Hint for next year's ride

Moderators: Cowboy, Jackson, chris@cycleoregon

Re: Hint for next year's ride

Postby Clipinnow » Tue Sep 20, 2011 3:14 pm

The highest paved road in Oregon ends a mile off Rim Drive on the east side of Crater Lake at 7,900 feet.

"nuff said.
"Equal rights for all, special privileges for none." - Thomas Jefferson
Clipinnow

Postby cheneyt119 » Wed Sep 21, 2011 8:56 am

Looks like the road we used from Powers to Riddle was Forest Rd 3348 in the Siskiyou National Forest. Major forest roads are just two digits. Just looking at my DeLorme map book if we are down to 4 digit forest roads there's just no telling. There are hundreds and there's no telling which ones are paved.

We look at a common road map and these national forest roads are left off for a very good reason. They are not passable in winter. Recent tragedies have been caused, by people relying on internet mapping with no local knowledge, attempting to cross them in winter.

What's the highest paved pass in Oregon may require very specific local knowledge to answer. If I had a Forest Service Map of every Oregon National Forest I'd have a better idea. Maybe I'll just wait until February, it is a very difficult to even speculate about.
cheneyt119

Postby Entiat » Wed Sep 21, 2011 10:13 am

willsd wrote:Which makes it a dead giveaway: Crater Lake. Crater Lake Rim Road is the highest paved road in Oregon (7900 feet). Also, since Jonathan said the climb is longer and farther than ever in Cycle Oregon history, it's going to start at some point way below Crater Lake, and climb all the way up to Crater Lake. I don't know all the options there, but Roseburg, OR to Crater Lake is a very long climb.

So I'm counting on Crater Lake next year.

Crater Lake in 2007 was, without a doubt, my favorite day on a bike, ever (unlike Crater Lake in 2004...). So here's hoping for CL on CO 25, a temp of 70F under clear blue skies!

A week like 2007 will also slow down the signup rate, and no doubt lower the average age of riders for a year. It will also, once again, overload the sag wagons on the last few days of the ride as people burn out.

With climbs (and, more specifically, descents) like that, and since my new stoker wants to ride again next year (I was solo in 2007), it also means I will finally be motivated to get disk brakes on the tandem.
Entiat

Postby Leedo » Wed Sep 21, 2011 4:11 pm

This is what I wrote down on my phone as Jonathan was talking. Not sure of the accuracy of the quote-

"Seed of a clue: That hill we climbed yesterday was too short. One day next year we are going to climb higher, longer, without backtracking, than we ever have."

You may take that to mean higher in terms of elevation or higher in total climbing. I'm leaning toward higher in total elevation because "higher in terms of abosolute elevation" is too easy and only leaves us with 3-4 roads over 7500'.

I'll look over some previous routes to get an idea of highest total elevation and absolute elevation and get back to the group.

Time to start bribing my wife to let me sign up again next year.

Should be fun. }B^)
Image - Leedo

A.K.A. Supergrover
My Blog: normalguytri.com
Twitter: @normalguytri
Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/leedo
Leedo

Postby willsd » Thu Sep 22, 2011 8:30 am

The "without backtracking" in Jonathan's quote would seem to preclude Crater Lake, as to get to the highest paved road on the Rim Road involves backtracking.

One possibility: Going from the Eugene area to Sisters over McKenzie Pass. I don't think Cycle Oregon has ever gone over McKenzie pass west to east (they went east to west in 2002). I'm pretty sure that climb would exceed anything ever done on Cycle Oregon in the past. I know McKenzie Pass is pretty high (I think it is the highest mountain pass in Oregon).
willsd

Postby EZPZ » Thu Sep 22, 2011 9:09 am

How about an up around and over with Crater Lake? Something like Ft. Klamath to Diamond Lake?(or the other way around)
EZPZ

Postby HalfBent » Thu Sep 22, 2011 1:54 pm

I'm banking on inclusion of Crater Lake. Either touching a portion of the rim as we did in 1992 on CO V and 1996 on CO IX or including going around the rim. It's such an epic ride and something always to celebrate.

The higher probably means total climb for a day and not abolute top elevation reached - but could be a combination. There was another rumor about it being easier for Califorians to get to the start - thus a Southern Oregon start location.

I'm guessing it will be a loop route - they just make most sense logitically, but... big anniversary rides aren't always logical. One thing that Cycle Oregon has never done is a true North to South or South to North "state-line to state-line" Route. CO II is the closest at Portland to Ashland.

