Finish Line Disappointment

Moderators: Cowboy, Jackson, chris@cycleoregon

Re: Finish Line Disappointment

Postby suziqt » Fri Sep 24, 2010 8:18 pm

slv,
I hear ya kid. I was just looking at my pictures and now want to go again. It's like giving birth..... "Oweee, oweee WTF, get it out...............well, that wasn't so bad" :mrgreen:

Suziqt
suziqt

Postby ffrazz » Mon Oct 04, 2010 11:16 am

The Top 3 Finish Lines
(No Particular Order)

The Umpqua Bank barbeque--forget which year but it was great finishing with a BBQ sandwich.
2005--The Astoria finish with the Taste of Astoria.
2006--The Umatilla finish with the food company we only used one year's nice hot lunch at finish.
ffrazz

Postby Shifty » Mon Oct 04, 2010 3:58 pm

The "unofficial" finish last year at the Heaven on Earth Bakery/Cafe :lol:

I also had a fantastic time at the finish in Sisters in 2007.
Clip in and let's go!
Shifty

Postby murphdog0_0 » Mon Oct 04, 2010 7:06 pm

This was my 4th CO in a row and a total of 5 (the freezeree in 03' was my first). I too thought about making it my last. The days were long and like others I felt pushed to hurry up and get each day done. I road with a slower rider and tried to make each day as much fun as possible. I took the option days off this year and explored the towns. The fatigue catches up with you though. It's not like I didn't train enough...>2.5K miles,3 century rides, and an Ironman. I'm not sure why, but in general it just felt like an "off year" and people just didn't seem to be quite as stoked as in the past. I was looking forward to a post-ride party like some of the CO rides in the past too. I will be going to the announcement party next year and it's all depends on the route as usual. If we don't sign up that will free up a tent porter spot for somebody...yippee :wink: ! I may just wait and see what the 25th Anniversary Ride may be like. The 20th was tough.....but it was epic!
Live fast, die young, and leave a good looking corpse.........PTL.
murphdog0_0

Postby suziqt » Tue Oct 05, 2010 12:16 pm

murphdog,

I totally agree!! :?

Suziqt
suziqt

Postby tim walton » Thu Oct 07, 2010 7:14 am

I'm a little surprised at the number of riders who feel this year's ride was too difficult.

At 6' 2", 220 lbs and age 59, I'm not exactly a prime example of a hammer head.
Worse, after riding nothing but recumbents for the last 6 years, I bought a new road bike this March. I had hoped to get 2,000 miles training prior to CO, but in the end I had fewer than 1200 miles by the time I arrived in Elgin.

I was surprised at how easily I handled the ride. I rode 6 out of 7 days- the only day I didn't ride was Day 6, when I went to the Pendleton Round Up instead of riding.

I've never sagged on CO. I must admit I thought about sagging on Day 3 last year (my knees were barking at me), but I toughed it out and was glad I did. I never even thought about sagging this year.

I credit my bike (a titanium Moots Vamots) with smoothing out the bumps in the road. I was really worried about my ability to handle 420 miles in the saddle after taking 6 years off from road bike riding, but my Vamoots rode like butter.

Never a strong climber, I was a bit concerned about Day 2 and Day 7, but in the end both days were totally manageable for me.

The finish line party wasn't that impressive, but as others have noted, once you cross the finish line the party is over. I grabbed my bag, loaded my bike on my car, took a quick shower and headed for home. Happily, Elgin was only 3 hours from home, and I slept deeply in my own bed Saturday night.

I'll probably do more COs. This was my 7th or 8th CO (my memory left me long ago). The scenery is always spectacular, the friends I ride with are hilarious, kind and fun, the CO organization does a phenomenal job, and the people I meet on the ride are for the most part interesting, happy and kewl.
tim walton
boise, id
tim walton

Postby markhappyguy » Mon Nov 08, 2010 1:28 pm

This was my first CO.

I have done 6 Centuries this year before the week ride along with my traiing so I felt I was in shape for this. It WAS hard for me. I was on the saddle from 8-to-5 and did not use the Tent-and-Porter service. So I did not really get back in time to enjoy much of the in-camp activities such as yoga, bike workshops, and the like.

I felt the route was a bit long for me to really enjoy the ride, to have time to stop-and-smell-the-roses for it was a hurry up ride each day.

I would love to do it again next year but really hope that the organizers map out an easier route, whether it is a shorter distance and/or not as hilly.
markhappyguy

Postby Don Bolton » Fri Nov 12, 2010 12:45 pm

I've been quiet so far about this. This year was my 15th (in a row) Cycle Oregon and I found it to be taxing. Worse then epic mountain work we had constant rolling climbing that seemed endless. For whatever reason I could not get my mental attitude straight.

The days are too long mileage wise. A 60-65 mile day with challenges is one thing, packing on another 2 or more hours of riding means for many of us hitting camp late enough to preclude enjoying the community (or the ride).

It seems no matter what I do it averages 10mph with the stops. Lines, food, sunscreen, layering, etc all conspire to drag out the day. Add photo ops, social interactions, and occasional mechanical issues and an 85 mile day becomes an 8.5 hour day, toss in a flat or two and it becomes an epic day.

