Fishing?

Moderators: Cowboy, Jackson, chris@cycleoregon

Fishing?

Postby boldaddy » Fri Aug 06, 2010 10:34 pm

Is anybody planning to bring a fly rod on the ride? We'll be in the vicinity of some nice streams.

This is my first Cycle Oregon so I'm not sure how much free time we'll have. I don't want to waste valuable duffle bag space for a rod that will not get used.

Advice, or thoughts on the matter are appreciated.
boldaddy

Re: Fishing?

Postby Shifty » Sat Aug 07, 2010 7:19 pm

Interesting, I'm not sure what you are thinking, fishing during the ride might be tricky, especially is you intend to keep the rewards. If you have a rack I guess you could strap a backpacking rod on and stop when you see a nice spot. If you are thinking about just fishing after the daily ride that would be easy, depending on the location of the stream from camp. A backpacking rod wouldn't take much space in a duffel bag. If you're a catch and release type of guy it should work.
This would have been nice on last year's ride in places like Happy Camp, Lake Selmac and the Rogue River.

I might add that if you start cooking fresh fish in camp after the ride, you may have a fight on your hands! :lol:
Clip in and let's go!
Shifty

Re: Fishing?

Postby riding2live » Sat Aug 07, 2010 8:07 pm

Saw a couple of guys two years ago on the ride between Joseph and Elgin (last day). They had Camelbaks on or maybe a backpack with their rods broke down and lashed to the pack. They stopped off and dipped a line in the river along side the road. I'm sure they were just fishing for the sport (catch-and-release). Sure looked like fun and a nice break from the routine of the ride (altho' last day wasn't too bad at all).

"A bad day fishin' is better than a good day at work!!"
Ride like the devil's behind you, becuz he is---and he/she is drivin' a car textin' on the phone.
riding2live

Return to 2010 Week Ride - September 11-18