Which bike to ride?

Moderators: Cowboy, Jackson, chris@cycleoregon

Re: Which bike to ride?

Postby raftersteve » Thu Feb 24, 2011 7:36 pm

What every bike you enjoy riding and can ride for hours on end and then repeat and do it again the next day.

If you train well, you'll be able to climb all the hills and take it all in stride. if you can do back to back century rides prior to CO you will be fine on CO.
CO '10,'11,'12,'13
raftersteve

Postby teaspoon » Thu Feb 24, 2011 11:39 pm

It could be a tough decision this year. I have completed 7 COs; the infamous Anthony Lakes ride on a commuter bike (my first year [I didn't know any better]), 5 rides on a Lemond Zurich, and last year the coronation of the Gold Rush. I have never invited the Klein as a week and 500 miles on an aluminum DF may not be that comfortable, although it would be rather quick and responsive. I must say as much as I enjoy my uprights, last year on the Gold Rush was very quick on the rollers, flats, and up to 3 percent. Steeper than 3 percent and it was clearly slower than the uprights. The true bonus was the comfort during the week. The last day was just as comfortable as the first day. While not set in stone it will probably be the Gold Rush as this years route appears to be the perfect ride for tandems and recumbents. My cursory look at Day 6 appears to be nothing more than 2 short climbs of 5 and 6.5 percent at about 4 miles each. The rest of the day involves about 27 miles of climbing at between 0.5 and 1 percent. If somebody calcs this out differently please let me know. The best would be the Lemond for Day 6 and the Gold Rush for the rest of the ride. Well, time to go and get some training miles in. Hmmm……..which bike should I train on?
teaspoon

Robert, you have stoked the fires of my desire

Postby IbisRider » Sun Feb 27, 2011 6:19 pm

for a Recumbent Trike for all of the reasons you mention. You, sir, are an evil man as I have just purchased a new bike. Years ago, I considered an ICE but never pulled the trigger. If I recall correctly, there are or were other alternatives but ICE seemed to be at the top of the heap.

I do have questions for you:
1) I have foot pain on every long ride on the balls of my feet, particularly the left. It seems to be triggered by long hilly rides i.e. caused by the pressure on this area of the foot, particularly climbing. Are you of the opinion that a recumbent trike, particularly an ICE, would help with this problem by mitigating some of the pressure I put on my feet?
Put another way, does your trike result in less pressure in the balls of your feet over a regular bike?
2) What model of ICE did you get and what options did you put on it?
3) Would you recommend a Vortex?
4) Why did you opt for a rack and trunk bag versus the so-called Radical Bags ICE offers?
Thanks,
Glenn
IbisRider

Postby NOCO_rider » Sun Feb 27, 2011 10:06 pm

My .02....can't weigh in on the recumbent and/or trike preferences..
I rode an entry level Ti road bike with Campy Record groupo on it for four years. I then test rode my neighbors Salsa Campeon (we're the same size and build). I was skeptical at first, feeling that the Campeon Scandium frame was basically glorified aluminum. I liked the way it felt, went to my LBS and decided to do the deed. I had the components swapped out from my old bike to a new Campeon frame. Going into my third season now, I am pleased that the feel and ride is surprisingly comparable to my old ride, but with a bit better BB stiffness and percieved climbing effeciency (huge plus for a sorry climber that I am). One caveat tho....I had my new ride professionally fit, which pbly has contributed to the comfort of the new ride.
NOCO_rider

Postby lochmond » Mon Feb 28, 2011 8:01 pm

I can't imagine why a scandluminam ride would be better
than a Ti.
Can you quantify your expierence a bit more?
And, hey, a Ti frame with Campy Record used to be the
highest attainable. Now it's "entry level"?
How the mighty have fallen.
lochmond

Postby NOCO_rider » Mon Feb 28, 2011 9:34 pm

Lochmond - to clarify... the frame is from the apparently now defunct company "Airnborne". This frame is their Zepplin model - 3V/2.5AL tubing. I couldn't afford one of the "Seven" brand frames I was drooling over. I'd been lusting over Campy stuff for as long as I can remember, so had to make some decisions to get the total cost down at the time. Also, I don't feel the Scandium ride is better, just very comparable. High-frequency vibration (the kind that can slowly fatigue hands/arms/shoulders over a long ride)is is nearly non-existent, but the BB stiffness is improved, as I'd expect, partially due to the more-compact rear trianlge. High-speed downhills seem more stable, but I don't believe there is much difference in head tube angle. I haven't ridden a great many road bikes, so can't say what, if any, difference the integrated headset and straighter forks make.
NOCO_rider

