Bring your mucklucks!!

Moderators: Cowboy, Jackson, chris@cycleoregon

Bring your mucklucks!!

Postby cheneyt119 » Mon Aug 01, 2011 4:53 pm

The temperature in Cottage Grove this minute 4:30 Monday Aug 1 is 85 degrees and sunny, the temperature in Bandon is 58 and sunny, Reedsport is 62 degrees and sunny. That's nearly 25 degrees colder on the coast, even in clear conditions. The record highs in Bandon are only around 75.

I experienced nearly the same conditions in the Columbia River Gorge over Memorial Day and I never took off my tights and insulated Canary jersey, raingear on hand too, mostly for warmth, it really only rained 1 of the 4 days.

I've ridden the entire Oregon Coast several times and I always forget just exactly how cold it is out there in the summer. We are spending 4 nights on the wrong (cold and wet side) of coast range; Reedsport, Bandon, Bandon, Powers. You can bring 65 pounds of gear and I hope everyone remembers to bring the kind of stuff you ride with in the winter. If you are a southern Californian buy the stuff you'll need or you'll wish you did.
Last edited by cheneyt119 on Mon Aug 01, 2011 6:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cheneyt119

Re: Bring your mucklucks!!

Postby Force 5 Robert » Mon Aug 01, 2011 5:21 pm

Amen. This is a great post - reminder for us as we are starting to narrow down the packing list.
http://rosecityrecumbentcycles.com/
Force 5 Robert

Postby Sam » Mon Aug 01, 2011 10:30 pm

Cold? Y'all think that's cold? That's a normal morning here in the sub arctic. Even warm. I actually own mukluks. I'm thinking some rain gear and maybe a long sleeved shirt will be in order. Really excited about the ride. It gets dark about midnight now, so September can't be that far away.
Last edited by Sam on Wed Aug 03, 2011 9:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sam

Postby riding2live » Mon Aug 01, 2011 11:48 pm

"Y'all" ????
Spoken like a true Alaskan, Sam I Am!!
Ride like the devil's behind you, becuz he is---and he/she is drivin' a car textin' on the phone.
riding2live

Postby cheneyt119 » Tue Aug 02, 2011 11:11 am

I guess I agree Sam, it's not cold at 58 and sunny, but if it was 85 yesterday in Cottege Grove you might not be prepared if you don't plan correctly. I realize mukluks are boots used by Inuit peoples. I'm a steelhead fisherman and we just used the term winter steelheading, as chunks of ice were floating downstream and our rod guides are freezing. It's a joke, not to be taken literally.

When I lived in Pocatello Idaho there was no real problem riding in the winter down to 20 degrees. It's a desert so the only thing you needed to keep your extremities warm. Don't count on your water bottle not freezing if exposed to the air, the trick is put them in a jersey pocket so it doesn't.

The first time I did the Seattle to Portland ride, back when they did it the 3rd week of June to give one day riders more daylight. The weather was partly cloudy at the start around 0700. By 0830 it starts to rain and some of the neophytes on this ride were so inexperienced that they wore the white cotton giveaway teeshirt as their outer layer, I guess they didn't bother to bring the tyvec jacket they were given. Well the outcome was predictable, shivering and dropping after 30 minutes of exposure and suffering some degree of hypothermia. I live in Longview along the route. Instead of eating lunch in Lexington, I went home, took a hot bath, threw my gear in the dryer and then rode to Portland.

Tour de Blast can be a very similar experience. Johnston Ridge was 35 degrees and dumping rain in 2003. Try keeping your bike steady descending while you are violently shivering. I saw participants hugging and weeping by the side of the road. Good times!!

I don't intend this post for people from Alaska. You will know what to bring. I just want to remind us folks from the valleys of western Washington and Oregon there is a completely different climate at the beach than in the valley and to plan accordingly. This is supposed to be a vacation not a test of survival.
cheneyt119

Postby grandpabent » Tue Aug 02, 2011 4:48 pm

I plan on packing some wool jerseys ,short and long sleave.Also on the weather front if enough riders bring fenders maybe the H2O will stay away.
grandpabent

Postby Tender Chunks » Tue Aug 02, 2011 6:02 pm

Whilst in Bandon, I thought I'd wear me kilt and sporan, and be sportin' pipes! For evening, perhaps tweed knickers, wool knee socks, military blouse and of course - a tamoshanter on top! With maybe a wee nip from the hip flask of some of Scotland's finest! Oh, and a couple of guttapercha golf balls. :P
Tender Chunks

Postby Sam » Wed Aug 03, 2011 9:44 pm

Good idea Tender Chunks. Nothing like a good single malt to warm you up. Much more pratical than mukluks, y'all.
Sam, I Am
Sam

Return to 2011 Week Ride - September 10-17