Miles Since CO

Moderators: Cowboy, Jackson, chris@cycleoregon

Miles Since CO

Postby ridewime » Fri Nov 05, 2010 10:58 am

Just curious, How many miles hsve you ridden since the finish of CO this year. It seems terribly hard to get the motivation what with work, weather,etc. I have made it about 250 miles in the last 7 weeks. Not enough as far as I am concerned.
ridewime

Re: Miles Since CO

Postby slv0700 » Fri Nov 05, 2010 7:30 pm

Hey, me too ! I've been too busy trapping, fixing, nurturing 7 cats.
Have been missing the good weather due to having to work 2 desks due to a co-worker leaving last June.....not enough hours! We've had lots of fog also...will try & get out tomorrow when fog lifts...am going to have to re-train my butt all over again.
slv0700

Postby johnncarol » Fri Nov 05, 2010 8:49 pm

I think a post CO letdown is unavoidable. For the three weeks after the ride I really wasn't motivated at all to get on the bike (nothing to look forward to). I think I rode only 3 or 4 times. Then when I did start riding again, I still wasn't motivated and my legs just didn't feel that great. I sort of forced myelf to get back on. I am just now getting back to my old self, riding three or four times a week but the longest I have done is 47 miles. This has been my pattern after each of the 7 day rides I have done.
johnncarol

Postby Chuck B. » Mon Nov 08, 2010 8:57 am

Zero. Busy, busy, busy, plus motivational issues...
The voices tell the stories. I just record them for posterity.

And the voices have some good ideas sometimes!
Chuck B.

Postby wayneh » Mon Nov 08, 2010 12:08 pm

I learned the year that the Livestrong Challenge first came to Portland that trying to do a long ride too soon after CO is not something my body can do. So I waited a little longer this year and did the Harvest Century back on October 9th. The weather was crappy wet, and the thought of climbing over Chehalem Mountain dissuaded me from doing the 75 mile route, so bailed and did the 42. Since then I've gotten on the indoor trainer a couple of times, and last night got out the rollers. It's time. I can't afford to lose all of my base over the winter, so this year I'm determined to keep up a weekly routine.
wayneh

Postby woodway » Mon Nov 08, 2010 3:00 pm

828. (Almost) fulltime bike commuter. Got home from Cycle Oregon on saturday night, rode to work on monday. It's so much fun, why stop 8)
woodway

Postby ridewime » Tue Nov 09, 2010 12:07 pm

It would be great to Commute to work and then I would not have a problem motivating. My commute would be 28 miles one way with ove 2000 feet of climbing. Live in Salt Lake, City Work in Park City and now it is snowing. :roll:
ridewime

Postby woodway » Tue Nov 09, 2010 12:46 pm

That would be a big commute!

I am in the Seattle area and my commute is 36 miles RT with about 2000 feet of climbing. My CO training last year consisted of commuting 4-5 days/week and a couple longer rides on the weekends leading up to CO.

With this base, I found the ride to be no problem. Didn't even need to use any chamois butter during the week :D Great way to keep the motivation up if you can make it work.
woodway

Postby boldaddy » Wed Nov 10, 2010 12:45 pm

During September I was able to get in a Saturday ride each weekend and a couple of commute trips. Somehow though, Oct and Nov. have been tricky, with the weather and responsibilities with work and kids.

One great thing - The base of strength from CO seems to sticking with me. I've ridden a couple of cyclocross races and recreational rides where I've been riding with people that used to be a lot faster than me!

I'm hoping that I can keep it going. I made myself some sweet buddy fender flaps last night so that I'll be welcomed to the Saturday paceline as the weather turns yucky.
boldaddy

Postby badger » Fri Dec 10, 2010 11:30 pm

Just got in another 16 miles on my 3 week old Fatback snow bike!! It was a fun workout, my tracks were buried when I returned to parking lot it was snowing so hard. Must have got 3" in the time we were out. With large Marge in the front and 3.8" Larrys on the rear it was a lot of fun!!!
badger

Return to 2010 Week Ride - September 11-18