To be fair my training isn't the same as it was 10 years ago. Having a farm to keep up on as well as a full time job does detract from bike time but in past years I could ride myself into shape on the ride. This year that just didn't seem to happen.

I'd love to see them back down the everyday epic rides to more manageable distances with options for those of you that can average 15 mph with stops or whatever. I don't mind one "epic" distance day on occasion but a whole week of them sort of deters from the vacation aspect of the ride.

Don "maybe I'm just gettin old" Bolton
Don Bolton

Postby markhappyguy » Fri Nov 12, 2010 12:50 pm

Don Bolton,
Good to hear that a veteran such as yourself has had the same experience. I thought CO is a ride for most of us middle-of-the-road cyclists not the elite ones who make it their life to ride.

I hope the CO organizers listen and revise their approach in planning such routes in the future.

Mark
markhappyguy

Postby suziqt » Fri Nov 12, 2010 1:22 pm

Don,
I could not have said it better! I was soooo looking forward to the entertainment at night but was way too tired, and sore, to enjoy any of it. I only see some of my CO friends once a year, so not to be able to enjoy a brewsky with them was very sad. :( AND........with the majority of us CO's being my age, let's keep it "geared" to our age.

I have done 3 CO's so far and the first two were the best vacations I have ever been on in my 54 years. I would love to repeat 06 and 07!

SuziQ
suziqt

Postby riding2live » Sun Nov 14, 2010 1:16 pm

Maybe it's time to split the week ride into two one-week rides since there's 2200 riders plus who knows how many on the waiting list. Could have one week for us old codgers that like some challenge other than riding up Kilimanjaro. I'm for shorter distances too since getting into camp around 4:30 to 5:00 and doing all the necessary things on arrival made for very little fum and relaxation at night. Then they could have a week ride for the young hot dogs that like to go fast, hog the entire road without yielding to cars etc could do their thing. Being 64 and having had a 5 way bypass 8 yrs ago I don't need to climb 10-12% hills all day long---in fact, I just can't do it.

But all said i'll be one of the first to sign up for next year probably by 7:32PM the night they open registration. I enjoy the parts I can and suffer the bit that's not So fun. The good outweighs the bad yada yada yada.
By the time I hit the finish this year at about 5 it was time to hustle to the car because rain was just 5 minutes behind me once I got rolling. Would have been nice to have been able to et in earlier and enjoy the finale with friends but it was 6hrs driving to get home in the downpour mark the end of an epic week.

See ya all next year---------------GO DUCKS!!!!! NUMBER 1!!!!!!!
Ride like the devil's behind you, becuz he is---and he/she is drivin' a car textin' on the phone.
riding2live

Postby Shifty » Sun Nov 14, 2010 5:33 pm

Oregon is a very hilly state, I'm not sure how you could do a week ride without them. For many of us it's the difficulty that makes it fun and interesting. I was a bit tired in Clarkston, but still managed to dance and rock to the band. I did pay a price the next day on that first hill :roll:

Here's an alternative to Cycle Oregon http://www.bak.org/
Clip in and let's go!
Shifty

Postby suziqt » Sun Nov 14, 2010 6:37 pm

Glad to hear I'm not alone in my thinking about this years difficult ride. We plan to attent the ride announcement at Nike next year and probably sign up. Everytime I drive on a country road or see a pine tree, I miss peeing in the woods in between blue rooms...good times. :oops: Maybe I just need to sag.............OMG, DID I JUST SAY THAT!! :shock:

Go Ducks!

Suzi-Q
suziqt

Postby David-E » Sun Nov 14, 2010 8:18 pm

I'm glad to hear I'm not the only 5 bypass rider. I got mine on the last day of the 2004 ride. I was the guy lying on the side of the road at the 2 mile point outside of Lost Lake. I did the 85 mile ride on day 1 of the Weekend ride last year and learned what patella tendenitis feels like. It got worse and I had to drop out of the Week long ride. I can ride the distance but have trouble with the hills. I'll be there in February signing up again. I'll turn 68 on September 11, 2011. I am in favor of 2 options, one with few hills and one with all hills or one ride with very hills options. Hope to see you all in February.
David-E

Postby mytrot » Wed Nov 17, 2010 12:02 am

Well this is only my third CO 08,09 and 10. I was in better shape and lighter than when I was in college. I am under the average age at 46 and train what I think is good for a desk jockey, weekend rider.

I agree that something about this year made it seem quite hard. I think the rollers had a lot to do with it for me. With all the options days 1-3 were tough and the leisurely ride to WW was nice. I paced myself on the two big hills and came out of those OK sans a large, swollen groin infection on the last day!

CO is what it is. I usually finish between 1 and 3 even on the longest days and survive well. It is work and as noted I enjoy the challenge of the hills. I also love a good flat paceline run, front or drafting. I don't stop as much as many but have some great photos at 20+ mph!

In my short run it seems too many come to CO that do not really train for or want to ride and sag too easily. CO is a bike ride first. Be ready and don't whine. You know what you are signing up for before it starts. Hills, distance, etc. Maybe they can do two runs one for riders and one for the social group some day but for now it is substantially a ride.

I know this may seem harsh but I guess the question is what should CO be designed for?

ELT
mytrot

PreviousNext

Return to 2010 Week Ride - September 11-18