waiting list

Moderators: Cowboy, Jackson, chris@cycleoregon

waiting list

Postby cassbro33 » Mon Apr 16, 2012 9:38 am

Is there any way to see where I am on the waiting list??
cassbro33

Re: waiting list

Postby Jackson » Mon Apr 16, 2012 9:58 am

Call CO and talk with Ingrid.
Jackson

Postby Marble » Sun Jul 01, 2012 9:01 pm

Does anyone know when the start letting the waiting list people know if they will get in? Bridget and I are in but we have friends that are on the waiting list.

If people who know they are not going to go would tell CO sooner then maybe waiting list people could find out if they can go in time to train. Might make CO have to call fewer people before they find people who are ready and able to go.

Possibly a financial incentive to cancel sooner if you have no doubt you are going.
Marble

Postby Jackson » Tue Jul 03, 2012 6:56 pm

Recommend continuing to train in the hopes of getting in. As this is a milestone anniversary ride, the drop out rate has been slower than normal. If the waiting list is used, it will happen sometime in late August.
Jackson

Postby Mitch@GrantParkpdx » Tue Jul 17, 2012 12:30 pm

I was able to talk with Ingrid during the Weekend ride July 13-15 2012 and learned the following.

She says on any given year she goes to the waiting list to try and fill +/-30 to 50 spots. Every year is different and there is no crystal ball how many she will need to fill in 2012. Her past experience has been that she has had to contact between 5 to 10 people on the waiting list to find one person who say yes. Based on this math if you are #150 to #300 on the waiting list or less you may get a call. She did not say this but rather this is my math based on her comment.

She also said that every year she tracks the cancellations. This year to date there has not been as many as years past. She does not know why.

I am #72 on the WL. I hope others update this forum when their number is called or if other information becomes available. Meanwhile keep training as if you will get in.
Mitch@GrantParkpdx

Postby Jackson » Thu Aug 30, 2012 11:06 am

CO has started pulling from the waiting list. There in a holding pattern now. When they started calling the waiting list people the regular drop out rate had increased. As that slowed, the put the waiting list on hold again.
Jackson

Postby Mitch@GrantParkpdx » Tue Sep 04, 2012 12:32 pm

Thanks Jackson for your latest update.

You seem to be ± in the know on the subject so I would like to ask if we WL'isters can impose on you to add another update these last few days if you can. I am reluctant to contact Ingrid again as I am sure she is doing her best and may still not know if or how far the WL contact's may go. So any news that you may have good or bad would be helpful. I am assuming Friday is a travel day for CO staff and therefore if we do not hear by Thursday well then that's probably a no-go.

So thanks again for any updates you may provide.
Mitch@GrantParkpdx

Postby Jackson » Wed Sep 05, 2012 9:12 am

If you haven't received a call yet, it's safe to assume that they will not be calling anyone else for this years event. Packets were put together last week and it will already be a large crowd. Rider Services heads out tomorrow with the majority of the volunteers heading out on Friday.
Jackson

Postby Mitch@GrantParkpdx » Mon Sep 10, 2012 12:19 pm

AS FYI, my friends on the ride were able to talk with Ingrid in Bly. About 50 people from the waiting list were contacted. She did not say how many of the 50 agreed to go. As mentioned in several of the posts here and elswhere, She confirmed that the number of cancellations were lower than years past.

If CO has a WL in the future, and you find yourself on it, my personal advice is to have a Plan B. After training all spring and summer for the 40,000 vertical feet of climbing, I suggest taking the week off as planned and do your own bike mini-tour to clear your mind. Try not to think about your friends on the ride,the stunning vistas and shear pleasure of stomping out an 8-10% grade on a road you have never been on before. Keep riding as much as you can.
Mitch@GrantParkpdx

Return to 2012 Week Ride - September 8-15