Training

Moderators: Cowboy, Jackson, chris@cycleoregon

Re: Training

Postby On Your Left » Sun Apr 17, 2011 1:31 am

Seems like this year is a ditto of last year for my training: I ride thousands of miles from the prior CO week ride right through February. 2-300 miles a week at times. For whatever reason, once March and April come around, I hit the proverbial weather wall. During winter, it's easy to calculate what I need for an all-day ride since weather patterns seem stable across a 24-hour period.

Once March rolls around, I discover 1) though I've got some bombproof weather gear for the absolute worst, I'm simply tired of putting it all on day, after day, after day into infinity. I end up yearing for the simple ride prep of shorts, jersey, shoes, air in the tires and ride. One layer.

On the up side, I juggle my routine to include weights 2X week and some lap swimming to keep my back nice and stretchy. Still manage to ride Mt. Tabor repeats twice a week and then a 50 mile flat ride on weekends. It's not hot spot century fit, but I think it's keeping the legs ready for climbing. 10 repeats of Mt. Tabor 2 day = 4,000' gain / 33 miles. Do that twice weekly and fast flat thirty or fifty milers in between perhaps. It's all good . . . I love absorbing the nearby ambience of the landscape as I zip around on my bike.
On Your Left

Postby wowens » Wed May 11, 2011 6:05 pm

I have no clue how to train for this thing. I just rode in the Austin to Shiner 100 miler this last weekend (with a 20 mile an hour head wind). This was my first century and was primarily to build a little confidence before traveling to Oregon for what seems to an amazing ride. I tend to agree with the previous post that the journey will be as important to me as the physical aspect of riding it and trying to push myself. I have never been to Oregon so I am trying to temper my competitive nature for this event. I don't want to miss a thing.

I plan on riding as many miles as I can before getting up there and smiling during each and every mile along the way.
wowens

Postby Shifty » Thu May 12, 2011 3:27 pm

@ wowens:
If you've already completed a century you are well on your way to being ready for CO. Keep up the distance rides and do lots of hill training and you'll have a great time.
The most important thing you'll need to train for is the excess of green colors all around you in Oregon. To train make big posters of green trees with blue skies on top, then put these around your bike on a trainer, you'll be ready.
You can also copy this and blow it up to poster size for training
Clip in and let's go!
Shifty

Postby Rugbydad » Fri May 13, 2011 12:15 pm

Think days in a row with Milage. Did my 1st one in 2003. Awesome Ride through Brownlee minus the rain. This will be my 2nd and you will get lots of advice Milage plus. Good Luck and Welcome to R-E-G-U-N from a 55 year old Native Oregonian. Widmer Brewing has awesome Brews, Drop Top and hopefuul a nice Tall Blonde. To Many Happy Miles and A GREAT CO
Rugbydad

Postby johnncarol » Fri May 13, 2011 8:28 pm

Good advice to ride hills as you will ride them in Oregon. You live in Austin, right. You can go out and ride the overpass on the highway, back and forth a few times. Isn't Texas the state where if you are up on a horse you can see 50 miles :D

You are going to do do just fine and you will have a wonderful time. Great roads, great food, great people, and service that you will not believe possible on a ride this size. The volunteers, both CO and the locals are too good to be true. Meet new friends at meal time, in the beer and wine tent or on the road. They will all share your quest for a great ride.

This is our 5th CO and we are at an age when people start saying we should have better sense but we wouldn't miss it. Well, that's not quite true, after last years ride we considered doing a ride that was a bit less taxing but here we are again.
johnncarol

