timberline ride report

Moderators: Cowboy, Jackson, chris@cycleoregon

timberline ride report

Postby trekie » Mon Aug 08, 2011 11:53 am

Yesterday (sunday) I rode from welches to Timberline. I took the West Leg road from Government Camp to Timberline. The gate is open and the snow is gone from the road. Lots and lots of lupine in bloom all the way up. Broke into sunshine above the cloud layer a mile or so out of rhodedenron. The West Leg road portion of the ride was sunny and beautiful with only one car in the hour and fifteen minutes it took to get up the hill. The parking lot at timberline was full almost all snowboarders. The downside was construction below government camp put me in the car lanes several times.
Scary !!! Total time 2 hours to GC and 1hour 20 or so up to the lodge.
4500 feet elevation 35 miles. Started riding at 6.15 to avoid traffic up hill on sunday. great ride!
trekie

Re: timberline ride report

Postby cheneyt119 » Mon Aug 08, 2011 2:57 pm

I did a 3 day loop ride with the Wheelmen in 95 around Mt. Hood. We started in Gresham, out the gorge to Hood River and ascended the other way from Parkdale.

The road to Timberline is quite a grind so here's an attaboy from me Bravo Zulu! It's kind of intimidating on the descent too, you'd hit a tiny piece of gravel and it would ricochet off your tire and ping when it hit the guard rail.

Construction is ubiquitous this time of year; every county road I ride here in Cowlitz County has 1/2 inch of chip seal gravel on the shoulder. ACK!!!! I feel your pain.

My similar climb is on the Tour de Blast route, I usually just go from Toutle up to Elk Rock, 3800 ft over 55 miles, 27 each way (but most of the climb is the last 11 miles. Weekdays you can have the place to your self and it has very nice shoulders. Nothing builds conditioning like long climbs.
cheneyt119

Return to 2011 Week Ride - September 10-17