Strangest/Most unusual roadside sightings?

Moderators: Cowboy, Jackson, chris@cycleoregon

Strangest/Most unusual roadside sightings?

Postby NOCO_rider » Tue Jul 26, 2011 7:24 pm

During your various rides, how many of you have observed "things" along the roadside that really intrigued you, or otherwise made you wonder "what the ???"

About a decade ago, I was riding down the Oregon coast from Astoria to California. About 3 days into the ride, we passed a large fallen branch in the middle of the road. Right beside this large branch was a dead squirrel. Later that day in "camp", we debated how the squirrel met its demise - was it on the branch when it fell? Was it crossing the road and got hit by the big branch? The theories got much longer as the night/beer wore on.

BTW - if those black rubber "bungee" cords work so well, how come we see so many on the side of the road?
NOCO_rider

Re: Strangest/Most unusual roadside sightings?

Postby Marble » Wed Jul 27, 2011 8:20 am

On the road around Hagg Lake, I saw a dead skunk holding an empty can of Hamm's beer in its arms. Does this say more about this skunk or about this brand of beer?
Clyde
Marble

Postby Chuck B. » Wed Jul 27, 2011 2:33 pm

Probably the beer... :D
The voices tell the stories. I just record them for posterity.

And the voices have some good ideas sometimes!
Chuck B.

Postby johnncarol » Wed Jul 27, 2011 3:01 pm

Who would expect a skunk to know good beer? A skunk and Coors sort of go together.
johnncarol

Postby Force 5 Robert » Wed Jul 27, 2011 3:58 pm

Ours was on the 1010 Cycle Oregon Weekend. Came across this just sitting on the side of the road. We stopped and I took this pic as it sat:

There were no other bones anywhere near it. Decided to bring him home to hang on the wall of the shop. We call him George.

:D

http://rosecityrecumbentcycles.com/
Force 5 Robert

Postby riding2live » Wed Jul 27, 2011 6:28 pm

[quote]by johnncarol » Wed Jul 27, 2011 3:01 pm
Who would expect a skunk to know good beer? A skunk and Coors sort of go together.
/quote]

I drink about two beers a year but TV ads say, "Coors the most refreshing beer in the world!" They wouldn't be lying or maybe false advertising would they? I thought a Coors and a porcupine would go together better so he could "quill" everyone trying to get that "most refreshing" beverage.

Gene "I tried starting a beer garden and never got a single beer from all the empties I buried in the back yard" Jones
Ride like the devil's behind you, becuz he is---and he/she is drivin' a car textin' on the phone.
riding2live

Postby Rugbydad » Thu Jul 28, 2011 11:25 am

Riding up the Clackamas River from Estacada OR. I saw a big ol pair of Granny panties hanging in a tree along side the rode in an area of no Campground.
Rugbydad

Postby Tender Chunks » Thu Jul 28, 2011 6:43 pm

Well, now that you mention it - on one of my recent rides, I noted one of those guard rails - you know, formed into a sort of W shape in profile, kind of roundy, of galvanized sheet steel, typically on treated 8x8's. Anyway, at the end, they have a bent piece (so cars don't skewer themselves if go off the road). Anywho, the roundy piece could, I suppose, if you were prone to be fixated on such things, be construed in a wild moment of cheap beer fueled beer goggles sort of mind set - to bear slight resemblance, to, well ........... buttocks. Anyway, on said ride, I see someone has festooned said buttoxian guardrail endy thingamabob with an undergarment commonly referred to as a "thong". Now there's something you don't see every day! 8)
Tender Chunks

Postby Tender Chunks » Thu Jul 28, 2011 6:46 pm

Come to think of it, another comes to mind. Last weekend, on Fox Hollow Road outside of Eugene, I noted someone had dumped an electric range on the side of the road. (Illegal dumping - the bane of Lane County.) I had made mental note to make a sign reading "Open Range", and hang on same after opening the oven door. There is a well known image of just this somewhere in the southwest desert. You can google it. :P
Tender Chunks

Postby cheneyt119 » Thu Jul 28, 2011 9:00 pm

I was doing the Klein Classic about 10 years ago and the route traveled up the Cowlitz River between Toledo and Salkum. I saw a gentleman taking his pet full grown 900 lb grizzly bear for a walk; "Nice grizzly, good bear." I rode the next 5 miles with my jaw gaping in total disbelief.
Last edited by cheneyt119 on Fri Jul 29, 2011 7:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
cheneyt119

Postby riding2live » Fri Jul 29, 2011 12:02 am

My absolute favorite was six years ago, having just moved to Eugene, during my first year of cycling (age 59) since I was a kid. So there I am riding the south river trail in Eugene just about 1/2 mile east of the EWEB Plaza. Lo and behold, what do I see on the trail ahead. Coming straight at me are two very lovely young ladies riding with NO TOPS on. After my initial surprise I thought to myself, "I'm gonna just love Eugene." Since then I've seen other nature lovers (one walking down Willamette St. near Broadway with a Chihuahua snuggly tucked in and the other a 70 year old lady flashing a motorist that honked at her for crossing in front of him against a red light). I guess she got the last word in that one cuz the guy was speechless after that and I was RISLMAO (Rollin' In the Street Laughin' My A_ _ Off).

Gene "keepin' my eyes wide open all the time" Jones
Ride like the devil's behind you, becuz he is---and he/she is drivin' a car textin' on the phone.
riding2live

Postby Jackson » Fri Jul 29, 2011 7:25 am

I've always enjoyed a local artist taking advantage of what is lying around.
Attachments
turtle rock.jpg
Craig on Turtle Rock
Jackson

Postby bfuller24 » Fri Jul 29, 2011 1:31 pm

Many will have a hard time believing this. In June, a friend and I were riding up in the San Gabriel Mountains, on Gledora Ridge Road, and he asked what kind of animal that was ahead of us on the road. First I thought it a coyote (fairly common sighting) then I changed to bob cat, then it turned and I saw its chocolate color and long tail and recognized it as a small mountain lion. First time I have ever seen a mountain lion in the wild and grew up horseback riding, hunting, camping, and fishing in rural far northern California.
Brad "nature lover now living in Los Angeles County" Fuller
Stronger today than yesterday but not as strong as tomorrow.
bfuller24

Postby Marble » Fri Jul 29, 2011 1:37 pm

The most bizarre thing I have seen is some of the bike jerseys.
Marble

Postby Don Bolton » Mon Aug 01, 2011 10:02 am

Several years back near Willamette Mission State Park there was an um phallus on the edge of the road. It was greasy and blackened to the point which lead me to believe it was some metal part that was roadside. My curiosity got me to verify this on our ride back and um well that's when I learned the truth.

How it ended up there, and in that condition are anybody's guess.

Don "talk about your hard ride" Bolton
Don Bolton

Next

Return to 2011 Week Ride - September 10-17