Help! Any Celiac/gluten-free people out there?

Moderators: Cowboy, Jackson, chris@cycleoregon

Help! Any Celiac/gluten-free people out there?

Postby schmidthorn » Sat Aug 21, 2010 3:07 pm

Found out last week that I have Celiac Disease — cannot eat wheat/gluten. I am getting the hang of how to handle this day to day, but on a week-long bike tour where they supply the food? Overwhelming. I contacted Ingrid, and apparently I can bring along some food in a cooler that will be available when I can't eat what's being served, but ack, I don't even know where to start! I can't eat Larabars all day. :? Any suggestions would be appreciated, especially from anyone who's done CO gluten free.

BTW, I've done CO many times, so I am very familiar with how things work, which helps a little bit.

THANKS!
schmidthorn

Re: Help! Any Celiac/gluten-free people out there?

Postby vickihriver » Fri Aug 27, 2010 10:56 am

Hi... I have not CO before but also am Gluten Free. I have been concerned about the food as well.
I plan to bring along some GF granola and GF bars. Preferably I would like to have some brown rice or other GF grains for carbs during the week...but not sure if this is available. If a cooler is an option then I do have lots of ideas of alternative foods.
vickihriver

Postby schmidthorn » Sat Aug 28, 2010 8:31 am

Thanks, I have PM'd you.
schmidthorn

Postby dunshay04 » Thu Nov 18, 2010 8:41 pm

Would like to hear how it went for you and how you ate during the week. This year was my 3 CO and by far my worst. Just found out that I am gluten intolerant and possibly have Celiac -- waiting for test results. Now I'm questioning next year's CO.
dunshay04

Return to 2010 Week Ride - September 11-18