Who's new this year???

Moderators: Cowboy, Jackson, chris@cycleoregon

Who's new this year???

Postby raftersteve » Mon Aug 20, 2012 9:04 am

This will be my 3rd CO. I remember back to my first, I had no idea what I was getting into. Its hard to imagine that there are not a lot of new people comming this year. So if that is you, let's hear from you! Who are you? What are you ridding and most importantly do you have any questions?? that we can help you with!?!

I love welcoming new riders and helping people

-s
CO '10,'11,'12,'13
raftersteve

Re: Who's new this year???

Postby Letmi » Tue Aug 21, 2012 9:28 am

My Dad and I will be first timers this year. I didn't know there was a lower percentage of new people this time around.

The ride is a present from my aunt who has done the ride I think twice already, I'm not sure! So, we're basically following her lead.

Riding about 100 miles a week down here in southern california. It's been so hot lately though, the mileage has scaled back some, hoping I'm not losing any fitness! I don't have any specific questions since the handbook does a pretty good job of laying it all out, but if anything comes up, I'll be asking!
Letmi

Postby dulcitea » Wed Aug 22, 2012 7:54 pm

Thanks for being so welcoming! It helps relieve my anxiety about those hills (it is pretty flat here) knowing there are kind people like you on the ride. Did I read this wrong: there seems to be around twice as much climbing this OC as in previous OCs? Thanks!
dulcitea

Postby RichW » Wed Aug 22, 2012 8:22 pm

This is going to be my and my wife's first time. We have wanted to do it the last couple of years,but it never worked out. No excuses this year.. Its our 25th Anniversary (while in Ashland), so it seemed appropriate. Very excited, but like other So Cal riders, hills are not that common. Been getting in about 120/week and working hard at it. Hoping we will be ready. Either way, we will try to enjoy every minute. See everyone there! :lol:
RichW

Postby Jackson » Wed Aug 22, 2012 8:41 pm

Get in the miles and everything else will work out. Don't over think each day. You only need to make it to the next stop. Take a break, have some water or a snack then continue to the next stop. Before you know it, that day's ride will be over.

Having done this once as a rider, the first few days are the hardest unless you've trained with back to back rides. After that, terrain really doesn't matter. Enjoy yourself, you're on vacation and it's not a race.
Jackson

Postby tif » Mon Aug 27, 2012 1:02 pm

My husband and I are new to CO this year! We're very excited and I'm nervous! I haven't been on the bike in a week due to my demanding work schedule. Hopefully I'll be alright on CO. I go at a turtle's pace but I enjoy all the sites and sounds.
tif

Postby Chuck B. » Tue Aug 28, 2012 9:11 am

Jackson wrote:Get in the miles and everything else will work out. Don't over think each day. You only need to make it to the next stop. Take a break, have some water or a snack then continue to the next stop. Before you know it, that day's ride will be over.

Having done this once as a rider, the first few days are the hardest unless you've trained with back to back rides. After that, terrain really doesn't matter. Enjoy yourself, you're on vacation and it's not a race.

Plus 1 for what Jackson says here. The last couple of CO's my fitness has come from climbing mega numbers of stairs at work rather than on the bike, and I've managed to survive. Just don't stress yourself out, and keep food in your belly and you'll be fine. Just take it one leg at a time, and keep on spinning! Some people act like it's a race, but it's still just a very scenic ride...
The voices tell the stories. I just record them for posterity.

And the voices have some good ideas sometimes!
Chuck B.

Postby johnncarol » Tue Aug 28, 2012 11:02 am

We have done CO five times, the first one was CO 15, ten years ago. All five rides have been on a Tandem and we are people of a certain age. On the first ride our combined age was 125. We sort of learned the hard way about preparation and doing the ride and at this point, whatever preparation you have done will have to suffice. One important lesson we have learned is to take it easy for the first two days and that is sometime hard to do. That first morning you will be excited, anxious and the adrenaline will be rushing and there will be a strong tendancy to go too fast. If you do and exhaust yourself in the process, it is hard to recover and the rest of the week will not be as much fun as it should be. On those first two days it helps to set some time goals for each stop and if you get there early, take some extra time off the bike. Make yourself slow down. We always tried to keep in mind that as long as we got to camp by 4:00 PM we were in good shape.