Also, CO V and XX both climbed the west side of McKenzie Pass (Hwy 242) on it's way to Redmond or Sisters. CO X and XV climbed the east side of McKenzie Pass.

Let the speculation and excitment continue. CO XXIV was great! My 21st. My favorites are still CO V and XX - maybe that's why I want so much to return to Crater Lake.

Tailwinds,

Joe
HalfBent

Postby Cassidy » Thu Sep 22, 2011 5:35 pm

Leedo wrote:This is what I wrote down on my phone as Jonathan was talking. Not sure of the accuracy of the quote-

"Seed of a clue: That hill we climbed yesterday was too short. One day next year we are going to climb higher, longer, without backtracking, than we ever have."

You may take that to mean higher in terms of elevation or higher in total climbing. I'm leaning toward higher in total elevation because "higher in terms of abosolute elevation" is too easy and only leaves us with 3-4 roads over 7500'.

How about Mt. Hood / Timberline Lodge? Perhaps from Sandy to Hood River, or vice versa. If the ride went up the West Leg Road to Timberline, and then down the main Timberline Road there would be no backtracking. There'd be roughly 6,000' elevation gain from Hood River, slightly less from Sandy, and roaring descents on very good (though highly trafficked) roads in either direction.

This route also has historical significance, because it includes one of the most famous sections of the original Oregon Trail, Laurel Hill.

Just thinking out loud...
Cassidy

Postby Clipinnow » Fri Sep 23, 2011 8:19 pm

Cassidy wrote:
Leedo wrote:This is what I wrote down on my phone as Jonathan was talking. Not sure of the accuracy of the quote-

How about Mt. Hood / Timberline Lodge? Perhaps from Sandy to Hood River, or vice versa. If the ride went up the West Leg Road to Timberline, and then down the main Timberline Road there would be no backtracking. There'd be roughly 6,000' elevation gain from Hood River, slightly less from Sandy, and roaring descents on very good (though highly trafficked) roads in either direction.

This route also has historical significance, because it includes one of the most famous sections of the original Oregon Trail, Laurel Hill.

Just thinking out loud...

Remember - No Back Tracking - How does one get down from Timberline. The same way they go up...

Timberline is not the big climb next year. Does not mean it is not in the mix. Also Hwy 26 and 2200 cyclists - bad mixture I think.
"Equal rights for all, special privileges for none." - Thomas Jefferson
Clipinnow

Postby Rugbydad » Sat Sep 24, 2011 7:45 am

I think Crater Lake Loop is the best for #25. What an anniversary!! Bets are it is included.
Rugbydad

Postby Force 5 Robert » Sat Sep 24, 2011 8:38 am

Crater Lake seems "too easy" a guess to me. Not that I would mind - 2007 was awesome and the fact I rode the loop was an epic achievement for me for my fitness level at that time. If doing again I would get to do it on the trike! Woot!
http://rosecityrecumbentcycles.com/
Force 5 Robert

Postby Agribob » Sat Sep 24, 2011 9:13 am

Hey Clip in Now,

As the original poster said "If the ride went up the West Leg Road to Timberline, and then down the main Timberline Road", this would not be a loop.

The West Leg Road goes from Government Camp up to Timberline. Relatively unknown it is a gorgeous route. I had the pleasure of exploring it for the first time this summer. You can find it on Google maps.

Bob
Agribob

Postby SevenHeaven » Sun Sep 25, 2011 11:56 am

Back in '99, CO touted the Anthony Lakes highway between Ukiah and North Powder as the highest STATE highway in the state. The longest highest uphill that I can think of (with no return)would be from North Powder climbing UP past Anthony Lakes over the top to Ukiah. That would also bring the average age down in the sign up process! I suspect, for the 25th anniversary, a cross the state venture. Just as long as we stay away from MITCHELL I am all for it. I sure wish they would do a north to south venture like in 2000. That was one of the best routes!
SevenHeaven

Postby nelsonm » Sun Sep 25, 2011 8:08 pm

Why are people interested in a route that would lower the average age of cyclists on CO?
nelsonm

Postby Red Zinger » Mon Sep 26, 2011 2:56 pm

I don't know that they are interested in a route that lowers the average age (are you, anyone?), they just suspect that a very challenging route with more climbing than ever before might have that result. As an aside, I have to say that many older riders manage the climbs just fine while some people half their age don't. :roll:
Red Zinger
Red Zinger

PreviousNext

Return to 2011 Week Ride - September 10-17