Ride difficulty

Moderators: Cowboy, Jackson, chris@cycleoregon

Re: Ride difficulty

Postby screenwasher » Sat Oct 02, 2010 7:57 pm

JohnJ, As a 60+ solo first-timer to CO and mainly a recreational touring cyclist, I concur with you totally. I rode on all days except the Pendleton optional day, but on most days it was ride, set up camp, shower, eat, sleep, break camp, ride, repeat. Having to ride 6-8 hrs a day plus leisurely stops for photo ops, lunch, rest breaks and socializing, I had little free time left for the entertainment, beer garden, sightseeing in towns etc. I did meet a lot of friendly folks at breakfast and dinner in camp. On the other hand, I have well over 300 memorable photos along the way to remember the experience fondly. A 60 mile average day with daily options of 20-40 miles for the serious folks might be just the formula to keep some of our demographic returning year after year.
screenwasher

Postby Sam » Sun Oct 03, 2010 5:50 pm

I'm a middle aged, middle of the pack rider. Some days I get into camp later than I would like. I have no cartilage in one knee so my friends leave me in the dust on the hills. But I would never advocate for shorter days or a CO Lite. I do CO because of what it is - a challenge. I want to eat, sleep, ride, repeat. I can sightsee, hike, shop, etc all year. I want to be scared of the ride all summer so I get out and ride distances and hills I would never voluntarily think would be a good idea on a Sunday afternoon. My group has looked at other rides, but we all keep coming back to CO for just these reasons. If it is too challenging for you for whatever reason, there are plenty of other tours that offer shorter days, more layover days or hotel stays. But as for the week CO - as grandma always said, if it isn't broke, don't fix it.
Sam

Postby Shifty » Sun Oct 03, 2010 7:52 pm

I agree with everything Sam said above, keep it challenging and fun. By the second week of September we should all be in the best condition of the year, and we should have trained up to the ride, after all the routes, hills and distances have been known to all since the kick off. No "lite" routes, if you're not up to it, either don't sign up, or give up your spot to the waiting list. I always enjoy the feeling of accomplishment on the drive home.
Clip in and let's go!
Shifty

Postby davek » Sun Oct 03, 2010 9:22 pm

I agree with Sam and Shifty, we know every Feb what kind of ride this is and it's our responsibility to be ready. There are plenty of people on the waiting list dying to get on the ride and I've had friends training all year not go because their number never got called. If you're not willing to put in the miles AND you want to complain the ride was too hard, you'll get no sympathy from the rest of us. BUT, that's just my opinion...
davek

Postby Red Zinger » Mon Oct 04, 2010 9:59 am

As I said on another thread, I think Cycle Oregon does a fine job of providing for all of us and our many wants and needs. We range from strong, athletic riders who like to ride fast, hard, and long to riders who view Cycle Oregon as a vacation by bicycle, something more than just putting in miles (touring mentality). Over the years, Cycle Oregon has developed ways of accommodating the great variety of cyclists (with options, layover days, SAG availability), even if each of us doesn't get exactly what we want all the time! It seems to be working!
Red Zinger
Red Zinger

Postby markhappyguy » Mon Nov 08, 2010 1:32 pm

I would rather see optional, longer route loops for those who want it challenging. Have the ride to be a moderate one in terms of distance and/or terrain and leave it at the end for those who want more. Put in longer loop routes from the destination point so those who want more can keep going.
markhappyguy

Postby On Your Left » Sat Dec 04, 2010 8:00 pm

I neglected to mention one of my favorite Portland winter-time training rides: Mt. Tabor. It's a bit repetitive, but repeat climbs on Tabor simulates those seemingly endless rollers. 10 repeats of Tabor nets ~ 4,400 el. gain in about 35 miles. It takes a few hours, but I break it up with a nice lunch on top.
Indoor spinning is great, but I'll take anything outdoors over the indoor routines. Until the snow melts higher up, it works. I did the ride today, and had the entire hill to myself -- it seemed. Sans snow, I prefer winter riding to the blazing heat of summer 8)
On Your Left

Postby landcommentary » Sun Jan 30, 2011 1:09 pm

I am interested in the experience of older riders who have completed the weeklong ride. I am 68 and very interested in doing the ride this year.

If you are my age or older, were you able to complete every day without calling for help? What was your experience on the longer mileage days and on significant climbs.

Bill
landcommentary

Previous

Return to 2010 Week Ride - September 11-18