bike security

Moderators: Cowboy, Jackson, chris@cycleoregon

bike security

Postby ridempony » Fri Sep 09, 2011 11:21 am

As a newbie I'm not clear on how/where to stow my bike when not in use. Is there a monitored "bike corral?" If not, is it important to bring a lock? If bikes are stowed near tent (and I'm in porter area), where? how? Thanks for any info!
ridempony

Re: bike security

Postby mytrot » Fri Sep 09, 2011 11:54 am

They do have corrals, not monitored, throughout camp.
T&P is pretty tight for bikes by tents. Likely have to use a corral.
Never heard of a bike theft and we never lock our bikes. Camp is pretty safe. If you plan on stopping in towns maybe a lock then but we don't lock them up there either!
mytrot

Postby dunshay04 » Fri Sep 09, 2011 12:24 pm

This is my 4th CO since 2004. I have never once locked my bike and haven't had any problems or heard of any problems -- not even in Pendleton last year during the 100th Pendleton Round Up. Usually we are the biggest/best thing to come to a town so we are treated wonderfully by the locals. I was concerned about Pendleton last year since there were thousands of people in town for the Round Up -- didn't know how secure our bikes and other items would be. There were no problems that I was aware of.
dunshay04

Postby ridempony » Fri Sep 09, 2011 2:02 pm

awesome, thanks! i love bike corrals for their simplicity. and that way my pony won't get lonely :)
ridempony

Return to 2011 Week Ride - September 10-17