Hint for next year's ride

Moderators: Cowboy, Jackson, chris@cycleoregon

Re: Hint for next year's ride

Postby johnncarol » Mon Sep 26, 2011 3:18 pm

As a couple with a combined age of 144 years, our motto is "death before SAG" and we have yet to set foot in a SAG. Love the bubbles and love the music, just don't ask us to get in. :)
johnncarol

Postby tbcpn » Mon Sep 26, 2011 9:04 pm

Red Zinger wrote:...As an aside, I have to say that many older riders manage the climbs just fine while some people half their age don't. :roll:

My very casual observations of the handful of times I've been at a place over the past few COs where a full SAG van was off-loading folks is that there is a pretty wide age spread amongst the folks SAG-ing. I didn't notice any bias toward young / old / "in between".
tbcpn

Postby BlueRidgeSean » Wed Oct 12, 2011 11:27 am

Hi all,

My interpretation is that we'll be climbing an old forest service road that has just been paved or will be paved before September. Johnathon spoke a lot about creating a lasting impact on communities with regard to cycling. Oregon has created several Scenic Bikeways like the Glendale-Powers route which were on for the first half of Day Six this year. Here is a link to other Scenic Bikeways: http://www.oregon.gov/OPRD/PARKS/BIKE/

Funny, I didn't see the Glendale-Powers trail on this list but I recall seeing signs along the ride on Day Six that marked the road as a Scenic Bikeway.

Since it's a big anniversary ride i don't think we'll be going back to Crater Lake. Johnathon hinted that it wouldn't be an out and back climb, but like a previous poster said you could ride up and over the rim. Anyway, my guess and hope is that we'll be riding on a brand new road somewhere we've never been before. My girlfriend thinks that CO will try and tie in part of the Oregon trail as well. I guess we'll just have to wait and see.

Last year was our first CO and we were blown away with every facet of the ride. I think it truly is the best bike ride in America.

Cheers,

Sean
BlueRidgeSean

Postby grandpabent » Thu Oct 13, 2011 8:01 am

If you head into Crater Lake from Fort Klamath and out towards either Diamond Lake or Prospect it is not an out and back.On a beautiful sunny day I could never have too much of riding around Crater Lake.
grandpabent

Postby macsdad » Mon Oct 17, 2011 11:34 am

Guessing where we will be going is great sport. Check out rideoregon.com.-Praire City location. Ride 1 rated extreme difficulty and almost a century.
Ride 2 is 51 moderate miles. 2 nights one campsite. The John Day locations offer lots of options and smaller communities-Condon, Fossil, Seneca, Kimberly. Agree with comments on Mitchell-been there done that and once is enuf.

Great part of Oregon we visited in'01. I'd like to go back.
macsdad

Postby Red Zinger » Tue Oct 18, 2011 11:00 pm

I'm still guessing next year's route will be a linear one, perhaps all the way across the state again, with more cumulative feet of climbing than ever before.
Red Zinger
Red Zinger

Postby slv0700 » Wed Oct 19, 2011 9:42 am

Per google, the longest paved road is up over Crater Lake
slv0700

Previous

Return to 2011 Week Ride - September 10-17