Tease for 2013?

Moderators: Cowboy, Jackson, chris@cycleoregon

Tease for 2013?

Postby Leedo » Fri Sep 14, 2012 8:00 pm

It's 8pm on Day 6 of CO 2012. Did Jonathan deliver a tease for 2013 during his closing remarks tonight?

Inquiring minds want to know... }B^)
Image - Leedo

A.K.A. Supergrover
My Blog: normalguytri.com
Twitter: @normalguytri
Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/leedo
Leedo

Re: Tease for 2013?

Postby EZPZ » Sun Sep 16, 2012 11:16 am

The don't know yet. I heard that a decision will be made in October. There are two routes in planning and they haven't picked which one yet.
EZPZ

Postby R-3 fan » Tue Sep 18, 2012 10:28 pm

There was an article in Sundays Oregonian about cycle oregon. They talked about maybe branching out - offering a second week long route to appeal to the "hardcore" cyclist and tone down the september ride to appeal to a wider demographic.
R-3 fan

Postby Sam » Wed Sep 19, 2012 9:36 am

I think adding a new ride for those who want to get up before dawn and ride as fast as possible from point A to point B is a good idea. But I really hope in the process they don't dumb down/tone down, however you want to put it, the week ride. There are plenty of rides out there where you don't really have to train and can ride 35-45 miles per day. The beauty of Cycle Oregon has always been the challenge it presents (along with, of course the beautiful scenery and the wonderful people we meet along the way!). If you don't want to put in the miles all summer, don't sign up. I'm not sure what can be done to attract a different demographic until the economy rebounds. Getting the "younger" demographic is always going to be a challenge because many in that category can't come because of obligations to children. And the last thing I would like to see is any effort to make it a family friendly ride. Just waiting anxiously to see what the next year's ride is all about!
Sam

Postby StarlightPurpleIF » Wed Sep 19, 2012 1:04 pm

Maybe a "Keep Cycle Oregon Challenging" or something similar bumper sticker is in order.
StarlightPurpleIF

Postby cheneyt119 » Tue Sep 25, 2012 12:05 pm

I did a club ride over the weekend and the three people on it who had ridden Cycle Oregon said they wouldn't do it again. One because it was just way way too many people. One said that it was very clicheish and if you weren't in a group he was amazed at just how alone you could be among that many people. I agreed with them.

Then there's me and I think for $900 you should get decent food. I thought breakfast and dinner was terrible. You guys driving BMW's may not give a second thought to $900 but I expect a lot more. I even broke a tooth on a $4 piece of pizza.

If you really want a bigger demographic do the ride in July so students, teachers can come and you have more daylight. Ride the Rockies is in June. September makes you exclusive whether you realize it or not.

Now start taking pot shots at me, because any criticism of your blessed little ride is heresy. Those pot shots are the other reason I cancelled my registration for 2012. I didn't want to be guilty by association. Cycle Oregon is a great organization for bike advocacy but the riders are a pretty thin skinned lot.
cheneyt119

Postby Shifty » Tue Sep 25, 2012 5:40 pm

I don't know that that many will take "pot shots" at you for saying what you feel about Cycle Oregon, we all have opinions. After the forum debates two years ago about the rodeo, I have respect of how so many expressed their opinions so freely in a civil fashion.

I also filled out the CO survey that came after this year's ride and I marked them low on breakfast....ugggggh! However, I left camp on my bike full, and after all, there was enough fruit, yogurt and oatmeal to do the job of getting me to lunch. I thought the dinner offerings were better this year, I take vegetarian meals on CO, but even the meat offerings looked better from where I sat. That said, I did very much enjoy the layover day in Ashland, where I ate every meal away from camp, I found some REALLY great food in that town.

In July there is the Oregon Bicycle Ride for seven days. It's a nice ride and they limit it to 350 riders, so that takes care of the other problem that you mention. Next year OBR will be riding around the Wallowa Mountains, which is a really great ride, check that one out too.

Peace.....CO isn't for everyone, we all know that.
Clip in and let's go!
Shifty

Postby lochmond » Tue Sep 25, 2012 7:21 pm

Ashland also has some of the best icecream anywhere.
Have you tried the salted caramel in the little shop
by the bridge?
lochmond

Postby spokhand » Tue Sep 25, 2012 8:58 pm

We can all find faults if we look hard enough. If you choose to be negative and wish to whine then maybe you should do your own thing. I have done 5 CO's, I'm in the older demographic, my joints hurt, etc. etc. But,...I ride CO because I like to ride and enjoy the challenge. It gives me a target for the end of the summer. If you really want to complain about bad food, ride across the US self-supported, you'll learn to eat whatever is there.
spokhand

Postby mytrot » Tue Sep 25, 2012 10:21 pm

Cheney
The food is not 4 star but certainly acceptable and plentiful. OK, a little tired of eggs at the end but never went hungry.

