2011 Route Speculation

Moderators: Cowboy, Jackson, chris@cycleoregon

2011 Route Speculation

Postby Leedo » Tue Jan 25, 2011 1:35 pm

Diverting from the 2010 forum...

On the final night of CO 2010 Jonathan teased us with this:
"We are going to ride next year the finest 80 miles of paved road in Oregon that Cycle Oregon has never done. Go look at your maps and figure it out."

User "Jackson" said this:
"Just guessing myself. The powers that be know I am horrible about keeping a secret. Can't wait for the Kick Off!"

On Friday, 1/21, CO sent out this teaser in email:
"This year our traveling two-wheeled circus will be coming to town in six places that have never had the pleasure of hosting it. Of course, that also means days and days of new roads, too - stunningly scenic roads, actually." So that means the 6 overnight stops will be at towns that have never seen Cycle Oregon.

On the night of 1/21 I posted the following analysis:
108 cities in Oregon have hosted CO overnight. I won't list them all here.
Top overnight cities:
1. Halfway (6 times, 4 differnt years)
2. Elgin (5 times, 3 different years)
2. Sisters (5 times, 3 different years)
4. Baker City (4 times, 3 different years)
4. La Grande (4 times, 3 different years)
4. Diamond Lake (4 times, 2 different years)
4. Wallowa Lake (4 times, 2 different years)

User "Dunshay04" posted this analysis:
"We've been bored in our household so we developed a spreadsheet, reviewed the info on prior rides, printed off an Oregon map and put stick pins all over it and here's what we came up:
"We think the southern Willamette Valley, the central coast range, south central coast and possibly the Roseburg area. Possible overnight spots are Philomath, Junction City, Waldport, Mapleton, Reedsport, Coquille, and Winston (all small towns). In 1997, CO 10 rode from Monroe to Yachats (80 miles) and it was described as "soaring towards the sky." We could take a similar route from Junction City to Waldport and follow the Alsea Scenic Byway to the coast and then turn south.
"Just south of Coquille is the town of "Powers" and Jackson did mention that the "powers" that be know he is bad at keeping a secret. A road heading south from Powers into the Siskiyou National Forest forms part of the Coquille-Rogue Scenic Byway. There is also the Powers to Glendale Bike Route. Okay, the madness has to stop. The 8th just has to get here."

User "HalfBent" added this:
"I agree with the guessing of the southern coast range as the core, but I'm thinking further south. I think the "80 miles of pavement that Cycle Oregon hasn't ridden" (or whatever the actual quote from Jonathan was) refers to the Glendale to Powers "Tour de Fronds" route. Cycle Oregon hasn't overnighted in Bandon, Coquille or Mrytle Point. Coquille and Myrtle Point both fit the classic description of a town Cycle Oregon would target to overnight, and Bandon, with it's tourism, would be a good fit (but maybe for a day/option ride, much like Walla Walla was last year). We're passed through Sutherlin but never overnighted. Florence and Coos Bay were on Cycle Oregon I as overnights. Let the speculating continue..."

Looking forward to more analysis and speculation. This is fun.... }B^)
Image - Leedo

A.K.A. Supergrover
My Blog: normalguytri.com
Twitter: @normalguytri
Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/leedo
Leedo

Re: 2011 Route Speculation

Postby dunshay04 » Tue Jan 25, 2011 9:36 pm

Leedo wrote:User "Jackson" said this:
"Just guessing myself. The powers that be know I am horrible about keeping a secret. Can't wait for the Kick Off!"

Don't forget that before "Jackson" posted the above, he wrote:

"Perhaps we might get a chance to go somewhere "Heavenly"?"
dunshay04

Postby cutandrun » Wed Jan 26, 2011 6:41 pm

Is Mt. Angel "heavenly"? Never been there myself.
cutandrun

Postby Leedo » Thu Jan 27, 2011 2:42 pm

They are really pushing the idea of virgin territory here. From the front page, the rotating graphic has 2 different faux road signs...

1. A green rectangle sign saying "Entering New Territory"
2. A yellow diamond shaped warning sign that says "New Roads Ahead"

Might this be more of the theme for the year?

Also, from the rotating graphic...

"Unbelievably, Cycle Oregon 2011 - our 24th annual tour, if you're keeping track - will cover almost entirely new roads. That right, seven days of riding that's almost entirely on roads we've never traversed. Mark your calendar for the February 8 Kickoff Party, where we announce the route and registration opens online."

So almost all of the route is new territory for CO? That rules out a lot of roads.

I grew up in the Medford/Roseburg/Grants Pass area so I love to see CO go back to SW Oregon. The problem with that area is that CO has already been on many of the major through roads and would have to stick to the less traveled areas, which they typically try to do anyway.

Here is me going way out there...

Following the "heavenly" psuedo-clue from earlier (not sure I can all it an official clue yet since it may be misdirection) I found the following referces to "heavenly" in Oregon-
Heavenly Wings Pet Cremation, Salem
Heavenly Harvest Farm, Corvallis
Heavenly Heat & A/C, Salem
All Annimals are Heavenly, The Dalles
Heavenly Donuts, Gladstone
Heavenly Accounting, Lafayette
Heavenly Candy Company, Portland
Heavenly Touch Massage, Eugene
Slice of Heaven Bakery, Grants Pass

There are streets in 4 towns in Oregon called "Heavenly"-
Heavenly Court, Sutherlin
Heavenly Lane, Veneta
Heavenly Way, Eugene
NE Heavenly Lane, Bend

OK, I've done enough. Chew on that for a while.
Image - Leedo

A.K.A. Supergrover
My Blog: normalguytri.com
Twitter: @normalguytri
Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/leedo
Leedo

Postby boldaddy » Fri Jan 28, 2011 11:13 am

My guess is Southeastern Oregon.

