Postby n0az » Fri Aug 12, 2011 11:45 am

The handbook describes a 'gear bag' at the lunch stop -
it sounds like we may perhaps shed a jacket there and
pick it up in the overnight town.
That is REALLY slick if I have it right. Chuck
n0az

Re: newbie question

Postby riding2live » Fri Aug 12, 2011 1:35 pm

Yepper, you betcha, ugotit, yer durn tootin', absolutamente. Ususally there are two gear drops along the route each day at which you may shed clothing you no longer deem necessary. Great system instead of trying to carry it back with you.
Ride like the devil's behind you, becuz he is---and he/she is drivin' a car textin' on the phone.
riding2live

Postby Jackson » Fri Aug 12, 2011 8:38 pm

The system is set up to carry clothing only. Usually at the 1st rest stop and at lunch depending on mileage. You'll bag you clothes using recycled tent bags and number them with your rider number. Easy to remember since it will be on your wrist band. Place the bag in the appropriately number box and it should be waiting for you unless your ride faster than the van getting back to camp.
Jackson

Postby Tender Chunks » Fri Aug 12, 2011 10:49 pm

You can't put in cel phones, mp3 players, gps devices, iPads, laptops, grandpa boxes, main frames, engine blocks, trannies, anvils or sledge hammers. Also disallowed at Gear Drop are gas cans, explosives, retro rockets, chicken salad sandwiches, chickens, racoons, possums (dead or alive), wildebeasts, chupacabras or porcupines. To say nothing of spiny sea urchins, or giant ocean squid. So, pretty limited list: Jackets, leg and arm warmers, vests, spouses. The usual stuff. You put your rider number on a piece of tape on outside, and pick them up at camp, where they are laid out (or in numbered boxes) near the CO nerve center. :P
Tender Chunks

Postby straightspoke » Mon Aug 15, 2011 9:16 pm

Uh, I believe dead possums are OK if small.
straightspoke

Postby mytrot » Mon Aug 15, 2011 10:37 pm

"Uh, I believe dead possums are OK if small"

And that is why I start cool and warm up as I go.....don't want my gear with that, or a spouse for that matter!
mytrot

Return to 2011 Week Ride - September 10-17