GPX files

Moderators: Cowboy, Jackson, chris@cycleoregon

GPX files

Postby admin » Sun Aug 21, 2011 10:52 am

Here are the GPX files for this year's ride, from leisure1. He says:

The GPX files include the survey data from our initial survey of the route. The survey data includes a Track Log and 1,350 waypoints. The Tracks and Waypoints might be too much information for some GPS units – so I also included a "Route" for each day.

Finally I made one additional file that contains all of the routes and includes the rest and water stops – but does not have the track points. This is probably the file that most people want.
Attachments
Cycle-Oregon-2011.gpx
(889.49 KiB) Downloaded 385 times
01 Sutherlin to Cottage Grove.gpx
(590.67 KiB) Downloaded 378 times
02 Cottage Grove to Reedsport.gpx
(724.8 KiB) Downloaded 403 times
03 Reedsport to Bandon.gpx
(642.22 KiB) Downloaded 366 times
04 Bandon to Port Orford Option.gpx
(483.98 KiB) Downloaded 250 times
05 Bandon to Powers.gpx
(539.51 KiB) Downloaded 245 times
06 Powers to Riddle.gpx
(756.78 KiB) Downloaded 393 times
07 Riddle to Sutherlin.gpx
(463.48 KiB) Downloaded 382 times
admin
Site Admin

Re: GPX files

Postby Leedo » Thu Sep 01, 2011 10:24 pm

Finally I made one additional file that contains all of the routes and includes the rest and water stops – but does not have the track points. This is probably the file that most people want.

Is the one without all the track points the cycle-oregon-2011.gpx file?
Image - Leedo

A.K.A. Supergrover
My Blog: normalguytri.com
Twitter: @normalguytri
Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/leedo
Leedo

Postby mytrot » Fri Sep 02, 2011 12:19 pm

Yep, thats the one.
If you use it on a Garmin device/Mapsource it may not route correctly.

ELT
mytrot

Postby leisure1 » Tue Sep 06, 2011 10:17 am

I would be interested in feedback on these files. I plan to load them to my GPS and see how well they work. For all the years I have use a GPS to survey the route – this will be the first time I have tried to use them to navigate. We have however loaded these on Nuvi’s that are in the SAGs for the last couple years and have learned a lot about how stupid GPS’s can be.

We have learned a lot by trial and error. Some things you may want to know.

You are probably aware that the software on your computer (Mapsource, Streets and trips, etc) will lose its brain and maybe not navigate along the route. You can mitigate this by setting your avoidances to let it use gravel roads – all of the roads we are on are paved – but the map databases think some of them are gravel. Also – I have set lots of points along the route – the program has to navigate to each point – so the more you place the less likely that it will go down the wrong road.

It doesn’t matter much what your computer software does – because once you load the route on the GPS – the GPS will recalculate the route.

We discovered that the Nuvi’s are real good for getting you from point A to B – providing you don’t care how you get there. It is a whole different story if you want it to navigate along a specific (and sometimes obscure) route. So we came up with a backup solution. Don’t navigate. If you can set enough waypoints you can simply follow the crumbs. I have set a waypoint every 1/2 mile or so. Close enough that most GPS’s will see the next two or three.

Please let me know how the files work for you – and I will use your feedback to improve on them next year.
leisure1

Postby leisure1 » Tue Sep 06, 2011 10:17 am

I would be interested in feedback on these files. I plan to load them to my GPS and see how well they work. For all the years I have use a GPS to survey the route – this will be the first time I have tried to use them to navigate. We have however loaded these on Nuvi’s that are in the SAGs for the last couple years and have learned a lot about how stupid GPS’s can be.

We have learned a lot by trial and error. Some things you may want to know.

You are probably aware that the software on your computer (Mapsource, Streets and trips, etc) will lose its brain and maybe not navigate along the route. You can mitigate this by setting your avoidances to let it use gravel roads – all of the roads we are on are paved – but the map databases think some of them are gravel. Also – I have set lots of points along the route – the program has to navigate to each point – so the more you place the less likely that it will go down the wrong road.

It doesn’t matter much what your computer software does – because once you load the route on the GPS – the GPS will recalculate the route.

We discovered that the Nuvi’s are real good for getting you from point A to B – providing you don’t care how you get there. It is a whole different story if you want it to navigate along a specific (and sometimes obscure) route. So we came up with a backup solution. Don’t navigate. If you can set enough waypoints you can simply follow the crumbs. I have set a waypoint every 1/2 mile or so. Close enough that most GPS’s will see the next two or three.

Please let me know how the files work for you – and I will use your feedback to improve on them next year.
leisure1

Postby mytrot » Tue Sep 06, 2011 12:21 pm

Leisure,
I rebuilt the routes using the stops, peaks, MM, etc from the maps along the way as well as some added points to get Mapsource to route. I did compare yours with mine to get it as close as possible. With the exception of day 3 as there is a new road that has not hit Mapsource or its provider Navteq.

You are very correct in that the unit will pick its own path. I have tried to use my 60CSX on my own routes with mixed results. It does not like loop routes!!

I will be using mine just to see how it works and I'll have all the points if I want/need them. Mostly I carry it to track my route an upload to ridewithgps, mess with the data. Nerdy engineer type....

Thanks for the routes and enjoy the week!

ELT
mytrot

Return to 2011 Week Ride - September 10-17