There is rumored to be a nice stretch of new pavement from Burns to Malheur.

What a beautiful ride that could be. Then you've got to ask - Would they send us up the Steens Mountain Loop to Keiger Gorge and Big Indian Gorge? I've seen cyclists do it, but they are usually on Mountain bikes. And, they leave at oh-dark thirty to get the ride done within a day.

While discussing this with a pal, he then responded, hmmm... a trip into the corner of Nevada, just like we did Washington last year, and California the year before.

Cheers,
Glen
boldaddy

Postby jeffk » Fri Jan 28, 2011 9:28 pm

I would LOVE for it to be in SE, because after 23 years in Oregon I still have never been there. That dip into Nevada was what I was speculating last year. It's been awhile since I've looked a detailed map of that area, but I don't remember there being much in the way of towns out there - small or otherwise. Nevertheless, when you look at the route overlays on the poster of the first 20 years, there ARE gaping holes in SE. Intriguing, indeed.

One thing is for certain -- come Sept 10th I'll be headed for wherever it's starting from! Meanwhile, those tight-lipped CO folks in the know are probably getting a big kick out of all the guessing going on!
Life is cycling - the rest is details...
jeffk

Postby ridewime » Sat Jan 29, 2011 8:08 am

I don't know about going into Nevada from Oregon. I have driven thru about half of Northern NV and there is a whole lot of nothing out there, including paved roads. The hiways are not heavily used but it is a long way between towns and finding a place for rest and lunch stops would be tough. The one route I looked at, from Adel, OR to Denio Junction, NV, is over 80 miles and there is not a town there. There might not even be many houses.

Further East might be better but I don't know that area at all.
ridewime

Postby Force 5 Robert » Sat Jan 29, 2011 9:38 am

Looking at the far SE section of Oregon on Google Earth it looks like a shadeless brown wasteland. Ugh. I am not too sure how I would feel about that.
http://rosecityrecumbentcycles.com/
Force 5 Robert

Postby jeffk » Sat Jan 29, 2011 7:55 pm

Yes, looking at the 20-year overlay of routes, there's probably a good reason for the dearth of roads covered out that way.
Life is cycling - the rest is details...
jeffk

Postby cutandrun » Mon Jan 31, 2011 9:57 am

South central Oregon is nice. Lakeview is a pretty little town. East of there gets barren in a hurry. I live in SoCal and have driven up the 95 many times on my way to CO rides in NE Oregon. From Winnemucca to the outskirts of Boise there is nothing but scattered sheep ranches and dirt. Any "loop" into Nevada would take us into near moonscape.
cutandrun

Postby boldaddy » Mon Jan 31, 2011 12:10 pm

You're right. It would be a long haul into Nevada. I was thinking Denio, but after that last post I checked it on Google Earth. It's Tiny.

Has CO ever been to Nyssa? that would put us right on the edge of Idaho. I don't know anything about that part of Idaho, but I could see several towns that could be visited on google maps.

I had a dream last night that the ride was next weekend. I found myself with my gear packed, but but ZERO training. I rode 40 miles on saturday with moderate hills and can still feel it. I was relieved to wake up and realize that I've got several months to get back into shape!

Cheers,
Glen
boldaddy

Postby EZPZ » Mon Jan 31, 2011 4:48 pm

We started in Nyssa in 2002. The Cycling Site http://www.cyclingsite.com/history/ has a list of cities from the early days.
EZPZ

Postby Alex from Eugene » Mon Jan 31, 2011 5:58 pm

Y'all are forgetting that Jonathan said the entire ride would be in Oregon this year. We also started from Nyssa on CO X (1997). After the dry wheat country in the North of the state and East of the mountains last year, I'm betting this years ride will be more West, South and Green. Southern Oregon coast range, maybe? Looks like that was CO 1 !
Alex from Eugene
"work to eat, eat to live, live to ride, ride to work"
Alex from Eugene

Postby iRide » Wed Feb 02, 2011 1:20 pm

Somewhere "heavenly"? How about Heaven on Earth Restaurant (Azalea, OR) and their cinnamon rolls in '09? And "powers that be"? Powers, OR is a day's bike ride away from Azalea. Less than a week to go before we know for sure!
iRide

Postby boldaddy » Wed Feb 02, 2011 1:22 pm

This probably just an outdated website. From Condon - http://discovercondon.com/get-involved-in-education/
Service Learning Programs

Service Learning Programs teach local children values. This year students will be involved in helping prepare for Cycle Oregon’s visit, the success of which will be celebrated with a barbecue and water balloon fight.

---------------------
I know that CO has been to Condon a few times. The clue above says that we're looking at 6 NEW locations to spend the night. It doesn't say anything about a lunch stop such as was the case in Walla Wala.

This totally goes against my other speculations, but this popped up during a web search, so I had to throw it out here for the group. Again, I assume it's just a three year-old webpage, but who knows?
boldaddy

Next

Return to 2011 Week Ride - September 10-17