than pads that are bulky. Get one of the little battery powered pumps. Takes just a few minutes to pump it up and in the morning you can suck all the air out to get it really flat for packing. A single mattress can fold up quite small. I have spent many nights on pads while back packing and I can tell you the air mattress is more comfortable. The only chairs we ever took are the REI chairs that sit on the ground and roll up into a tube. Frankly, I have never liked them.

I have to admit, as older folks we now opt for the convenience of tent and porter so we save all the space of the tent. However in earlier days we did use our own tent, a two person REI, and could easily fit it all into a ski boot bag and a duffle, with space to spare. Ski boot bags are great because you have the separate compartments.
johnncarol

Postby johnncarol » Tue Aug 03, 2010 4:07 pm

Just to make sure I wasn't feeding you bad dog food, I compared our double air mattress to a single Thermarest. Our air mattress folds up smaller by a fair amount. Are you using a stuff sack for the sleeping bag. I get both of ours into one stuff bag. We do the same with two small foam pillows.
johnncarol

Postby riding2live » Tue Aug 03, 2010 6:17 pm

Only bring what you'll NEED, not what you THINK you might need. Use multi-purpose clothing and layer if necessary. I seem to always bring too much but I always seemed to get it in the bag within the limits. This year may be more of a challenge because we've gotta have cowboy gear for Pendleton. Boots, spurs, chaps, cowboy hat, western shirt, lasso, bullwhip and a horse.
Ride like the devil's behind you, becuz he is---and he/she is drivin' a car textin' on the phone.
riding2live

Postby bfuller24 » Tue Aug 03, 2010 7:15 pm

The metaphorical link between my childhood growing up on a ranch with cattle and my current life getting as much time in on a bike as my family life will permit gets a boost every time I think about this CO trip to Pendleton. My steel horse, boots that click into my stirrups, leg warming chaps, western shirt jersey, cowboy hat helmet, spurs in my brain, brake cable lasso, and voice activated bullwhip will all be packed into my OGIO 9800 rolling duffle, the best bag I have found for Cycle Oregon.
See you all there.
Brad
Stronger today than yesterday but not as strong as tomorrow.
bfuller24

Postby mytrot » Tue Aug 03, 2010 10:18 pm

I use the largest basic duffle from REI. I believe it is over 10000 CU IN unfortunately they do not sell them anymore. It was not too expensive and has survived 2 CO's. The volunteers are great but not gentle!

I pack my clothes in 10 Gallon Zip Locs. They are great for being able to roll the air out. An extra couple for dirty clothes or even for a laundry shaker bag (fill with water and soap!). Also you can separate bike, cold/wet bike, after bike, etc. And you can see in them!

I take a pretty good selection of bike and after wear but not too much. I use convertible pants (legs zip off) to save space and yes, you may see me in the same t shirt twice!! Luckily last year my cold weather gear never got used! And I do get a chair in.

I use a thermarest. Not as comfy as an air matress but a little warmer. Time wise i'd say about the same. It takes a minute to get that air out in the AM! I had back surgery 9 months before my first CO and it worked great.

One thing I do is pack a separate day bag. All the stuff I will never pack into the duffel. Helmet, bikes shoes etc.
mytrot

Postby riding2live » Tue Aug 03, 2010 11:02 pm

Almost forgot. No self-respectin' cowboy would be with out a can of chew is his back pocket, so better throw in a few cans of that also. Then there's the spitoon for in the tent at night. Just don't ride behind me out on the highway--you might get something in your eye, LOL
Attachments
cowboy_spitting_into_a_brass_spittoon_royalty_free_080915-001915-458042.jpg
cowboy_spitting_into_a_brass_spittoon_royalty_free_080915-001915-458042.jpg (11.78 KiB) Viewed 2993 times
Ride like the devil's behind you, becuz he is---and he/she is drivin' a car textin' on the phone.
riding2live

Postby Force 5 Robert » Wed Aug 04, 2010 4:53 am

Im all my CO's I have never got close to the weight limit before running out of space in the mondo duffle from REI. I would have to load up with some heavy books to get there. Typically the space in the bag vanishes before then.
http://rosecityrecumbentcycles.com/
Force 5 Robert

Postby ridewime » Wed Aug 04, 2010 8:25 am

My wife and I and friends use Big Agnes Air mattresses. They weigh about the same as a Thermarest, pack much smaller, are way more comfortable and have an insulation layer for those cold days. They take a little time to blow up and deflate but we take them on all of our camping trips even though we have larger thicker pads available.

We found some tripod chairs at REI that have a backrest(Important for the older in body if not mind set). They are fairly comfortable and weigh about 4 pounds.

Last year(our first) we used the Zip Lock bag thing and found that they punctured easily which made it hard to keep the air out and therefore to pack. This year wwe ar looking at LokSak, www.loksak.com, they come in a variety of sizes and are tough enough that we have been using a small one for a couple of years almost weekly for a lot of different things, mostly food storage. They also have a bag that blocks odors!!!!
ridewime

Postby wayneh » Wed Aug 04, 2010 11:21 am

I must agree with ridewime on a couple of points. I too use a Big Agness air mattress - they compact up small, yet are very comfortable when inflated, and don't take that long to inflate. I have a sleeping bag by the same company that has a built-in sleeve on the bottom that the mattress just slips into. Works great, no sliding off the pad in the middle of the night. I probably also have the same REI camp stool with the back rest. Not like a lounge chair, but not bad, and packs up pretty small and light. For packing I use the Hefty large ziploc bags and then smaller freezer bags, and have never had any issues keeping things dry and organized.
wayneh

Postby mytrot » Wed Aug 04, 2010 4:31 pm

If you can find the monster ziplocs (5-10GAL) they are prtty heavy duty. Some of mine made two CO's before leaking. Even then the leaks are small enough you can compress, pack and they expand inside the duffle!
mytrot

Postby johnncarol » Wed Aug 04, 2010 4:39 pm

We have looked at a lot of the bags made for packing and are still in Zip locks. I can't see spending several dollars per bag for somewthing that we may use only a few times a year. If leaks are a problem, take along a few extra bags. We do use the big 2 1/2 gal zip lock for dirty clothes.

For those of you using an air mattress, Aerobed makes a little pump that runs on 4 D cells. We pump up a double mattress in a couple of minutes and deflation takes about the same. Batteries have lasted through 2 CO rides. It comes with three different attachments so fits virtually any opening.
johnncarol

Return to 2010 Week Ride - September 11-18