Ride difficulty?

Moderators: Cowboy, Jackson, chris@cycleoregon

Ride difficulty?

Postby Leedo » Tue Feb 08, 2011 9:52 pm

In looking through the maps and elevation profiles the route this year appears to be in the low to moderate category when compared to previous years, such as '08 or '09. The biggest climb is on day 6 (about 4000') but the other days don't appear to get over 1000'.

Is this accurate?
Image - Leedo

A.K.A. Supergrover
My Blog: normalguytri.com
Twitter: @normalguytri
Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/leedo
Leedo

Re: Ride difficulty?

Postby johnncarol » Tue Feb 08, 2011 10:05 pm

Last year after the ride, our 4th CO, we said that maybe that was it for us, two older folks on a tandem. We did the whole ride but it was tough for us. I couldn't resist looking at the route as soon as it was posted tonight and my wife and I had the same reaction, "hey, this doesn't look too bad compared to last year" so we signed up again to celebrate our big 75th and 70th birthdays. I trust that some good soul will give us the elevations soon but I can't believe it comes close to the 24,000 plus feet of 2010.

So look for the Green and yellow Green Bay Packer colored Co-Motion in Sept.
johnncarol

Postby boldaddy » Wed Feb 09, 2011 12:42 am

Seeing the profiles tonight I was thinking that I'd leave my triple-chainring bike at home and opt for the racer. Then I saw day 5. Hmm.. Looks like a couple of steep pitches.

As you've noted though, - seemingly flat compared to last year.
boldaddy

Postby Force 5 Robert » Wed Feb 09, 2011 8:55 am

Well, there is no "rattlesnake" type climb this year, but to me those are the easiest ones - you can get into a gear and just spin spin spin. The shirt up and down pitches can get you in the end. I still think this will be an epic ride. Stoked.
http://rosecityrecumbentcycles.com/
Force 5 Robert

Postby wayneh » Wed Feb 09, 2011 9:10 am

Congrats to johnncarol for signing up again. Should make for epic birthdays. Regarding the difficulty, other than Day 6 which looks to be up there as far as challenging goes, I think we'll see more short ups and downs with lots of cruising mixed in. A challenge might be the winds along the coast, not sure which way they blow that time of year. Anyone know? Regardless, went to the kick off party, lots of enthusiastic people ready to go. Should be an awesome week. Woohoo!
wayneh

Postby cheneyt119 » Wed Feb 09, 2011 11:28 am

I just signed up and I'm really juiced to go already. I know the topic is ride difficulty (ie route) but on the Oregon Coast it's all about the weather. I've done 3 loaded tours from Astoria to Brookings and in my opinion weather is just about everything. You end up dressing like December if it's raining, full raingear, wet feet, fenders for heavens sake.

Another issue is weird places like the bridge into North Bend/Coos Bay. With 30 mph crosswinds and the very narrow sidewalk 18 inches above the road deck, that stinking bridge is the only place, in my life, I ever got off my bike and had to walk it to the top bridge. I picked up the bike, got on the roadway and rode down but the shame of walking up the sidewalk, pedals jabbing me in my calf, pretty bad traffic and not a pleasant memory.

The climb out of Coos Bay (Charleston) to Bandon is called Seven Devils Rd and that's no different than training rides I do 3 times a week, I don't know 800 ft 30 miles, that sort of thing. It's hilly not mountainous, if that makes any sense to you.

Weather again is a big factor in the camping aspect. Have fun taking off your raingear at night and having to put it on wet again in the morning. Yuk! I stopped in Florence once just to put my wet junk into a dryer and make it useful again.