Postby johnncarol » Wed Jul 27, 2011 2:58 pm

Last year we met a rider from Washington who said he had cleared the waiting list a week prior to the ride so the only thing he could think of to do for training was put a port a potty in his front yard. That is about what I am beginning to feel like this year. In spite of all of our grand plans (see my prior post) things have just not worked out this year. We have both had some health issues that kept up off the bike for a total of 5 weeks and recently we were out of the country for three weeks. The net result is that since the 1st of April we have put only 415 miles on the tandem and I have another 877 on my single bike. We have only done one decent climbing ride and no long rides. We are back to riding this week and are going to have to bust our butts for the next 6 weeks. If nothing else intereferes and we work hard, we might get to a total of 1,200 on the tandem. That does not mean that we won't complete the whole ride without the sag, thanks to that 36 tooth in back. We will just be a bit slower than usual and get to the beer tent a bit later. Thank goodness the epic climb is day 6 after an easy day. :D
johnncarol

Postby mytrot » Wed Jul 27, 2011 10:54 pm

JC
Sorry to hear about the health issues but from some chats I've had with other riders I think you are ahead of many.

Good luck for the next few weeks and see on the ride!

ET
mytrot

Postby Force 5 Robert » Thu Jul 28, 2011 9:43 am

A lot of this depends on your goals for the ride. If you want to be getting to camp early training hard is important. If you are planning to roll along with a 10mph average for the day then maybe TDF style training is not so big a deal.
http://rosecityrecumbentcycles.com/
Force 5 Robert

Postby johnncarol » Thu Jul 28, 2011 11:08 am

With 4 CO's and 4 other 7 day rides under our belt, it has never been about speed. We learned early on. For us, the goal is pretty simple, get to camp at a reasonable hour, early enough to get set up, take a shower and have a couple of beers while visiting with friends and then enjoy dinner. But just as important, or maybe more important, is to be strong enough to do it without killing ourselves. We want to get up the next morning and look forward to another days ride, not be exhausted. Last year we were in good shape and it showed on Rattlesnake pass. We motored up at a stately 5 to 6 mph but had lots of juice left at the top, got to Clarkston at about 3:00 PM and had a great evening. For us, that is what these rides are about. We may be old and slow but our enjoyment factor has been very high. We will have to work a bit harder this year, maybe leave a bit earlier or get in a bit later but our goal is the same as every other year.
johnncarol

Postby John A Campbell » Thu Jul 28, 2011 2:08 pm

In past years I had a really systematic training schedule laid out starting with riding half the distance each day (If Sunday of CO was an 80mi ride my first Sunday would be 40) and a 10% increase/week. I always had trouble sticking to it.

This year I'm doing something entirely different. I usually ride about 4 days a week anyway, and I usually ride about 50 miles when I ride just because. I ride lots of hills because it's fun. In a few weeks I'll start riding five times a week and a few weeks after that I'll start riding six times a week. In other words, I'm not really training this year, just riding a little extra. I think I can stick to that.
John A Campbell

Postby cheneyt119 » Thu Jul 28, 2011 4:44 pm

I feel your pain (literally) in regard to training schedule. I am having some back trouble (surgery on L4-5 disk in 2001, bone on bone now), it's holding back my training. I did 225 in the Columbia Gorge loaded touring over Memorial Day. I did the Tour de Blast Route to Elk Rock, 3800 ft climb over 27 miles before the 4th. I still get 4-7 25-40 mile rides each week now depending on health, weather and scheduling, but I find long rides hard to schedule and since I train alone mostly I tend to get bored/lonely on the longer rides, that shouldn't be a problem on CO.

I'm not that worried, because my back always seems to get better with a little rest. Besides pain is relative, endorphins are powerful and ibuprophen is usually enough to get by.

There's also something I call the "either you are in shape or you are not"
factor. I'm always in pretty good shape. When I rode the Bicycle Tour of Colorado I ran every day. I rode the STP, 150 the first day, but I just ran I didn't really train on the bike all that much. I also went to Colorado a week early and trained at altitude climbing 12,000 ft passes (no biking at all that week prior). I am still able to see significant cardio improvement from doing tough interval training sessions on the treadmill (1 minute intervals, 10% incline 6 mph is tough stuff) and that translates directly to the bike with power. Of course I live in wet Washington and often we are in the wash cycle and you need to be flexible and work in some cross training.
cheneyt119

Previous

Return to 2011 Week Ride - September 10-17