Midges in K. Falls

Moderators: Cowboy, Jackson, chris@cycleoregon

Midges in K. Falls

Postby dunshay04 » Wed Sep 05, 2012 10:02 pm

My mom lives in K. Falls near the lake and reports that the midges are the worst they have ever seen. If you don't know what a midge is or what it looks like, Google it. They have 1 week to be gone. :evil:

The Klamath Falls Midge begins to appear in late June or early July in small numbers but swarms of them can be seen from mid July and they continue through most of September. This mouthless insect does not bite but it is a constant nuisance for everyone who lives near the Upper Klamath Lake and the A Canal.
dunshay04

Re: Midges in K. Falls

Postby Routearrows » Wed Sep 05, 2012 11:20 pm

Those bugs are NASTY! I've driven through there at night and had to stop almost every mile to wipe the thick coating of dead bugs off my headlights and windshield so I could see the road. All the traffic had to go slow and stop frequently as well. Amazing amounts of bugs in these swarms! It will be interesting cycling through that! Maybe I should bring a dust mask?!
Randall
Routearrows

Re: Midges in K. Falls

Postby AllCOVet » Thu Sep 06, 2012 7:42 am

Thanks for the tip.
So if they aren't gone. What will be the best way to handle them while in camp & on the road? Insect repellant or ...
When can we expect begin to experience them arriving from west & then stop dealing with them on the way out to Bly?
AllCOVet

Return to 2012 Week Ride - September 8-15