My point is be prepared with equipment and a brain full of optmism (hard for me sometimes). After a long summer of nicer weather I always seem to forget just how much different the climate is out there. I was rained out in Bandon and stayed at the hostile there and got so depressed I went charter fishing the next day. I threw a crab feed at the hostile that night. So the mental aspect is critical.
cheneyt119

Postby Force 5 Robert » Wed Feb 09, 2011 1:28 pm

Agreed on the weather. Taking a look at the almanac for the past few years of a few of the locations on the route shows great temps though (lows in the 40's and highs in the 60's and 70's) and minimum rain, so we will be hoping for the best and preparing for the worst. :D

Looks overall though like a perfect time of year to be in that area.
http://rosecityrecumbentcycles.com/
Force 5 Robert

Postby Chuck B. » Wed Feb 09, 2011 1:29 pm

I've started shopping for fenders...
The voices tell the stories. I just record them for posterity.

And the voices have some good ideas sometimes!
Chuck B.

Postby cheneyt119 » Wed Feb 09, 2011 2:47 pm

Turns out I was actually staying at the hostel, and they were nice to me not hostile.
cheneyt119

Postby Leedo » Wed Feb 09, 2011 3:45 pm

I lived in Roseburg for 2 years during my high school years so I'm very familiar with the fall seasons. You get either mild and 60-70 or raining and 50 with very little in between. In Sutherlin it may be 80 and sunny but that very same day it can be 52 and raining in Reedsport. Commuting in the Seattle area has equiped me for just about any type of weather except ice. Now it's just a matter of finding a way to pack all the gear I might need.

I am also familiar with the hills. They may not be high mountains but they are steep and numerous. Anyone from the Roseburg area will cringe when I say that a friend and I rode up Calahan Ridge one particularly sunny spring day. As we were riding down we scared the crap out of a logging truck coming up (that road has some serious switchbacks and is only 1 lane in places).

Looks like the route stops at Melrose Winery and then goes by River Forks Park west of Roseburg. That will bring back some serious flashbacks... Maybe I should wear hammer pants and a Hypercolor shirt to complete the experience?

Anyway, registration complete. Looking forward to the next 7 months of training... 8)
Image - Leedo

A.K.A. Supergrover
My Blog: normalguytri.com
Twitter: @normalguytri
Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/leedo
Leedo

Postby trekster » Wed Feb 09, 2011 6:14 pm

Wind direction.... having done a lot of hang gliding on the coast several years back I can safely say that the wind is typically out of the north in the Summer time...however, if a weather front is approaching you will get winds out of the South. With that said, coming out of the Coast Range towards the Coast you most likely will have a head wind. Now all this could change for the good if there is a high pressure system to the East which usually negates any wind on the beach.
trekster

Postby John A Campbell » Thu Feb 10, 2011 1:17 pm

Hmmm Layover day in the world capitol of wind chimes. Another hint from Jonathan?
John A Campbell

Postby numbnuts » Fri Feb 11, 2011 2:48 pm

If it's anything like the coast here in California, you have either climbing or descending. There are no flat sections. C.O. is aways good so I am sure the total climb altitude will be impressive.

The flat section is just over the next hill
numbnuts

Postby leisure1 » Wed Feb 16, 2011 9:21 am

Statistically - It is just about exactly average.
Here are the statistics:
2011 Cycle Oregon:
Miles: No Option = 409 With Option = 499
Elevation: No Option = 20,537 With Option = 24,865
Average All Cycle Oregons:
Miles: No Option = 425 With Option = 494
Elevation: No Option = 20,412 With Option = 23,879
leisure1

Postby johnncarol » Wed Feb 16, 2011 10:40 am

I am really surprised at the elevation and frankly, we were hoping for something less than 20,000. The 24,000 last year was pretty tough for seniors on a tandem. The whole ride must be small ups and downs. I have ridden the coast and I know about that section. Guess I had best rethink our training plan. :|

Two questions, do you have the elevation broken down by day and what kind of software did you use to get the elevation. My experience with mapmyride is that they always under call the elevation by a significant amount. My understanding is that because of the frequency of their elevation measurements they miss many of the smaller hills.
johnncarol

Next

Return to 2011 Week Ride - September 10-17