Have a great ride. Sorry we will miss it this year.
johnncarol

Postby hdfatboy98 » Wed Aug 29, 2012 12:13 pm

Well I have 2 - 54 year olds from the flatlands of New Jersey coming. Only been riding for little over 2 years now and have never attempted a multi-event trip.
Have done over 2800 miles since March and over 75,000 feet of total elevation but still nervous.
Also haven't slept in a tent in over 35 years.
Any "Must haves" I need to know about or anything a "Newbie" wouldn't think of.
Any advise appreciated.
See you there.
hdfatboy98

Postby David R » Wed Aug 29, 2012 12:45 pm

Butt butter and one dollar bills
David R

Postby mytrot » Wed Aug 29, 2012 1:10 pm

HD
Check out the packing list in the handbook and cyclingsite. It has most of what you need.
Don't bring food. Plenty to eat on CO.
This year, long sleeve shirts and bug spray! Flashlight too. No moon this year and those 2AM trips to the Blue Room could get dicety in the dark.
Chair is nice, but not required.
You have ridden plenty and will be fine!
A good sleeping pad is key! After that, you can get by without much extra.

ELT
mytrot

Postby AngryKnees » Wed Aug 29, 2012 1:30 pm

Definitely $1 bills. Bring lots - I usually bring at least 50.00 in singles. Tip liberally. Make sure to stop at every lemonade stand.

Lip balm/chapstick also helps. We're on the dry side for a good portion of the ride.

And... don't forget you're allowed to stop and take a break along the way if the hills get a little long. You won't be the only one.

Otherwise, just relax, enjoy the scenery, and just try to keep the pedals turning. Definitely do your best to keep a positive mental attitude and you'll do just fine.
AngryKnees

Postby monkypanda » Wed Aug 29, 2012 3:44 pm

raftersteve wrote:This will be my 3rd CO. I remember back to my first, I had no idea what I was getting into. Its hard to imagine that there are not a lot of new people comming this year. So if that is you, let's hear from you! Who are you? What are you ridding and most importantly do you have any questions?? that we can help you with!?!

I love welcoming new riders and helping people

-s

This will be my first CO and I'm bringing three others with me.

I rode a lot this year, but coming from the flatlands of Houston, TX it's hard to know what to expect from Crater Lake / Mt Ashland so I put on a 11-28 cassette. I'm 32 so I expect it'll be fine.

We're coming from sea level, so I wonder if altitude will be an issue? Also, going from temps in the mid/high 90s to lows in the 30s will be an interesting shock I expect :P

-Kevin
monkypanda

Postby David R » Wed Aug 29, 2012 3:54 pm

11-28 is great if you are running a tripple of front. Will most likely be fine if you are running a compact crank and might not be enough if you are running a standard 53/39 up front. That said, I'll be running a 50/34 with a 11-26 this year but I'm much better shape than most.

The funny thing about alt. is you won't notice it. You will get less air and you will ride slower but you will feel the same pain as always. This is were the gearing becomes important, not because of the grade of the road but just like a car makes less hp at alt. so do we. While you might push a 39/26 up 6% at sea level, you might not be able to do that at 6,000 ft. If in doubt error with more gear this year.
David R

Postby mytrot » Wed Aug 29, 2012 6:11 pm

I'm riding a double for the first time. Many years of triples. 50/34 with a 11-28. I have tested it on some sustained 4-6% and some short 10+ slopes. Seems to work. I lost a little low end from my triple but should be OK. I'm 48 so at 32 with a 28 in back (39 or 34 front?) you should be fine.

Regardless you will likely have plenty of company whatever your speed unless you leave early and ride fast.
mytrot

Next

Return to 2012 Week Ride - September 8-15