I don't think the price is that bad for what is provided (I drive Toyota's! Last one for 235k). And obviously you are in enough of a minority that CO does not have to worry about success.

Is it better with a group, certainly. But I have never had issues with chatting with folks throughout the day and even adding riders to the days run. Its what YOU make of it.

You are correct, it is a lot of people and that does bring issues. If its not your deal, go elsewhere, there are options without berating CO for its successful plan.

And you are correct again about September. As for me, childless, there are plenty of activities for families, this version of the week ride does not need to change to meet that need! Check out the weekend version in July. More suitable for families and plenty were there this year!

This was my fifth and hopefully not my last. You and the naysayers will not be missed.......you can't please everyone with a single event.

Proud to be part of CO!!!
mytrot

Postby StarlightPurpleIF » Wed Sep 26, 2012 7:09 am

Alone? My GF is a much stronger climber than I am, so I often found her waiting for me at stops. In the mean time, I interacted with a lot of people. I even sang for a few of them during the climb from Butte Falls. "Roland searched the continent for the man who'd done him in. He found him in Mombassa in a bar room drinking gin...." One of my more favorite moments was chatting with a woman at the Day 1 lunch stop about its similarity to the dust bowl camprgound in Mitchell back in '02. And, amazingly, I rant into a volunteer I had gone to junior high with back in the 70s and another volunteer I went to professional school with in '90-'91.

The size of the crowd is what it is and was not a secret prior to egistration. As noted, a ride as large is not for everyone. There are plenty of smaller rides out there. Give CANDISC a try. It may change the way you think about North Dakota.

The food wasn't gourmet, but it wasn't horrible either. I have had worse on supported rides. And I understand that it can't always be as good as what I can usually whip up when touring self-contained:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/davez2007/ ... hotostream

Cracking a tooth on a slice of pizza is a sure sign of a pre-existing condition.

Not so sure a lot of people would want to ride through some of those areas in the heat of July and with more tourist traffic on the roads.

'95 Mazda Protege with less than 108,000 miles, many of which were put on by my mom when we shared the car.
StarlightPurpleIF

Postby David R » Wed Sep 26, 2012 9:20 am

We are being Trolled.

Cheney, is quick to complain about the food, and even claims to have broken a tooth on pizza but then says he cancelled his 2012 registration. How could he be at CO if he cancelled his registration? How can he comment on this years food or crowds if he wasn't there?

I'm guessing Cheney missed CO because he registered too late and is now trying to discourage new people from being intrested in CO so that there will be room for him next year.
David R

Postby StarlightPurpleIF » Wed Sep 26, 2012 12:57 pm

I thought he was referring to his '11 experience. What I don't understand is why he registered for '12 if he doesn't like the ride, assuming he actually did register.

In any event, it is probably best to ignore him. It's clear his aim is to inflame.
StarlightPurpleIF

Postby leisure1 » Wed Oct 17, 2012 10:53 am

You should have been around for CO #4. For starters – the communities were responsible for planning the meals. There was no variety and they always ran out. Forget about yogurt in the morning and salad at dinner. Also – there was no tent to eat (also no tables and chairs). On the second night they had power problems and it took three hours to cook fish and corn on one grill. We didn’t get breakfast the next morning. Day 6 was 104 miles. By the time we got to dinner all that was left was spaghetti – no sauce, no bread, no salad, no desert. By day six we were carrying a jar of peanut butter with us.

At the rest stops the only food was bananas – and only because Fred Meyer was the sponsor and they felt sorry for us having no food – gads did I eat a lot of bananas!

There was no entertainment, no beer garden, no pizzicato, no gear drop – and the gear you had to carry all day wasn’t nearly as nice and light as it is today.

There were very few toilets – talk about LONG lines!

CO-4 still is technically the hardest of all the CO’s. It was certainly the hardest thing I have ever done in my life and I still remember every mile of the ride. For some crazy reason we went back the next year – and every year since. Must be nuts I guess.

Frankly I am pretty happy with the accommodations. Not perfect – but considering the number of riders and the logistics I am continually amazed that they pull it off. And I am also extremely grateful to all the unpaid volunteers that come back every year to help make it all happen!
leisure1

Postby lochmond » Wed Oct 17, 2012 6:27 pm

The reports from CO4 are what got me to sign up for CO5 (and eight more after that). I think it's gone downhill since then.
lochmond

Next

Return to 2012 Week Ride - September 8-15