Hint for next year's ride

Moderators: Cowboy, Jackson, chris@cycleoregon

Hint for next year's ride

Postby dunshay04 » Sun Sep 18, 2011 3:09 pm

I wasn't at main stage the last night to hear the hint for next year. On Saturday I heard a bunch of different things. Something like: longest, highest, paved road with no turning back and that it will put the hill climb on day 6 to shame. Was there anything about being on roads we've never ridden, or staying in towns we've never been to? Thanks.
dunshay04

Re: Hint for next year's ride

Postby mytrot » Sun Sep 18, 2011 4:45 pm

DS,
That was all I heard. Didn't hear it would put day 6 to shame but a longer climb. Did sound like the climb was new territory.
mytrot

Postby Red Zinger » Sun Sep 18, 2011 7:43 pm

I thought Jonathan said that we will "climb higher, farther, and longer than we ever have before." The secret, of course, is in how we interpret that!
Red Zinger
Red Zinger

Postby Cassidy » Sun Sep 18, 2011 10:21 pm

I didn't hear it would put Day 6 ("Stairway to Heaven") to shame, but it did sound like it would be long, high and epic.
Cassidy

Postby David R » Sun Sep 18, 2011 11:58 pm

I was not there to hear the hint. I doubt if he said the highest paved road because that would be too much of a give a way. The highest paved road is Mt Ashland at over 7000 ft. Why father and longer in the same breath unless farther means how far from portland and longer means miles of continues climb. However the word farther could mean miles for the day. We once did a climb of 8 miles at 11% and this was described as the longest steepest climb in CO history. So a climb from ZigZag to Dufar might count as you would have a constat climb of over 20 miles, top out at 6000 feet(timberline lodge) and total miles on the day of 80 miles, or maybe we really are going to climb Mt Ashland.
David R

Postby Clipinnow » Mon Sep 19, 2011 8:02 am

Consider the rides before this one:

Climb to Diamond Lake from La Pine ( '07 )

Climb to Joseph from Halfway ( '03 and '08 )

Climb out of Enterprise in '02

Climb in '99 that went from cold to hot to cold again ( before my time )

Just some thoughts to ponder.
"Equal rights for all, special privileges for none." - Thomas Jefferson
Clipinnow

Postby David R » Mon Sep 19, 2011 8:04 am

The no turning back comment probably means a point to point ride next year. This will also slow down the sign up so that it does not sell out in 24 hours.
David R

Postby cheneyt119 » Mon Sep 19, 2011 12:07 pm

I interpert the no turning back comment to mean "no up and back routes". For example up to Timberline Lodge and return Hwy 26 would be turning back. So the climb has to be over a pass, therefore the highest paved pass in Oregon is the answer? That seems like a fairly easy question to look up. Is that what others are thinking? What's the highest paved pass in Oregon anyway?
cheneyt119

Postby Rugbydad » Mon Sep 19, 2011 1:09 pm

It will be EPIC. Some awesome country. Enough said!!!!
Rugbydad

Postby Rugbydad » Mon Sep 19, 2011 1:10 pm

Think LOOP. Another Great One.
Rugbydad

Postby cheneyt119 » Mon Sep 19, 2011 2:04 pm

Nothing wrong with day 6, that was a fine climb, through some breathtakingly beautiful country, 3800 ft, nothing to sneeze at. Fantastic descente, great road for descending. I've been riding a while, but I can think of a dozen climbs I've done that were harder than that one. Tour de Blast is twice as hard in good weather, to say nothing of the crud weather we suffered through this year. Day 6 had almost no wind and it was an EASY GRADE on a comparatively smooth road. If we are going to use day 6 as the measure of comparison to other rides in the future? BRING IT ON BABY!!! I'm all in.
cheneyt119

Postby raftersteve » Mon Sep 19, 2011 2:29 pm

I thought Day 6 this year was actually quite plesant, especially on the Trek 6.9 demo bike I rode!

Rattlesnake was much harder and hoter last year, not to mention the "rollers" going into Pendelton wihch were more tiresome.

I look forward to a tougher challenge in '12.
CO '10,'11,'12,'13
raftersteve

Postby willsd » Tue Sep 20, 2011 8:17 am

I interpreted what Jonathan said that Cycle Oregon will include the highest paved road in Oregon. I thought he said that pretty clearly.

Which makes it a dead giveaway: Crater Lake. Crater Lake Rim Road is the highest paved road in Oregon (7900 feet). Also, since Jonathan said the climb is longer and farther than ever in Cycle Oregon history, it's going to start at some point way below Crater Lake, and climb all the way up to Crater Lake. I don't know all the options there, but Roseburg, OR to Crater Lake is a very long climb.

So I'm counting on Crater Lake next year.

Here are the websites with the info:

http://lagranderide.com/lagranderide-hi ... climb.html

http://blog.oregonlive.com/terryrichard ... t_rim.html

As for the highest pass in Oregon, I believe it's McKenzie Pass. Riding from Eugene over McKenzie Pass into Sisters would be a very long climb and would fit the description if it didn't include the "highest paved road in Oregon".
willsd

Postby MapMan » Tue Sep 20, 2011 11:25 am

I agree with willsd. I spoke with an insider who said the course would be fairly convenient to riders coming from California but not so easy to get to from Hwy 101. However, we did have a ride to Crater Lake (option from Diamond Lake camp) in 2007 - the 20th Anniversary ride. Would we go back up there so soon? Hmmmmm... The person predicted that next year's route was so attractive that it would probably sell out in less than 24 hours. Sounds okay to me. :)
Ride on!
MapMan

Postby mytrot » Tue Sep 20, 2011 2:23 pm

willsd has a good point but I interpereted as climbing "higher" meaning higher altitude than before which would preclude previous routes.
And I think they have done all the Cascade Passes.
mytrot

Next

Return to 2011 Week Ride - September 10-17