Re: Hot Foot Issue

Postby bfuller24 » Tue Mar 01, 2011 8:53 am

Ibis Rider,
I experienced this "hot foot" thing last year during Cycle Oregon. I had changed out my pedals and cleats from the older Look pedals to the newer KEO system. In any event, it was not until I got home and had the opportunity to play around with the position of my cleat on my shoe did I learn that the "hot foot" is caused by pressure on certain nerves and is similar to your hand, leg, or foot "going to sleep". When I moved the cleat all the way back on the shoe as far as it would go with these new KEO pedals and then lowered my seat about .5 inch, the problem evaporated. I really thing it was the move of the cleat that fixed the problem and I now preach this theory to one and all of the "hot foot" sufferers that I encounter.
Hope this helps.
Brad
Stronger today than yesterday but not as strong as tomorrow.
bfuller24

Postby Chuck B. » Tue Mar 01, 2011 9:14 am

I agree completely, Brad. I did that with my shoes and my sandals, and the issues disappeared...
The voices tell the stories. I just record them for posterity.

And the voices have some good ideas sometimes!
Chuck B.

Postby Force 5 Robert » Tue Mar 01, 2011 12:36 pm

Ill echo the comments on moving the cleat back as far as possible - that helped me eliminate the hot foot issue when riding.

As far as the ICE goes - mine is a 2006 QNT. My only real performance upgrade are a set of Rotor Q rings and a rear wheel built around the ICE Capreo hub.

I used to own a set of the radical bags - that is a lighter option for sure. But I found they did not work as well with my hard shell seat. I came across a good price for the rear rack and decided to spring for it. The bag aI already had and use it on my ICE B1.

The Vortex is a sweet trike for sure. I used to long for a large rear wheel but really have grown to like having the same size on all three. Plus the rear suspension rides like a dream.
http://rosecityrecumbentcycles.com/
Force 5 Robert

Postby Brettha » Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:39 am

long days = steel
Brettha

Postby grandpabent » Mon Apr 11, 2011 4:31 pm

I am not sure which bike I will bring.Bent or custom lugged steel All my COs have been on dfs with no problems.Not to rain on anyones parade but my bike this year will have room for fenders.
grandpabent

Postby cheneyt119 » Thu Apr 14, 2011 11:40 am

grandpabent I'm with you on the fenders. I'm still convinced I want to ride the lightest bike I own, the Trek 2300. Your post got me thinking about fenders though.

I have permanent fenders on my touring and cross bikes, they're on there all year and never pose any problems. I ride my racing bikes all winter, I just use the Planet Bike SpeedEZ road fenders, SKS raceblades are more or less the same thing. Some folks hate them, but I've been happy with their performance and versatility. They are easily removed and I don't want them on if I don't NEED them.

For some reason they wouldn't work properly on the 2300 OCVR rear stays, but they worked fine on my 5200 trek. The angle of the fork was so great on the 2300 that jamming 4 layers of old bartape cork under the bottom end of the fender arm adjusted the angle so they work without any rubs or noises. The point is you can ride any bike you want if you are willing to ride the rubber band fastener fenders, because no clearance is necessary under your brakes. I've been using this style fender for years and they are a little fussy at times, but with careful observation (look at them) and you'll work out any difficulties.

I just hope I don't crush them in my monster duffle when I'm not using them.
cheneyt119

Postby mph » Mon Apr 18, 2011 8:28 am

Has any one done this on a Triathlon bike? I have done 2 Ironman 's on this bike (2006, Specialized Transition) Both where Ironman Canada, 112 miles over a large Mtn. pass, I have been riding tri bikes for 20 years..any other triathletes out there ?
mph

Postby checkered_demon » Mon Apr 18, 2011 2:47 pm

I'll be bringing my strap-on fenders this year, along with my older pair of bike shoes in case my regular pair gets soaked. Mornings on the south coast won't be as cold as they are in eastern Oregon, so I may leave the really cold weather gear at home.
The Checkered Demon
checkered_demon

Postby markhappyguy » Thu Apr 21, 2011 10:58 am

I have a 10 yr old Trek 2100 which has been my only road bike until I decided to upgrade to my bamboo Renovo. I wanted a carbon fiber bike but figured I had to pay $3K for a good one so I got the Renovo.

I love it! It's smooth, feels light, and the bamboo smooths out the road bumps. The frame has Ash wood backstays which gives me power going uphills.

I would describe how it rides is that it glides.
markhappyguy

PreviousNext

Return to 2011 Week Ride - September 10-17