Any security watchouts?

Moderators: Cowboy, Jackson, chris@cycleoregon

Any security watchouts?

Postby weyst1 » Fri Aug 17, 2012 12:08 pm

Hi all - this will be my first year at Cycle Oregon. Can you share some of the security watch-outs? For example, do I need to bring a lock for my bike? Any concern around general theft, etc?

Thanks,
Emily
weyst1

Re: Any security watchouts?

Postby mytrot » Fri Aug 17, 2012 2:40 pm

Emily,
I have done the 4 previous. I would say a lock is generally not needed. If you plan to leave it outside in the bigger towns, Ashland/K Falls maybe.

At night in camp, not likely. There will be at least 1500 not locked up!

And I have never heard of issues with people raiding tents for other items.

I usually hang clothes out and they are always there when I return from town/meals. People leave cell phones charging at any plug and they seem to stay put.

In general, very safe.
mytrot

Postby johnncarol » Fri Aug 17, 2012 4:06 pm

We have done five and never secured anything. Hwever, I do put things like a watch, wallet and money in a hidden pocket in my bag while I go to shower. I do not take anything valuable to the shower truck. I have never heard of a problem at the trucks but a bit of caution can't hurt. The bike is an expensive tandem and we leave it at the tent, unsecured. We have also not secured the bike at rest stops or lunches. Clothes are scattered everywhere, on bikes, on tents, on fences, etc. I have never heard of anyone losing closthes.
johnncarol

Postby badger » Sat Aug 18, 2012 9:11 am

I have done 6 COs and the only thing I have heard gone missing was a brand new pair of sandals at the showers. An older pair was left behind!!
badger

Postby David R » Sat Aug 18, 2012 7:56 pm

As for bike security, I just find a bike that is twice as expensive as mine and I park next to it. In ten years have never lockes or lost a bike.
David R

Postby raftersteve » Mon Aug 20, 2012 8:58 am

Hi Emily,

you are going to have a great time. Don't over pack! but be sure to bring something nice and soft to sleep on.
CO '10,'11,'12,'13
raftersteve

Postby weyst1 » Thu Aug 30, 2012 9:34 am

Thanks everybody!
weyst1

Postby mytrot » Thu Aug 30, 2012 11:21 am

note that CO is recommending a lock if you plan on heading in to Ashland or use their bike corral.
mytrot

Postby raftersteve » Wed Sep 05, 2012 1:26 pm

Isn't Ashland a very progressive town? Why would you need a lock there, when you didn't need one in say Pendelton....

sorry couldn't help it!
CO '10,'11,'12,'13
raftersteve

Postby StarlightPurpleIF » Wed Sep 05, 2012 3:57 pm

raftersteve wrote:Isn't Ashland a very progressive town? Why would you need a lock there, when you didn't need one in say Pendelton....

sorry couldn't help it!

You should have tried harder. From the Pendleton Police Department's Web Site:

"Bicycle theft is on the rise. The increasing popularity of bicycling as a sport and means of transportation have made bicycles an easy target for thieves. Many stolen bikes are recovered by police but there is not way to identify the owner. You can register your bike by serial number in our computer database and apply a special number. If your bike is stolen, it can be identified and you can prove ownership. Just bring your bicycle to the Police Department and we'll have it registered in no time. Protect your bike and your investment, register today!"

http://ppd.pendleton.or.us/faq_bicyclists
StarlightPurpleIF

Postby Chuck B. » Mon Sep 17, 2012 2:28 pm

There was a bike stolen less then ten feet from where mine was at Klamath Falls. The guy whose bike was stolen said that he heard that two others were taken the same night...
The voices tell the stories. I just record them for posterity.

And the voices have some good ideas sometimes!
Chuck B.

Postby StarlightPurpleIF » Mon Sep 17, 2012 6:15 pm

Chuck B. wrote:There was a bike stolen less then ten feet from where mine was at Klamath Falls. The guy whose bike was stolen said that he heard that two others were taken the same night...

That's what a mechanic told me at Bly on Saturday. Three bikes lifted. I am curious to know the details.
StarlightPurpleIF

Postby tbcpn » Mon Sep 17, 2012 9:33 pm

Saw this above the fold on the K-Falls newspaper Sunday:

http://www.heraldandnews.com/breaking/a ... f887a.html
tbcpn

Postby Shifty » Tue Sep 18, 2012 9:18 am

Last year Cottage Grove provided uniformed security people for the camp areas the entire time we were there, it was a great idea. I was camped in Coiner Park and the two security officers there were walking around day and night keeping watch.
I have to say that among all of the towns I've visited with CO over the years, K Falls had a certain sleaze factor that was a bit unsettling. The lake and the park we camped at was fantastic, but the town...not so much. Maybe it was the direct comparison with the time in Ashland, but I really felt it.
Sorry to those five who had their bikes ripped off.
Clip in and let's go!
Shifty

Postby David R » Tue Sep 18, 2012 11:17 am

In 10 years of CO I have only locked my bike up twice, Ashland and Kalamath Falls. There have been plenty of other towns that made me nervous and while at those towns I made a point of placing my bike deep in the camp ground. I understand a bike was stolen at Bandon last year.

I'm most curious as to were these bikes were when they were stolen.
David R

Return to 2012 Week Ride - September 8-15