Gearing down for CO25...

Moderators: Cowboy, Jackson, chris@cycleoregon

Re: Gearing down for CO25...

Postby D/CUTTER » Tue Nov 01, 2011 2:28 pm

what ever you don't buy the ird 11x28 cassette,they are the worst of all for smooth shifting,stay with ultegra!
TIME TO ROLL
D/CUTTER

Postby joec » Sun Nov 06, 2011 8:19 am

Thanks for the interesting replies...

While the topic can get techno, my intention was to see if there are any reasonable options to relieve some of the stresses I've felt while cycling, not to get in with some "inner circle"... Granted more training will help. The conversation about chainring sizes, I analogize to wearing pants with inseams too long...you can fold up the cuffs and still wear them but is that the best fit for you?

So far I'm liking the change, I feel less stressed after my rides, especially on familiar routes (could also be from the base added on CO24 :wink: )...we'll see as more miles get added.

Ride safely...

8)
joec

Postby cheneyt119 » Sun Nov 06, 2011 1:24 pm

There were times on some of the climbs where just a little lower gearing would have felt a little bit better.

I agree and I think we all have climbs that are too steep. I rode a 50/34 12-28 and I geared down from training with 11-26. I'll switch cassettes for a more versatility and 28 is the biggest an ultrega will handle. I was astonished when I'd ask people what cassette they were running some didn't know, I guess the one that came with the bike. I was also amazed to see people walking their bikes.

On the way into Charleston on Day 3 and that bugger of a 12.5% hill on the last day, the rest wasn't very steep IMO. Both of those I had to stand to maintain momentum. I train on some pretty steep stuff, but it doesn't really matter. Very few of us get used to 10%+ grades no matter how much we ride hills. I wouldn't change a thing on your bike. Just accept the the fact that sometimes they engineer roads that are too steep to climb comfortably. After all in 500 miles those were about 1.5 miles worth over 10% or more grade; ehh it happens. Besides I already geared down when I went from 53/39 to 50/34 cranks and that's enough for 99.9% of the time.
cheneyt119

Previous

Return to 2011 Week Ride - September 10-17